Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't the heat pumps automatically shut down and the furnace take over when the temps get too low? Ours do and did on the previous DSDP too.
The air from the heat pumps won't feel warm to you as it's cooler than body temperature. Only way to really tell is to use a thermometer in the outlet vent.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
We added heat strips to our 2 coleman 13500 heat pump-A/C. What happens as per airxcel (Coleman AC people). If you have selected electric heat your heat pump will turn on to maintain the temperature. If the heat pump will not keep up the inside temperature to what you set thermostat , once the temperature is 5 degrees below the thermostat it turns on the gas heater. Once the temperature is back up to the set point then the gas heater turns off. If you have heat strips in your heat pump AC . Once the outside temperature drops to low for the heat pump ( freezing) the controls will automatically shut the heat pump compressor off and turn on the heat strips, if the temperature inside the motorhome drops 5 degrees below the thermostat temperature it automatically turns the gas heater on until the temperature rises then it shuts the gas heater off. This is the operation of the Coleman AC - heat pumps with the Coleman wall thermostat in a 2007 MH. Not sure how it works on older or newer or for different manufactor.
This is the best research information I have seen on Coleman. I had no idea about the heat strips or that airxcel was the principle.

Now the question is where do you get the strips? I have had so many bad experiences with bad advice and misinformation from dealers that I am gun shy about approaching any of them. Any hard facts from you posted here will save many of us much time and avoid dealer produced goose chasing. Thanks for jumping in.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #31
Cat

For information about heat strips and what you'll need- go to rvcomfort.com and then to the contact drop down. You will need your air conditioner serial number and the control box serial number for them to give accurate information. At least that is what they asked me for. Hope that helps.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
The heat pumps do not work when the temperatures are below 40 we use 2- ceramic electric heaters in our coach (use the parks power) not your propane. We set the furnace thermostat for about 65 and normally the propane furnace never comes on, we also cover the front door with the windshield sun shield material we buy at the $ store and duct tape together to fit the door opening
Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to have evaporator coil checked for air flow on your heat pump for maximum heating with your heat pump.
You should have at least 1 heat strip that comes in while compressor is in defrost mode reversing freon through evaporator coil. If not you can add heat strip and replace board and t-stat with electric heat selection.
Your air temp while on heat pump should be at least 80 degrees minimum coming out on vents which feels medium warm not hot .
When it gets real cold like 35 degrees we put on stove top burners for a short while to help strip heat to catch up and maintain 70 degrees .
Heat pumps spend more time in and out of defrost cycles when temps drop below 35 degrees that they can't maintain selected temps so either your gas furnace will come on or heat strips will stay on until desired temps are met.

The freezing sensor on the condenser coil is designed to lock out compressor from coming on when coil freezes up.
Regardless of temp and humidity levels but it is generally in the 30s temp.

Good luck ,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
One or the other but typically the heat pumps aren't capable of working much below 40 degrees.
Yep, those HPs are great when it's in the 50s, but not much colder. If we have AC power, we have two Lasko tower heaters we use. We'd rather use the CG's electricity than our power.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #35

So many options, I chose the CheapHeat add-on. It uses the existing duct work in my coach and also supplies the basement with heat. No worries about falling over and running out of propane in the middle of the night. If I loose shore power I flip my swtich from electic to gas very simple and reliable. This is going to be my second winter using it.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
The comment about turning on the stove burners is not a great practice, though I have been known to do this in my popup trailer in the years of my youth.

Heat pumps do work into the high 30ies. Your heat or cool will be drastically affected by dirt, leaves and junk in the heat exchange fins. Pulling the cover off the units a couple of times a year and cleaning them, including racking the bent fins, is a great way to get the max from your units.

Supplement heaters are a good way to go. One friend of mine even put a gas heater in his rig. But he wintered in NM.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #37

Do you mean putting several holes in a 3 lb coffee can with the old style beer can opener and turning it upside down on a burner doesn't work any more? Been there done that. Probably not safe. Especially now that I am older and wiser. It does work though.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The coffee can on the stove still works, just remember to open a window to replace the oxygen. If you don't you may not hear the CO alarm sound when it goes off.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #39

We use heat pumps all the time above 38*. If the temp is to go below that when we retire to bed we turn on the gas furnace for the night (set @ 68 degrees). Down comforter is the greatest for cold nights.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote