Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #1

Cockpit in flight service table.......

Our Class A is a little bit sparse in the cockpit accommodations area. We are soon heading off on a cross country trip, and would like to have maybe a table between the captain chairs to share some snacks. If we set stuff on the floor between us I have to take my eye’s off the road and bend over pretty low to reach.

Thinking about a small table, something stable, but yet portable we can move out of the way once done driving. May even fabricate one. Anybody else tried to solve this inconvenience?

Thanks for any ideas you have!

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

I bought a small padded chest at TJ Max for less than $30. We store all sorts of junk in the box and I put my laptop, snacks or whatever on top. It has 4 plastic feet that I replaced with felt covered ones.

This one came in a dark leather colored fake leather. It more or less stays in place during driving but can easily be slid around.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to Walmart and bought a couple of small round folding patio tables. They work great in between the seats, in front of the couch, outside under awning, and other uses as well. When we are done with them I can fold them up and store them behind the couch where three of them fit perfectly.
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
..... would like to have maybe a table between the captain chairs to share some snacks... Thinking about a small table, something stable, but yet portable we can move out of the way........

Would suggest a small chest or box. Small tables tend to tip over easily; boxes don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
...If we set stuff on the floor between us I have to take my eye’s off the road and bend over pretty low to reach....
If you set the stuff on a table or box, you're still taking your eyes off the road if you don't go by feel. We have cup holders mounted on the sidewalls for each seat, but I keep a thermos of coffee on the floor that I can reach easily. Always in the same spot, and I can lay my hand on it without looking, hand it to DW, and she can pour. (She would gladly do it all, but can't reach it!). Do you look away every time you reach for your wiper switch, Exhaust brake switch, etc.?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Ha, have to smile at this situation. Married my bride in Tokyo back in 1963
some fifty two years ago. Funny thing, when coffee or snacks are due, she's always there. Never take my eye's off the road, somehow she seems to read my mind.
Besides's if we were to put a table or box between the chairs, our dog SHOGUN would get upset. Thats where he sleeps when we're rolling. :-)
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Someone that could could read my mind would be fabulous. Since I don't have that, we use a camping table that has a canvas top with two drink holder holes in it. I have found nothing that works better in our situation since there is no place to mount a accessible cup holder. I also have a small trash can behind it that I can reach easily.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with you on the snacks Lloyd... snacks are one of the key ingredients of a good road trip. We tried a bunch of different things with baskets, small portable tables, etc. My solution got my front drawer involved as a platform for a removable snack tray that I fabricated. The little piece of shock cord on the bottom goes around the drawer handle to keep it snug.

It's close enough to easily grab the munch stuff and doesn't get in the way of the DW from keeping it stocked. Used cork shelf liner for the top to keep things from sliding and soak up any moisture. Simple to drop in place and remove when not needed.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

Mandg-fun, I like that. Cool idea. I also have a drawer in that location.

No patents etc? I can steal the idea?

Gotta look closer at my drawer.

L.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

Great design. I like it. Only problem is, I would never be able to use it. As soon as I opened the drawer and put the shelf on it, my cat would jump up there and claim it as his travel perch.

Seriously though, what is the long white strip on the bottom of the shelf? Looks like masking tape. Does it serve a purpose or is it just a leftover from the "manufacturing process"?

Jack
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #10

You may have a point, my cat Diesel (he purrs real load) will probably move in as well. LOL

L.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack, that looks like a cork strip that would rest on the console drawer lip to prevent chafing.

2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Jack, that looks like a cork strip that would rest on the console drawer lip to prevent chafing.

That's what I thought at first, but it looks like the top of the drawer fits in between the two wooden blocks. The strip is behind the blocks. I think.

Anyway, it is a great idea and looks like it will be easy to fabricate.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

John, Looking closer, I think you are right about it being there to protect the lip of the drawer. There appears to be blocks of the same material where the upright (down right?) supports meet the drawer sides. The front of the drawer probably goes behind the rear block.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm looking at getting one of these.....

Home Page
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, service