Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Cold Weather Camping testimonial

We just completed a six week trip to Florida. When we left for Florida, the temperatures were in the 20-30's. We filled four of five one gallon jugss for the toilet usage until we could de-winterize. On the 2nd night, we stopped in Tifton, GA (KOA) and de-winterized by flushing the fresh water tank, filling it about 1/3 and then flushing the pink stuff from the sinks and faucets. When you do this, make sure you put some fresh water in all of the sink drains. This prevents black water odor from getting into the coach since they were most likely dryed out from storage.
Our six weeks went very well and we thoroughly enjoyed the warm 80 degree weather.
Finally on March 1, 2013, it came time to head home. 1st night in northern Florida where a cold snap had cooled nightime temps to the 30's. The 2nd night was in Forsyth,GA where it got down to lower 30's. The third night was in Georgetown, KY and the prediction was for very cold temperatures.. I put a remote temperature sensor in the wet bin to monitor the temperature.. Outside temperature got down to 19 degrees!.
Inside the wet bin, the temperature remained at 46 degrees!. Out heat in the basement apparently allowed for this.. After the sun came up and warmed things up to the 30's, I drained the fresh water tank and then, follwing the instructions provided in the Winnebago instruction manual, began the BLOW OUT procedure using an inexpensive WATER LINE BLOW OUT HOSE purchased from CampingWorld while in Florida. I attached my portable air compressor to the water inlet, being careful not to exceed 30 PSI according to the instructions. I removed the plug from the water heater, released the pressure relief valve and drained the water heater according to the blow out instructions. I replaced the water heater plug and closed the relief valve. I then went around and opened all the faucets, shower hand-helds, and the toilet until nothing but air came out. After this, I closed the fresh water drain valve and poured about a quart of pink stuff in all of the drain traps.
Finally, dumped the black and grey water. Hopefully, this summer, when we use it again, all will be well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you didn't have any issues. Usually if you are careful, camping in the winter is fun. We just did a two-week jaunt in February across Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. We had a blast! Like you, we left the pink stuff in the lines while it was cold and didn't flush it out until Las Wages, NV. We also just carried jug water for toilet and sink rinsing. From NV onwards, we hooked up to outside water and did not fill the water tank. We stayed with jug water while traveling. Surprise! It snowed over 2" on us south of Tucson, AZ. We have a picture of the snow on the orange tree by our MH. No problems. We just disconnected the water line at night and left the hot water heater on. With the furnace running, like you, the grey and black water area stayed well above freezing. When we got to NM, it really got cold a couple of nights - down to 11F. We stayed toasty warm with the furnace and a small electrical heater and still had no problems with the water. We did, however, discover the "ACE drip" discussed under the Thor owners forum.

All in all, we'll plan on going out again in the cold.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH347 View Post
We just completed a six week trip to Florida. When we left for Florida, the temperatures were in the 20-30's. We filled four of five one gallon jugss for the toilet usage until we could de-winterize. On the 2nd night, we stopped in Tifton, GA (KOA) and de-winterized by flushing the fresh water tank, filling it about 1/3 and then flushing the pink stuff from the sinks and faucets. When you do this, make sure you put some fresh water in all of the sink drains. This prevents black water odor from getting into the coach since they were most likely dryed out from storage.
Our six weeks went very well and we thoroughly enjoyed the warm 80 degree weather.
Finally on March 1, 2013, it came time to head home. 1st night in northern Florida where a cold snap had cooled nightime temps to the 30's. The 2nd night was in Forsyth,GA where it got down to lower 30's. The third night was in Georgetown, KY and the prediction was for very cold temperatures.. I put a remote temperature sensor in the wet bin to monitor the temperature.. Outside temperature got down to 19 degrees!.
Inside the wet bin, the temperature remained at 46 degrees!. Out heat in the basement apparently allowed for this.. After the sun came up and warmed things up to the 30's, I drained the fresh water tank and then, follwing the instructions provided in the Winnebago instruction manual, began the BLOW OUT procedure using an inexpensive WATER LINE BLOW OUT HOSE purchased from CampingWorld while in Florida. I attached my portable air compressor to the water inlet, being careful not to exceed 30 PSI according to the instructions. I removed the plug from the water heater, released the pressure relief valve and drained the water heater according to the blow out instructions. I replaced the water heater plug and closed the relief valve. I then went around and opened all the faucets, shower hand-helds, and the toilet until nothing but air came out. After this, I closed the fresh water drain valve and poured about a quart of pink stuff in all of the drain traps.
Finally, dumped the black and grey water. Hopefully, this summer, when we use it again, all will be well.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and providing the details of the things you did. I am a Florida resident and have been hesitant about going north in the cold weather with our KSDP. Now I see it is possible and not a disaster waiting to happen if you plan ahead and are careful. Thank you again..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping