Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Wink Cold Use Only

Hello again everyone. Haven't been on here in like 4yrs since we quit using the RV. With several tries at selling the old girl and nobody wanting it, we've decided to keep it.

Since I farm, my only time off is in the cold winter months. No problem there as I LOVE TO ICE FISH!! So, our 32' 1995 Cobra by Cordoba rv is going to be our new ice rig hotel. Instead of paying for a hotel and having to drive 50miles in one direction to the lake, we're going to set this old girl up right next to the lake for usually a weekend at a time, not much more as the guys I go with are normal 9-5 factory jobs.

What can I do to get the most out of her without freezing to death or using 40gal of propane every time we go out. Mostly going to be in Eastern Nebraska and Eastern South Dakota. Most of my compartments on the belly side are going to be used for ice equip storage so I have some work to do with the doors there. I'm up for any and all suggestions. I plan on filling the onboard water tank from a gas station near our destination so I don't have to haul all that weight with me. on the nicer days I'll just hook up to the spigot on site. its just me and the guys so a shower isn't needed every night and we don't do much but sit in an ice hut so its not like we're going to be nasty. However, we do want the option for a warm shower in case someone falls through we have a warm place to hose down too.

I'm up for any and all suggestions to make the most of her for the winter. I've remodeled most of the interior to modernize it a bit but still have the front area to do. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks everyone, so glad to be back on here!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #2

Here is my take...
1.use the thermostat to your advantage.... you enter ...up the thermostat to user friendly settings....you leave.... drop that thermostat to 50F

2. You will need to leave the hot water htr ON.... if not you will burst the tank

3. Heat escapes out the ceiling vents....I have velcro vent covers made from that BLUE insulation construction foam. I cover bathroom and living area vents. You need to remove this when you shower....or ICE will form thickly on all windows.

4. Front window blinds.....make sure you use them...they provide insulation of a sort.

5. Pull all curtains down....they provide insulation.

6. HAY bales as skirting.... if you are parking for extended periods ...get hay bales to push just up under the rig.....just to keep cold air from blowing up under. The down side is rodents.....rodents love the hay.

7. PROPANE Bypass addon....I placed this on my rig...it allows me to use small or larger external propane tanks I carry with me. So when my main tank is low or I just do not want to use that propane I can go with an external tank....it extends my stay power.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

we put hay around our house bathroom where the pressure tank is below to keep it insulated better (house built in 1890). The field mice LOVE this... LOL

Thank you for all the tips!!

Forgot to ask 1 question.

How can I keep my dump tanks for freezing solid so I can empty them when I get home? Don't really want to spend $100 for 3 tanks for those heater blankets... might have to though. Any other ideas? In the last camper we were using we all agreed no #2 in the tank so the owner could dump RV antifreeze in the tank to keep the liquid from freezing that way. Whoever #2 got the pleasure of cleaning the tanks!

Didn't know if this is a logical thought or not...
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

I keep my tanks half full.... in a winter use scenario...I know NOT to turn off my propane RV heat...the furnace has several areas where it shares cabin heat with the area around the tanks. Keep up your battery maintenance...make sure you run the genny twice everyday to charge the batteries....and you should be good. On my rig I went solar. My batteries stay crisp by being charged all day. I just do not park in the shade.

Use the shower.... the hot water keeps the tank warm too. I get about 7-8 RV showers before the grey tank is full. If my wife is with me 5 perhaps....

Make sure you use the RV and you should be good.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote