Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coachmen Concord, or Forest River Lexington?

We are looking to trade sometime this summer. DW really wants to downsize From our class A to class C, and she really likes the "B Plus" with 3 slides, such as the Gulf Stream BT Crusier, Forest River Lexington GTS, or the Coachmen Concord.

Now, what I'm looking for here is useful advise, and experience tells me that this is the place to get it. Whatever experience anyone has had with any of these rigs, be it good bad or indifferent. I'm looking to stay away from the "mine is better than yours" type of stuff, which I don't normally see a lot of here anyway. Personally, the only brand I remember from my childhood is Coachmen, so they have a leg up there, but I'm willing to keep an open mind on the others.

Any input is always appreciated, even suggestions of other units in that "B Plus" category with three slides that I may have not mentioned here that I may need to take a look at. Let me know what you think!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
Having owned a 2007 Concord 300-TS, 31', (3) slides for 3 years, I can attest only to the unit we had. There are many opinions about the quality of Coachmen products over the years and believe you generally get what you pay for. The (3) slides were spacious and added to the interior size of a smaller motor home. This particular model is well built and would recommend it.

1st year warranty issues were minor as follows:
-door latch needed to be adjusted and shimmed to lock.
-rear fiberglass cap leaked on roof and needed to have more dicor added. I eventually removed all the Dicor and installed Eternabond and added more screws along the top cap which were missing and no more leaks.
-TV coax cables needed to be connected correctly.

That was it for the warranty repairs.

Additional items I added were:
-suspension upgrades: (coach swayed in wind and trucks passing)
-replaced shocks with RoadKings (recommended by local shop for that coach)
-added (1) additional leaf spring in rear to handle weight and handling
-aligned front end
-added rear sway bar
-door struts were added for upper cabinets
-wood shims and blocks were added behind drawers to add stability

This solved the problem and rode/drove like a car. Towed with this unit with no problems. It comes with rear air bags as well.
Ford V10 had plenty of power and needed no engine mods.
Bathroom is small and did become an issue for us.
Heat in the doghouse up front was a minor issue for my wife only going up mountains in the summer.

Overall the Concord had very, very few problems. We put over 20K miles on it with no chassis or motor problems. Some trips included US1 from Canada back to SoCal with winding roads, towing with no issues. Other trips included taking Hwy 49 from Grass Valley south to Fresno and those that have taken that route on the Western side of Yosemite know it reminds you of the movie, The Long, Long Trailer again with no problems but probably wouldn't do it again with any motor home.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up buying!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that's EXACTLY what I asked for. Thank you very much for posting that very useful information. We happen to be looking at a 2007 with almost 11,000 miles on it. I understand all the modifications you did, and it sounds very reasonable. The only other thing I was thinking about were hydraulic leveling jacks. They are available from the factory, but I have yet to find one that has them. Coming from a Class A that has them, it seems like something I would want to add. Some of the aftermarket leveling systems I've seen look really nice.

If you don't mind me asking, did yours have jacks? And if not, how much of a PITB was it to level the coach without them? Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
Ours did not have the leveling jacks and did not realize they were even available. We used the Camping World leveling blocks and was not really too much of a pain but now having a class A with one button jack leveling is a real pleasure. I would say if they're an option available to add, I would do it.

As a side note, we're currently going through the 1st year warranty stuff with Monaco and is not a very pleasant situation to say the least. My wife and I were talking tonight and saying we really miss the Concord as we never went through what we are currently experiencing with a class A.

Hope you don't go through any of this with whatever you decide to buy. Another suggestion might be to have it looked over by a reputable RV mechanic/shop to make sure you're not buying someone else's problems.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

I bought a 2009 Lexington class b wih 3 slides in September of 2008. Almost from day one I have had rain leaking in through the kitchen slide. Have returned to dealer 3 times, and spoke to Forest River, and still have the problem. I don't know if I bought a lemon or do all Lexingtons leak. I sure am frustrated at this point
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #6

lexington

I just bought a very gently used 2007 lexington 283 gts with 3 slides and 11K miles. Overall the inside is great, nice and comfy. There is a separation above the cab windshield that allows water to leak in, first time it filled all the cup holders! i took it to an Rv body shop and they said it is common and just needs to be caulked. In the meantime I put some of that blue painters 2"tape across the top so the water doesn't run into the crack. That stopped the leak so I knew for sure where it was.

Also, I just yesterday came across I80 across the Sierras from California into Reno and the thing drives like a mac truck missing it's shocks. Fully loaded with water and gas. I'm going to have to see what can be done about it. If it can't be improved and that is the way it rides on a rough road then I will sell it and buy something else. It was so jarring it moved my outside mirrors. I like my kidneys too much to tolerate that kind of a ride. Wonder if that is normal for this unit? It drives just fine on a smooth road; there aren't many of those in California. Anybody out there have any suggestions before I take it to the mechanic?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #7

Forest River - Lexington

We had an older Lexington - 2003 w/ 1 slide. Bought it used in 04 and kept it 2 years. Loved it. Good gas mileage, good ride. Like any C or B+ there is engine noise in the cab. I "carpeted" the bottom of the doors and engine cover and put another layer of carpet on the floor. That helped a lot. We had 2 problems: The rain leaked in around the AC unit in the ceiling when traveling in the rain - not when parked. Turned out the bolts that hold it to the coach had come loose, tightened them and no more problems. Then the rear cap started cracking - at the bottom on both sides then at the top. It was out of warranty. Contacted Forest River and they provided replacement cap. I paid for installation. We thought that was very good on their part. We just bought a class A DP. If Forest River would have had a model and floor plan we liked we'd have given it serious consideration. Coachmen is now owned by the same parent company as Forest River - Berkshire Hathaway so I don't see either disappearing any time soon.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
How about a Jayco Melbourne. We have the 29D with 3 slides and really like it. No major problems. Beware of CCC though with any B+. We pack light and have made it just fine. Two year warranty is great, though we didn't need it.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufterrier View Post
Also, I just yesterday came across I80 across the Sierras from California into Reno and the thing drives like a mac truck missing it's shocks. Fully loaded with water and gas. I'm going to have to see what can be done about it. If it can't be improved and that is the way it rides on a rough road then I will sell it and buy something else. It was so jarring it moved my outside mirrors. I like my kidneys too much to tolerate that kind of a ride. Wonder if that is normal for this unit? It drives just fine on a smooth road; there aren't many of those in California. Anybody out there have any suggestions before I take it to the mechanic?
Well, maybe just a little bit of exaggeration, I'm pretty sure a mac truck missing its shocks would be un-drivable. But it sounds like you might want to have it looked at by a reputable mechanic. We did pull the trigger on a gently used 2007 with 10,000 miles. It now has over 11,000 miles. Much of that was over some pretty rough road, fully loaded, and we have no complaints whatsoever about the ride. In fact, it is way better than the class A we had before. And I mean WAY better. And SO much easier to drive, especially in high wind.