Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

Cold Draft While Driving

2003 Southwind 34v

New owner. While driving we feel a cold draft that seems to be coming from the front dash or windshield.

Any ideas as to cause would be appreciated?
findleyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

That may be hard to find. Wind can squeeze through some mighty small places! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer cold draft. But not while driving.
Never liked my beer warm like the British drink.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by findleyt View Post
2003 Southwind 34v

New owner. While driving we feel a cold draft that seems to be coming from the front dash or windshield.

I'm not at all familiar with your coach, but since you are a new owner there may be some overlooking of the HVAC controls on the dash that is allowing air to enter. Look closely at your air/vent/fan controls on the dash, read the manual, and insure that all air flow controls are off. Never assume you know the functioning of the dash controls due to your general familiarity with similar controls on other vehicles. Ask me how I know.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
DWB

Spartan Chassis
Cold draft

I have a Travel Supreme (2005) which had a cold draft coming through the dash and footwell, with some digging in the drivers footwell and front Gen set pull out I found a large opening where the wiring came through into the dash area. I used spray foam to close up the gap. Just start looking into these areas and you will be surprised at what the manufacturer missed.
Dave B
Old 03-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by findleyt View Post
2003 Southwind 34v

My Fleetwood Storm has a seam along the dash where front shell bolts to rest of unit. When I first bought it I noticed after several trips cool air blowing at me and the dash cover puffed up. Researched this site and others had same issue. I pulled the trim piece off the track and the screws, the small amount there was were backing out so the seam was loose allowing air in. I tightened screws and added several more. Leak gone.
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 1999 Southwind is reasonably tight. However, look up under the hood and you can see the underside of the dash, verify no broken or missing screws / bolts.

On my old 2001 Mirada, I found several large gaps at the front of the doghouse. These would allow cold air to blast on the drivers feet. A can of expanding foam took care of these.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #8

The dash controls are fairly simple and very much like any pickup. It's a GM Workhorse Chassis. I read the manuals already. I'm thinking maybe it comes in somewhere else and gets sucked forward and bounces off the windshield/dash area. Burrr
Old 03-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #9

CountryB, You are a funny guy! :-)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #10

:-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
I have a Travel Supreme (2005) which had a cold draft coming through the dash and footwell, with some digging in the drivers footwell and front Gen set pull out I found a large opening where the wiring came through into the dash area. I used spray foam to close up the gap. Just start looking into these areas and you will be surprised at what the manufacturer missed.
Dave B
I looked some but I'll have a better look, Thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

Under the Hood

I looked around under the hood. Did'nt find any obvious holes. However, the fiberglass dash top panel is exposed directly to the cold under the hood. No insulation on that what so ever. Humm Got to figure out a way to get some insulation up in there.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #12

Good Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov327 View Post
My Fleetwood Storm has a seam along the dash where front shell bolts to rest of unit. When I first bought it I noticed after several trips cool air blowing at me and the dash cover puffed up. Researched this site and others had same issue. I pulled the trim piece off the track and the screws, the small amount there was were backing out so the seam was loose allowing air in. I tightened screws and added several more. Leak gone.
I think that is contributing to my cold air getting in also. In addition that panel that serves as the top plate for the dash has no insulation under it. Would like to add some insulation there. Thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #13

If you have a large window fan or can rent, or borrow one try placing it in front of your MH or inside the front slide and run it at high speed it may simulate your drive down the highway then you can casually look around your dash for any leaks. Also if you do have openings you'll want to seal them up since if air is getting in water can find it's way if your driving thru a rain storm. Good luck hope you find your air leak.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #14

First, make sure your air control is set to recirc versus fresh air. I have found even sitting on one place if there is a breeze cold air will come through the vents.Then when it’s dark outside raise the hood of your motorhome (I assume it’s a gasser) and have someone on the inside shine a really bright light under the dash on say the drivers side, and then on the passenger side. Check and see if you can “See the Light”. If you can, fill the hole with something like spray foam insulation.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote