Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Cold Colorado

Hi, I have a 99 Monaco Signature 42 and go to our ski condo in Keystone CO about three times a year. I have to park in a parking lot with no power and the temps have been around 0 to -. What kind of heat source can I place in the coach to keep the temps up just a bit, any ideas? I have a 12.5 onan.
Kids lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Is this heat for comfort only? Are you going to attempt to use the plumbing? Are you planing on running the genset the entire time?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought you were saying you stayed in Keystones' parking lot; I would be interested in that. Either way though, if your camping in Keystones parking lot or your condo, keep the MH winterized.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Cold

Turn on your AquaHot and set you diesel generator to autostart at about 12.2 volts if your boondocking. Try to keep the snow off your solar panel(s) too. Don't forget to turn on the AquaHot engine heat before you plan to startup to leave.

Every winter we take our MH to the mountains of CO and/or NM and stay in it. We don't boondock for long when staying in it in the winter in the mountains. We take additional electric heaters with us. One is a large oil filled radiator type, and the other is a small ceramic cube.

Last winter we took or 98 42' Signature to Leadville and stayed at the RV Coral for more than a week. On new years eve temps dropped to minus 20. That coach was equipped with a AquaHot system. We plugged into the parks 50 amp service. We don't have a heated fresh water hose or heated sewer hose so we used our onboard fresh water and sewer tanks. The park has shower and washer dryer facilitys. At nite the AquaHot diesel burner would run about a third of the time, but during the day the AH electric heat element did most the work. The radiant heat from the AH kept the basement lines and tanks above freezing. We had 2 water lines freeze up. The Norcold icemaker line, and the ones running to the rear bathroom sink, and they didn't break, I guess because they're plastic. I ran the block heater on New Years just to play it safe.

The previous 2 winters we took our 98 DutchStar on ski trips without any problems. It only had a propane furnace for the living quarters, and we put the oil filled radiator that I previously mentioned in the basement. I plugged in the block heater a few hrs before it was time to startup to leave.

We are headed back to Leadville to ski again this winter, this time in our 00 Signature 43' Caesar.

We hope this helps?