Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #1

Cold climate - what to do when leaving for a couple of days

Just wondering what most folks do when they are full timing in freezing temperatures and will be out of their RV for a few days?

It seems like a pain to do a full winterizing if you're gone for a couple of days.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing:
Shut off the city water.
Drain and shut off the water heaters.
Dump all tanks
Keep the thermostat at 50 degrees (I have two huge propane tanks)
Just as a secondary measure - keep my two ceramic heaters in the cargo bays connected to the temperature controllers. They will come on when the outside temperature drops below 35 and shut off when it rises above 38.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
Just wondering what most folks do when they are full timing in freezing temperatures and will be out of their RV for a few days?

It seems like a pain to do a full winterizing if you're gone for a couple of days.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing:
Shut off the city water.
Drain and shut off the water heaters.
Dump all tanks
Keep the thermostat at 50 degrees (I have two huge propane tanks)
Just as a secondary measure - keep my two ceramic heaters in the cargo bays connected to the temperature controllers. They will come on when the outside temperature drops below 35 and shut off when it rises above 38.
Open the low point drains as well since you are doing the water heater
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Been gone for over a week. Disconnected fresh water hose, set thermostat to 50, left the grey and black with whatever was in there. Was ok on our return. To be fair it wasn’t real cold. 20 overnights. We spend quite a bit of time in below freezing but are usually only gone 8-10 hours at a time. I was concerned when we flew out for over a week but everything was ok.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Open the low point drains as well since you are doing the water heater
yeah thanks, probably should make sure there isn't any residual water.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
Been gone for over a week. Disconnected fresh water hose, set thermostat to 50, left the grey and black with whatever was in there. Was ok on our return. To be fair it wasn’t real cold. 20 overnights. We spend quite a bit of time in below freezing but are usually only gone 8-10 hours at a time. I was concerned when we flew out for over a week but everything was ok.
So I wasn't going to disconnect my water hose because it's a heated hose. I was just going to shut it off at the source, but you have me considering that now too. I'm thinking if I leave the water hose plugged into power it should be okay.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

We've left ours a few times with temps below freezing (maybe down to 25 min). We left the furnace on 50-55, unhooked the city water and called it good.

I'd certainly turn on the furnace even if we we're hooked up to 50 amp. If the power goes out, furnace will run on batteries and propane. And usually the furnace sends heat to the bays to keep pipes from freezing.

Doing more doesn't seem prudent unless by a "couple of days" you mean a couple of weeks or the temps will be well below freezing for many hours each day. Save putting other heaters in the bays, everything else is overkill, IMHO.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Why not leave the house thermostat set on 70-72 degrees and let it help keep things warm? Many coaches divert a little heat from the furnaces to the wet bay. Setting the temperature down to 50 degrees could be a false economy if something freezes up.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Why not leave the house thermostat set on 70-72 degrees and let it help keep things warm? Many coaches divert a little heat from the furnaces to the wet bay. Setting the temperature down to 50 degrees could be a false economy if something freezes up.
Yeah so I was wondering to myself if 50 was too low, although 70 sounds too high to me. I was hoping others might have the experience with what the proper temperature is to set the thermostat. I know coaches have different levels of insulation, but I was hoping to hear from lots of different folks to get a ball park figure.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #9

I would pull the slides in on my coach because it has plumbing In The slide. Open, cabinets that have plumbing so warm air can circulate in. Leave heat on 50 deg. Just to be safe, I would put a heater in the wet bay as you described. Finally, I would disconnect city water. I have had hoses freeze solid and you run the risk of a cracked fitting or pipe. Your electric hose would be OK but why not Just disconnect. I wouldn't drain and winterize. My 2 cents.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #10

Freeze proof hydrants work by shutting off water below ground, and letting water in hydrant drain. With the hose hooked up, it can't get air to drain. If the hydrant freezes and breaks the owner has to dig thru frozen ground to replace it. Of course, the hydrant does not belong to you, why worry. No reason to do all that work disconnecting a hose...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I would pull the slides in on my coach because it has plumbing In The slide. Open, cabinets that have plumbing so warm air can circulate in. Leave heat on 50 deg. Just to be safe, I would put a heater in the wet bay as you described. Finally, I would disconnect city water. I have had hoses freeze solid and you run the risk of a cracked fitting or pipe. Your electric hose would be OK but why not Just disconnect. I wouldn't drain and winterize. My 2 cents.
Thanks for your 2 cents
Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Freeze proof hydrants work by shutting off water below ground, and letting water in hydrant drain. With the hose hooked up, it can't get air to drain. If the hydrant freezes and breaks the owner has to dig thru frozen ground to replace it. Of course, the hydrant does not belong to you, why worry. No reason to do all that work disconnecting a hose...
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll leave the heated hose attached, just turn off the water. The city water attachment is under the coach so it's a pain to disconnect and reconnect. The city water bib is also heated with heat tape by the RV park.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll leave the heated hose attached, just turn off the water. The city water attachment is under the coach so it's a pain to disconnect and reconnect. The city water bib is also heated with heat tape by the RV park.

A hose, unhooked on one end, so enough water can escape away from the fittings on the ends can freeze without damage.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
A hose, unhooked on one end, so enough water can escape away from the fittings on the ends can freeze without damage.
Good to know, thanks.