Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Coffee Grounds

Need some advise here.

We started using ground coffee with a plunger type coffee pot. When emptying the grounds I dump them in the trash. My question is, will dumping coffee grounds down the drain to the gray tank cause a problem?

Hootie-Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure but great question! Another way to rid of the grounds is use them to deter ants. Sprinkle the grounds in your lawn or around ant hills and they will disappear. Something about the acid in the grounds that makes them go away I heard.

Papa John & Mother Mary 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX, 34N
2008 Hyundai Elantra - Toad
Tampa, Florida
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would never put the grounds down the drain. There's just too much of a chance of causing a problem. The tank wants to build up anyway and that could make more solids. We have a septic system at home and live by the " Would I do that at home"
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Coffee grounds do NOT go down a drain. They can plug it up fast.

Here is a site that has 21 other uses for them that might be amusing thou:
21 Ways To Use Old Coffee Grounds - DIY Life
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
If you're referring to the little bit left in your (sounds like a french press) coffee pot, or in my case, my washable filter, I don't think it's a problem. It's just like small food particles that I can't help but end up washing down the sink while doing dishes. I try to put as little as possible, both food particles and coffee grounds, down the sink, but nobody's perfect! To pour them all down . . . no, I'd never do that!
John & Cathy Lamb
45' Marathon XLII
num1dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drinks lots of coffee and dispose of tons of coffee grounds. I would never dump any grounds down my drains into the gray tank. That would appear to be a major problem to me. I always dispose of them in the trash can, even at home. Never heard of using them to deter ants, but may give it a try.
Greg & Jo, Maggie & Riley
09 Coachmen Concord TS300
Jol912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I also have used a French Press for coffee but I would be afraid the coffee grounds would bind the closing action on the shutoff valve as well as all the other issues.
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
As an airline mechanic, I spent many hours unplugging water drain lines that were plugged by coffee grounds dumped down the drains from the galley, usually from a broken coffee bag. I stopped using my French Press because of the hassle of cleaning it up without letting grounds down the drain. I would usually put a paper towel over the drain to trap the grounds which worked pretty good.
Don & Carolyn Bingham
2003 Allegro Bus Freightliner 40DP ISL400
Honda Odyssey, Blue Ox
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coffee grounds are not water soluble. The grounds could damage the rubber seals on the drain valve.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
A little experience from a former S&B dwelling......We were told to use coffee grounds as a daily maintenance/cleaning method for the garbage disposal. This was a brand new house, btw. A few months later we had what amounted to a gigantic ant problem. Thankfully, they were non-biting sugar ants but still highly annoying and generally just nasty. After trying everything known to man; I called the builder and inquired as to what may be the cause. He came out and ended up disassembling many plumbing joints that spanned three levels of elevation. All p-traps and many of the joints had ant colonies expertly built with coffee grounds. He surmised that constant washing with drain water had leached the acid out of the grounds making them hospitable for the little critters. A thorough cleaning took care of it immediately and we ceased putting grounds through the disposal. No more ants. It certainly didn't help that our home site was deep in the woods and formally THEIR territory.

In any event; this is not a problem I would invite into my gray water tank.

1994 American Eagle 38
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We put ours in the trash. Never thought about using them around ant establishments. I wonder if they would work on fire ants???? Gonna have to give it a try.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally dumping coffee grounds in the plumbing does, in fact, cause problems, though I do not think they will cause problem with the gray tank itself.. The problem will be "Up-line" (As in they clog the drain, the one on the sink, not the tank's much larger outlet)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I always play it safe when it comes to putting anything down my drains. I keep empty laundy soap containers to put any type of scrapes or waste in. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion...
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Interesting stuff so far but conflicts a little with what I heard/learned. I learned that dumping a mornings coffee grounds once in a while was good for the system as the grounds will attach to oils and grease and soap scum suspending it so it can be flushed. I do that like twice a year. But only with a half full or more tank. Then I also put it in all three drains.

'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote