Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Coach Stalled in NM Mountains

We have a 2011 Tuscany 40LX. Haven't had any significant problems until this trip to Red River, NM. As we were making the climb to Bobcat Pass, the check engine light came on indicating low coolant level. This was strange in that the dash temperature gauge read fine and I knew my coolant level was also. I got enough warning to crawl to the edge of the road, but I wouldn't call it a shoulder. I went back and checked. Again, the coolant level was good. I carefully took off some of the pressure from the cap on the expansion tank and let the coach cool for about 20-30 minutes.

I started it back up and there was no indication of a problem, so I continued the climb. I was about 250 yards from the summit. After about 100 yards, the check engine light came back on. This time I had a shoulder to go to. I just let it cool and restarted after about 15 minutes. Made the summit fine and started the descent into Red River. Made it all the way to the campground with no issues. However, did a small climb up the hill and it came on again, but the road leveled out and the light went back out. We will be here awhile, so I've got time to contemplate this.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Any idea what might be going on here?
2. I've discovered that diesel pushers don't have OBD II connectors. Instead, I believe they use something called Scan Gauge D. Does that sound right? I want to get a tool to check the fault codes and reset them after the repairs. I found a ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor on Amazon for about $160. My connector is back at the radiator. This has a connector and several feet of cable to run to the cockpit where it connects to a display. Anyone use this or have any alternatives? Especially how to run the cable.

thanks
Mike Patrick
2011 Thor Tuscany 40LX
tx_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

There should be another diagnostic port connector under your dash. It may take some digging but it is there. That’s the place to connect the Scangauge D.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I use a ScanGauge D to monitor a items and display codes. There should be a connector under the dash to connect to.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I had a check engine light come on right before hitting Raton pass pulling a heavy load.
Didn't think I was going to make it over myself, come to find out it was my fuel filters. I replaced them both the next day and no more trouble.
My coach has the Silverleaf system with engine codes and information. It told me high filter pressure and then low injector pressure.

Good luck on your issue.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

First thing I would do is let the engine cool down to stone cold, and check the coolant level, in the cooling system, not the expansion tank.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_maniac View Post
We have a 2011 Tuscany 40LX. Haven't had any significant problems until this trip to Red River, NM. As we were making the climb to Bobcat Pass, the check engine light came on indicating low coolant level. This was strange in that the dash temperature gauge read fine and I knew my coolant level was also. I got enough warning to crawl to the edge of the road, but I wouldn't call it a shoulder. I went back and checked. Again, the coolant level was good. I carefully took off some of the pressure from the cap on the expansion tank and let the coach cool for about 20-30 minutes.

I started it back up and there was no indication of a problem, so I continued the climb. I was about 250 yards from the summit. After about 100 yards, the check engine light came back on. This time I had a shoulder to go to. I just let it cool and restarted after about 15 minutes. Made the summit fine and started the descent into Red River. Made it all the way to the campground with no issues. However, did a small climb up the hill and it came on again, but the road leveled out and the light went back out. We will be here awhile, so I've got time to contemplate this.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Any idea what might be going on here?
2. I've discovered that diesel pushers don't have OBD II connectors. Instead, I believe they use something called Scan Gauge D. Does that sound right? I want to get a tool to check the fault codes and reset them after the repairs. I found a ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor on Amazon for about $160. My connector is back at the radiator. This has a connector and several feet of cable to run to the cockpit where it connects to a display. Anyone use this or have any alternatives? Especially how to run the cable.

thanks
Mike Patrick
2011 Thor Tuscany 40LX
Mike,
The port you're speaking of IS THE OBDII port. It's just not shaped and pinned like a standard OBD II port on most automobiles and trucks 'cause the entire system is different than on those vehicles. It's called the J1939 Comm data link port. It's not just for "Scan D" attachments. It's for the techs at Freightliner etc. to plug into for diagnostics on the J1939 Data buss line. That J1939 data link carries ANY and ALL information from your engine ECM, trans TCM, ABS module and, primary and secondary air systems, to what's called the MMDC in the front of the coach. The MMDC (Multi-Module-Data-Computer) deciphers all data from and to, all those components and, then sends it to your gauges for you to read.

And not only that but, there is another J1939 diagnostic port up front too on your coach. It's typically mounted to or, hanging int the area of the fire wall, just to the left of the steering column. It can be a bear to find but, I'll guarantee you, it's there. You can plug in your "Scan D" to that port, not the rear one. A very large percentage of your needs for reading engine ops are already on your LCBU (Light Bar Control Unit) in your dash. You just have to toggle through them to get what you want to read)
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

What rpm were you running at when your engine light came on, low rpm's will cause the problem you described.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
There should be another diagnostic port connector under your dash. It may take some digging but it is there. That’s the place to connect the Scangauge D.
Thanks. I just wasn't standing on my head enough, but I did find it.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
What rpm were you running at when your engine light came on, low rpm's will cause the problem you described.
I don't know the RPM exactly, but I know it wasn't low. I manually downshift on a steep grade to keep the RPM up.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
First thing I would do is let the engine cool down to stone cold, and check the coolant level, in the cooling system, not the expansion tank.
Sounds like a great thing to check. We will be parked at the campground for awhile, so it is definitely stone cold. I am going to order the ScanGauge D though. The LBCU is low on the instrument panel and obstructed by the steering wheel. I have to peer over the wheel to see it. This will enable me to put the display where I can see it easily.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
The port you're speaking of IS THE OBDII port. It's just not shaped and pinned like a standard OBD II port on most automobiles and trucks 'cause the entire system is different than on those vehicles. It's called the J1939 Comm data link port. It's not just for "Scan D" attachments. It's for the techs at Freightliner etc. to plug into for diagnostics on the J1939 Data buss line. That J1939 data link carries ANY and ALL information from your engine ECM, trans TCM, ABS module and, primary and secondary air systems, to what's called the MMDC in the front of the coach. The MMDC (Multi-Module-Data-Computer) deciphers all data from and to, all those components and, then sends it to your gauges for you to read.

And not only that but, there is another J1939 diagnostic port up front too on your coach. It's typically mounted to or, hanging int the area of the fire wall, just to the left of the steering column. It can be a bear to find but, I'll guarantee you, it's there. You can plug in your "Scan D" to that port, not the rear one. A very large percentage of your needs for reading engine ops are already on your LCBU (Light Bar Control Unit) in your dash. You just have to toggle through them to get what you want to read)
Scott
I was able to find the connector on the firewall to the left of the steering column. I am going to order the ScanGauge D though. The LBCU is low on the instrument panel and obstructed by the steering wheel. I have to peer over the wheel to see it. This will enable me to put the display where I can see it easily. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Sounds very familiar, except I was on flat land. Got it to a repair shop, they put the diagnostic computer on it. I had the cable - sensor for coolant was bad. They couldn’t fix it for serveral days, told me I could drive it home 700 miles. Just watch the engine temp gauge. The light came on, the engine went into limp mode, but we drove it home and had it repaired here.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
You might have a bad coolant sensor in the tank. That is a pretty common problem on trucks.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Your engine would cool faster at idle versus shutting it down. Jim OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led