Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #1

coach vandalized

My wife came home yesterday from work about 4:45 pm, and called me, I was in the house, to tell me that the motorhome had been vandalized. The passenger side windshield had been bashed a couple times with what looks like to have been a baseball bat, and the co-pilot side window has been shattered too. Nobody was inside, and nothing else was done to the coach. Made a claim with Progressive. Let's see how this goes.

Over the years, eggs have been thrown at it, the windshield has been shot with paintballs, I found an egg had been tossed on the roof and just left up there, and of course I didn't see that one right away. Guess I'm going to have to keep it in storage going forward, as I've finally had enough.

What's the matter with people???

sigh
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

Set up a game camera so you can see who to take out of the gene pool
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UGH! Vandalism is pure crap! Sorry to hear it. My first inclination is that someone does not like it that you park your MH at your house. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
UGH! Vandalism is pure crap! Sorry to hear it. My first inclination is that someone does not like it that you park your MH at your house. Rook

It's just kids. The same mentality that gets mailboxes vandalized. I've had motorhomes, fifth wheels for years. The fiver never was touched. It isn't personal. If it were, the cops would be more interested. How do I keep the game camera from being vandalized?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use game cameras at our place in the country both for game and other predators (human). Buy a camera that uses infared and there won't be a flash. My cameras are good for a distance of about 75 feet. I'm in a heavily wooded area and just attach the camo colored camera to a tree. Maybe just set one on the dash of the mh. I also have them in strategic locations in the house. Mine can be set up to record video if needed. Good luck getting the repairs done and catching the little twerps.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #6

The game camera is hidden in bushes, tress, fence or whatever if convenient in your yard. They are fairly weatherproof, nothing is perfect.

My guess is it's going to get worse before it gets better. With the current rich versus poor, us against them, 99% versus 1% climate, anyone with something that looks expensive is a target, no matter how you got it or why. There has always been an undercurrent of wealth envy but now that the politicians are using it for their own gain it seems to be getting worse.

We now have recorded video with multiple cameras where our MH parks in the summer, (while we're boating) because of union threats against supervisors, whose MH parks next to mine.

Hope your claim is settled quickly and fairly.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had the egg thing done to my coach. I knew who was guilty, 2 local neighborhood kids who's father resented me parking it the woods near my home. So I gathered up a large group of neighbor hood kids (incl the perbs) and told them this was wasn't fun & games but vandalism, told them the cops had been called, I installed cameras (but they the cheap lookalikes) AND offered a substantial reward to any kid that could ID the egger.
No more harassment.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmashave View Post
It's just kids. The same mentality that gets mailboxes vandalized. I've had motorhomes, fifth wheels for years. The fiver never was touched. It isn't personal. If it were, the cops would be more interested. How do I keep the game camera from being vandalized?
You've had no complaints about parking in front of your house? That would sure be my first suspect.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Always hate to hear stories like this. Hope it all works out for you.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
You've had no complaints about parking in front of your house? That would sure be my first suspect.

nope. I live in Waterford, lots of lakes. Lots of boats and other rv's on peoples property throughout the neighborhood. It's not in front of my house, it's on the side. I have about 3/4 acre, so it basically sits next to the woods with a creek. Nobody I am aware of has a problem with it. Been keeping it there for years. More of a crime of opportunity as the passenger side is totally hidden from the house, and it's about 75 feet away
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #11

The world is full of SERIAL IDIOTS. At least my town is. Duk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear it, BurmaShave. People can be such losers. Hope you get a fair settlement and your RV repaired ASAP.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When our motorhome was parked in town next to our garage we had a remote audible alarm as part of our home security system. A vandal might make a first strike on a windshield but they'd have the socks scared off them before the next. VERY loud.
Our only problem was the couple of times we drove off with the alarm still in the motorhome.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Got a call Monday from my storage lot manager that my moho had been broken into.found that they pried the bottom of the door out and broke the the door in half to climb in below the latch. All they stole was a cheap shop vac and an old pair of binoculars.still waiting to hear from State Farm.Can't believe they left so much expensive stuff and stole stupid stuff.Dumb kids I guess.
tx2stroke is offline   Reply With Quote