Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

coach water pump

Hello... is it okay to leave water pump switches on all the time when we have full hook ups or boondocking? Or should I turn them on just when I need some water from either sink shower ect...
lmurraytwst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmurraytwst View Post
Hello... is it okay to leave water pump switches on all the time when we have full hook ups or boondocking? Or should I turn them on just when I need some water from either sink shower ect...
If you have full Hookups you leave the Pump OFF.

Boondocking you would need them on only when you need water, as there is a draw on the house batteries when the pump is on even if your not using water.

Ted.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Depends on the pump controller.

Basic pump and switch only draws current when pumping, zero standby current.

However water and drain storage are limited supply, and either tank is usually smaller than supply, so best is turn on when using or while present, turn off at night or when away.

A dripping fawcet can fill the Gray than and use most of your water while maybe getting the floor set, leaky toilet also uses most of the water and gets the floor wet...

It has been posted already, so some have experience. ..
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

I only turn on the pump when I am in the coach and using water regularly. Otherwise I turn it off. Most people seem to agree not leaving the city water pressure on if you are not in the coach. Some campsites have high water pressure and this could cause a pipe to come apart inside the coach causing flooding. Most seem to recommend a water pressure surge protector to prevent high pressure from entering the rv. I would recommend filling your tanks and use your own pump as needed. Also dont leave your waste tank valves open at a campsite either. Drain the tanks when they are about three quarters full. If you leave the valves open, the water can drain away leaving the solids behind, causing the dreaded poop pyramid.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Turn the pump off when not in use. As for turning off the campground water, be sure to depressure the system by opening an interior faucet. Otherwise the water trapped in the hose can easily over heat and exceed its pressure limits when left in the sun in the summer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Thanks Ted... Is it possible that I have caused damage to the water pump due to overheating? Because I did have it on when there was no potable water in the tank. I have since filled the tank and the pumps seem to be working okay.
lmurraytwst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Turn the pump off when not in use
This advice seems a bit extreme if it is to be taken literally. These vehicles are our homes and we don't rush out to the main tap at home every time we need a bit of water. Most of us don't turn off the water heater when we are not actually using hot water, or flip the salesman's switch when we are not using any power.

By all means turn off the pumps and anything else that isn't being used if you aren't going to be using them for hours, or if you are away for the day, or actually mobile, but the rest of the time do as you do back home - leave it all operational.

On mains supply, especially if not using a decent pressure regulator, it makes good sense to turn it off when you are away for the day. Admittedly the risk is extremely low, but some unlucky owners have returned to a swimming pool instead of a motorhome. Even then, it would be likely that a Watts regulator set to a sensible pressure - say 30 to 40 psi - would have prevented at least some of those catastrophes.

Many diaphragm pumps are able to run dry for hours and even days without coming to any harm so it is unlikely you have done any damage.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Tony - the advice above seems pretty extreme. We leave the pump off when connected to city water, since there is no reason to also be pumping water from our fresh tank, but otherwise it stays on so we can use the inside water faucets as they were designed to be used. Turning the pump on/off every time we want to run some water or flush a toilet is far "over the top" in my book. But I've only been doing this since about 1970, so what do I know?

We don't turn off the city water supply when we leave the coach for a few hours either. Don't do it at out stix & brix house either. And yes, I've had a water line break (at the S&B).

At the end of the day, each of us has to do what we are comfortable with and I guess shutting of pump switches or city water feeds is pretty harmless if it makes you feel safer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
If you have full Hookups you leave the Pump OFF.

Boondocking you would need them on only when you need water, as there is a draw on the house batteries when the pump is on even if your not using water.

Ted.
If the pump isn't running, there is no current draw.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Turn the pump off when not in use. As for turning off the campground water, be sure to depressure the system by opening an interior faucet. Otherwise the water trapped in the hose can easily over heat and exceed its pressure limits when left in the sun in the summer.

Ken
This thread opened my eyes. I've always wondered why Fleetwood put a pump switch in the bathroom, kitchen, main control box and outside shower? But hey, we leave it on all the time boondocking and off when hooked up to city water. We do use a pressure regulator on the city water and we leave it on all the time until we leave. In between trips I emptied the water tank and left the pump on for two days. Thought it would be toast when I discovered a weird sound coming from the coach and the darn thing was on. But, it still works like a charm? I even the leave the stick and brick for months at a time with all the water on so the sprinklers can keep the grass green. I'm doing everything wrong!!! I'm sure a leak somewhere down the road will change my ways, but if it does, I sure don't have a clue how I'm going to keep my grass green.......
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
as there is a draw on the house batteries when the pump is on even if your not using water.
yes, probably true with the new generation electronically controlled pumps, but unless they were designed by a total incompetent, the drain is likely to be just a few milliamperes. Not too relevant for day to day operation of a working coach, but would be another item to isolate to prevent phantom loads flattening batteries during long lay-ups
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
csrrsr I just let the grass go, now I have very little grass to mow!
Lakeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
csrrsr I just let the grass go, now I have very little grass to mow!
I'm with you, but that's a really sticky subject with the DW???!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
If the pump isn't running, there is no current draw.
There is a 50% chance there is a draw so is was just a recommendation for someone who asked for one.

Better to be on the safe side.

I don't understand why everyone is so hell bent on saying I am wrong.

Who Cares? it was just a recommendation and my JMO

Tags
water