Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Grounds can be sprinkled in house plants to kill and small insects or mites in the soil. Also have used fresh grounds in the refrigerator to absorb odors or to freshen it up after an onion has been in it, etc. I wouldn't put them down the drain. Grey tank gets enough...

John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My grandfather was a plumber for about 40 years...old school. He advised dumping coffee grounds down the kitchen drain (not the disposal-never did that) (at the house) was a good way to keep roots out of the septic and lines and it kept the plumbing drain lines cleaned out by the acid chomping off grease and other items. Growing up for 18 years we dumped coffee grounds, and since then I've dumped coffee grounds down my kitchen sink and never had any issues. Don't know if its good or bad, just been doin it all my life on Grandpa's word.

BUT, I would NOT dump them in the coach. Just not the same to me at all. I don't dump grease and don't have to worry about tree roots and other stuff gettin in my septic lines in the coach.

My old man two cents worth.

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer a French press over a drip machine with paper filters, better coffee and no filters to buy.
I've been dumping coffee grounds in the bushes where ever I'm camped for over a year.
All the bushes around our camp site are nice and green
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a "worm bed" where you dig your own fishing worms, coffee grounds seem to help the soil there.
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD, 300 Cat
2006 Honda CR-V Toad
gfs1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Years ago DW used to dump coffee grounds down the sink drain. We were on a septic system then. The tank was the old wooden kind back then before the concrete ones. All of a sudden we had a bad rat infestation and they were burrowing down to the tank. I called the pumper truck to pump the tank and as soon as he got out of his truck he said you dump coffee grounds in your tank don't you? When I said yes he said you have rats in there don't you. Yes again. He said the grounds forment in the tank and rats can smell that for miles. He cleaned our tank and we never put any grounds in there any more and no more rats. That would not be the case in a holding tank but I always put grounds in the garbage.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Interesting stuff so far but conflicts a little with what I heard/learned. I learned that dumping a mornings coffee grounds once in a while was good for the system as the grounds will attach to oils and grease and soap scum suspending it so it can be flushed. I do that like twice a year. But only with a half full or more tank. Then I also put it in all three drains.
We do this too...but at home NOT in the RV. They work as advertised in a normal plumbing system, but as noted above, they don't work with an RV tank.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
National RV Owners Club
At home, they go into the compost. On the road, they go into the garbage.

Just my not so humble opinion - LOL

ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yes, they build up against the drain spade, they contaminate the slide so bad you can't push or pull it. When I replaced mine for this reason I busted the housing with a hammer to see why it wouldn't slide, found it full of coffee grounds. Hope this answers your question.
Poke a Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Simply empty your grounds into a shallow bowl lined with a paper towel. It will totally deodorize your unit and really, really p..s the mice off. after a day or two empty and refill. Starbucks became a multi billion dollar company by tapping into your aural sense.

buki is offline   Reply With Quote