Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Cold Feet

My feet have been very cold on every trip during cold weather, figured it was just due to the firewall.
Waited until dark, pulled out the Gen and put a 500W Halogen light on it.
Found a spot that had been missed in manufacturing, 3/4" X 4" long, some expanding foam solved that problem.
If you have cold feet on driver side, check his out.
Ed

Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for posting this Ed. It is true I have found, that the front end is the Achilles heel of the thermal aspect of a coach.

Best regards,
W.D.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely. I have the same problem. Thanks for putting the info out for those who are searching for answers.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I also use a pair of UGG sheepskin slippers. Feet are toasty and comfy.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Slippers= good
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

Haha, I saw the post and thought you have found a solution for our cold tile in our coach. I tell my wife to put on slippers, but she doesn't listen.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good catch....should be quieter too!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Haha, I saw the post and thought you have found a solution for our cold tile in our coach. I tell my wife to put on slippers, but she doesn't listen.
Yeah we don't have heated tile either. They saved that for the Ellipse Ultra and Grand Tour. We have the "regular" Ellipse 42QD, and have to just rough it out

Not to get off topic friends, just a little levity

Seriously, we love our coach, very thermal cold or warm. If we ever move up further, will definitely opt for heated tile as I mentioned in another thread. Point is though, all above mentioned is half worthless if you have a breeze blowing in from the front end. Ed (OP) brings up a good point with this thread, because I have always suspected insulating the front end just might not be top of priorities with manufacturers. Maybe it's just not possible I don't know.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Yeah we don't have heated tile either. They saved that for the Ellipse Ultra and Grand Tour. We have the "regular" Ellipse 42QD, and have to just rough it out

Not to get off topic friends, just a little levity

Seriously, we love our coach, very thermal cold or warm. If we ever move up further, will definitely opt for heated tile as I mentioned in another thread. Point is though, all above mentioned is half worthless if you have a breeze blowing in from the front end. Ed (OP) brings up a good point with this thread, because I have always suspected insulating the front end just might not be top of priorities with manufacturers. Maybe it's just not possible I don't know.

Regards,
W.D.
IMO most of the coaches are not built to travel in seriously cool/cold weather. They are insulated but I believe for hot conditions. How many do much with their unit in freezing temperatures? I know there are some but overall the ventilation is not up to being closed in for long periods of time.

We have driven in cool weather and found the heat to be adequate to be comfortable at less than full settings.

For out situation heated tile may not be the best. We occasionally heat the coach in the morning to take the chill off. Mostly we use the fireplace and very seldom the electric heat in the aquahot. By noon the outside temps have risen so adding much heat in the early morning just makes us start the AC sooner. If we are judicious we can get through the afternoon and evening without AC. I wonder how much residual heat would be in the tile (as a heat sink) that would add heat that would have to be cooled later? For us slippers are the most practical thing to use.

However I am going to do the light test to see if we have similar issues.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah good points Gordon. We get along about the same routines as you. Sometimes the tile can be a shock if you forget the slippers though.

I have read in another thread where the tile residual heat does warm the coach. Still, like you say, good to plug any holes up, keep critters at bay as well.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
My feet have been very cold on every trip during cold weather, figured it was just due to the firewall.
Waited until dark, pulled out the Gen and put a 500W Halogen light on it.
Found a spot that had been missed in manufacturing, 3/4" X 4" long, some expanding foam solved that problem.
If you have cold feet on driver side, check his out.
Ed
Had the same thing on a 2013 Thor Challenger. Foam fixed it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
Waited until dark, pulled out the Gen and put a 500W Halogen light on it. Found a spot that had been missed in manufacturing, 3/4" X 4" long, some expanding foam solved that problem. Ed
so dumb question but, I had to re-foam after my banks intake replacement and used a gray marine foam. I was concerned about the heat in the area even tho it is above and forward of the actual engine, is there a specific type or brand expanding foam you used.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #13

Rear end diesel pusher, so no heat issue in the front
Used expanding foam from Home Depot

Ed
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I've discovered that the dash a/c does much better than the dash heater. Even when just driving on chilly spring mornings I have to turn on the furnace to warm the coach up a bit while driving. My heater just doesn't seem to work quite so well.