Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry 'Bout That

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleylip View Post
Wow, I started this as a friendly chat . Sure are a lot of grumpy old men out there .
Most of the answers bring up good points, let's concentrate on those and manicure our "Ignore" lists afterward

We've worried about encountering this problem, have managed to dodge the proverbial bullet. One of us makes calls two or three hours out, confirms our size with the campground folks.

Yes, it is admittedly a crap shoot at places that are first-come-first serve; there, we've just been lucky.

Oh. When we were in a smaller rig -- and sometimes even now -- we happily take smaller sites.

But, stay tuned: the wife just bought a convertible with rear wheel drive and automatic transmission, so we can't tow by any other means: we're buying an auto hauler with extra height, tomorrow. We'll carry bikes in the front, a canoe in the rafters, the car beneath.

'Nice part is, we can finally back up... but, it's going to take a little more planning, for our overnights.

BTW, I scoped out the "maximum combination lengths," and only a handful of states allow more than 65 feet. With a 45 foot rig and a 20 foot trailer, we can only hope law enforcement forgives the three feet extra 'cause of the tongue...

The idea of a trailer is an attractive one now, but ask me in a year

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #30

I think the poster who mentioned that the folks who assign the spots in the parks have no experience RV'ing was spot on. When we had a 39' DP we learned to lie and tell them that it was a 45' when we called ahead for a spot, same thing with our subsequent larger coaches. Now that we have a 45', can't lie anymore, but after being in 25 states this Summer and calling ahead to reserve the bigger spots, we still had to unhook the TOAD about 30% of the time. We agree with the other posters that all RV'ers are equal and everyone is entitled to the spot that they want, but these parks should not advertise themselves as "big rig friendly" if they don't keep a few spots open for the big rigs

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
I think the poster who mentioned that the folks who assign the spots in the parks have no experience RV'ing was spot on. When we had a 39' DP we learned to lie and tell them that it was a 45' when we called ahead for a spot, same thing with our subsequent larger coaches. Now that we have a 45', can't lie anymore, but after being in 25 states this Summer and calling ahead to reserve the bigger spots, we still had to unhook the TOAD about 30% of the time. We agree with the other posters that all RV'ers are equal and everyone is entitled to the spot that they want, but these parks should not advertise themselves as "big rig friendly" if they don't keep a few spots open for the big rigs
BINGO!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #32

Bingo again ! We just left a place in SD that advertised 100 foot super site . We got it , paid extra . Put our 73 foot rig on it , and were edge to edge. Had them come over and look . And they insisted it was 100 feet . DUH .. Get a new ruler .
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
If I can get a 40' spot for my 30'; then score! I could use that extra room to spread out more. I get what you are saying, but unless the rules state you can't park there, then those spots are fair game.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Plus I have never seen a campsite offer spots that accomodate 73' feet of rig.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #35

We've also seen the poorly calibrated tape measure thing, pay for a 100' lot and the hiney of the TOAD is hanging out the back. Pulled into one in Laramie WY last year and not only did we not fit but I had to ask three 5th wheel guys to move their trucks so I could get the heck out of there. Thankfully they were all very nice about it.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Feeling Blue that a man can't talk about a topic without being picked on!

I thought this forum was all about asking questions and getting help in some fashion! I have always enjoyed IRV2 but, when you ask a question and get a smart ass answer.......I have to say something. Didn't your mother ever tell you? "if you don't have anything nice to say.....say nothing" You can either offer helpful tips or have a quality conversation or you could just butt out!! Now I'm just say'n!!

I also run a larger rig. 42ft coach and 24ft trailer plus the tongue of the trailer close to 70ft. and find that is the only way to go! You can bring the toys and be able to back up anytime!!
Now, I have found resorts that are very helpful with the length of our rig and I have found a few that are not. I always work it out in some way, no problem!

I would say to make a reservation and you bring up your length and needs. Most will be helpful in getting you set up.

Just my 2 cents. Play nice and be helpful!! PLEASE!!!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
As a business owner, keeping a few spots open is like asking a restaurant owner to always keep larger tables open just in case a large party comes in. Business's operate on fairly small margins in the current economy and having a space sit empty doesn't help. Particularly if you can sell a more expensive spot and only lose on the low cost spaces that may sit empty.

Additionally, one of the reasons we downsized to a smaller rig was our ability to use so many of the CG's that do not have large spaces at all. There are so many state CG's that are great places, if you can fit, that charge very nominal fees.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck View Post
As a business owner, keeping a few spots open is like asking a restaurant owner to always keep larger tables open just in case a large party comes in. Business's operate on fairly small margins in the current economy and having a space sit empty doesn't help. Particularly if you can sell a more expensive spot and only lose on the low cost spaces that may sit empty.

Additionally, one of the reasons we downsized to a smaller rig was our ability to use so many of the CG's that do not have large spaces at all. There are so many state CG's that are great places, if you can fit, that charge very nominal fees.
I would never expect the CG owner to turn away business while he left open a spot for the "phantom" big rig that may come in later, however if he can accommodate all who come in with a spot that will fit their unit while keeping something open for the big rigs then he is indeed" big rig friendly" and his business suffers little as he accommodates all who show up on that particular night. As I'm sure you know, there can be two fairly identical length spots in a park but because of the physical location of the spots, one may allow a big rig without unhooking and the other may not, due to trees, curves etc, putting the smaller unit in the lot that the bigger unit can't use but is just fine for the smaller unit just seems to make sense to me and is the reason for my comment that it appears that many of these owners/employees have ever managed a big rig in parks.

We can debate this forever as there is no right answer, the campground owners will conduct their business as they see fit and the various market segments who use them will vote with their feet.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
We all have to live with the decisions of what we want to travel in. If I pull into a campground without notice, I have to understand that I will have to live with the space I am allotted and may have to disconnect my toad. We have probably all had those times when you wonder whether there is someone at the helm of the CG, but if I don't want to chance it, I make a reservation as early as I can for the night..I most certainly understand that everyone has the same chance at the nice spots and it is true that the early bird gets the worm. Sometimes that keeps life interesting.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's pretty apparent that guys with 70 feet of rv can relate better to the original poster's issues than those with 30 feet of rv... So what is the CG supposed to do? What are there more of? Also... To the guy that said he learned to lie about his length a long time ago... You're certainly not helping matters. Maybe if the CGs went to the boat way of charging... By the foot! Nobody would lie about their length and maybe there would be a lot less of these types of discussions...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
It's pretty apparent that guys with 70 feet of rv can relate better to the original poster's issues than those with 30 feet of rv... So what is the CG supposed to do? What are there more of? Also... To the guy that said he learned to lie about his length a long time ago... You're certainly not helping matters. Maybe if the CGs went to the boat way of charging... By the foot! Nobody would lie about their length and maybe there would be a lot less of these types of discussions...
Yeah..................Everybody likes to lie about their length every now and then.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Yeah..................Everybody likes to lie about their length every now and then.
priceless!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote