Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cold weather tire pressures

Hi gang, a question about Fall time tire pressures.
I've noticed that during cold Fall evenings and mornings that my tire pressures are down considerably. For obvious reasons.
Is there a pressure value offset that can be applied to attain the correct pressure vs temperature?
It would seem that adding air in the morning to reach the correct pressures could lead to tire failure once the day warms up. Here in Nova Scotia just this past weekend temps went from 0C to 25C.
Any thoughts?

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I share your concern. I installed a TPMS and found my tire pressures increased 10 - 15 #s while driving from 7 AM to 2 PM. I am conservative in my cold tire pressures when I know I am going to be driving in warmer temperatures. As an example, if I need a minimum of 95 #s on a given trip I will start at about 90 knowing the tire will be at 100 once I get on the road for hour. I still monitor my pressures to make sure I don't get below or above the mental limits I have established allowing for outside air temperature changes.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Inflate your tires to the correct pressure for the weight when cold/before driving, and then enjoy the drive. Don't try to over-manage the pressures. The tire pressure charts reflect the "when cold" pressure and have the fact that pressure rises with heat in mind. A tire that requires 95psi when cold is likely dangerously under-inflated if it has 95psi when the tire is warm/hot.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Inflate your tires to the correct pressure for the weight when cold/before driving, and then enjoy the drive. Don't try to over-manage the pressures. The tire pressure charts reflect the "when cold" pressure and have the fact that pressure rises with heat in mind. A tire that requires 95psi when cold is likely dangerously under-inflated if it has 95psi when the tire is warm/hot.
I agree with you to a point. That being, the volume of air required to reach 95psi at 0C is considerably more than say at 25C.
My concern is filling the tire to 95psi at near zero temps causes excessive pressures once the day warms up, to say nothing about increasing tire temps due to driving.
I'm wondering if at that point it would be safe/ advisable to release some air down to the upper limits of safe driving pressures.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire manufacturers are very aware of expansion and heat and take all that into account. Its good to be aware, but this is not something to worry about, and I have never seen anything from any tire manufacturer that calls for you to adjust hot tire pressures, in fact I have seen several that warn against it.

Make sure your cold pressure is correct and don't let air out when hot, you'll wear out your valve stems deflating and inflating your tires! You have a tpms that will warn you if one get's out of 'whack' either pressure or heat wise.

AFCHAP is right, don't overworry.

I know, I was told that too before when I was concerned about something, but it is a good rule of thumb.

Best wishes!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Tire manufacturers are very aware of expansion and heat and take all that into account. Its good to be aware, but this is not something to worry about, and I have never seen anything from any tire manufacturer that calls for you to adjust hot tire pressures, in fact I have seen several that warn against it. Make sure your cold pressure is correct and don't let air out when hot, you'll wear out your valve stems deflating and inflating your tires! You have a tpms that will warn you if one get's out of 'whack' either pressure or heat wise. AFCHAP is right, don't overworry. I know, I was told that too before when I was concerned about something, but it is a good rule of thumb. Best wishes!
Thanks for that! I do have a TPMS and funny enough that's what created this question because of the over pressure situation.
I'll just keep an eye on it. I guess as long as they are all increasing at close to the same rate all is well.
Thanks again,
Stewart
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Set pressure cold and don't adjust during the day.
Discussion here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=73&
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Thanks for that! I do have a TPMS and funny enough that's what created this question because of the over pressure situation.
I'll just keep an eye on it. I guess as long as they are all increasing at close to the same rate all is well.
Thanks again,
Stewart

No problem Stewart.

When I put my tpms on I was freaking out about one side tire pressure or heat compared to others, and in that case, too much info is maddening at times.

I learned to realize pressures and temperatures can vary 10-15% depending on where the sun is hitting them, the loading of the coach, etc.

I remember my front right tire was like 10 degrees hotter than the front left tire once, I was having a conniption about it and I just was not used to knowing all that at the time. It's not unusual for one side to be that much different. I was convinced there was a brake caliper sticking, but no such thing was happening, it was just that the sun was on the other side and those tires were all warmer than the dark side....

I had someone tell me I was overworrying and even though I didn't believe it at the time, I really was, lol.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

There IS a point at which you could take ambient temperature into account when filling the tires, and I have used it on occasion when there was going to be a particularly drastic rise in temp from when checking the tire pressure in the morning till daytime travel temps.

However, because RV tires are most often replaced due to passage of time, as opposed to wear, such strict measures are somewhat moot in my opinion as the pressure will only very 1 pound for every 10 degrees in temp.

If however, you wish to make the adjustment, the procedure is here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

Ed
USN Ret
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I agree with you however tire charts don't take in consideration when I leave Wisconsin in Feb when it is -10 and I drive to Albuquerque where it is +100. I had a 97 Adventure with 16" tires and blew out 3 tires in that area in a 2 year period. After a lot of research I realized I was blowing them out due to tire pressure beyond the ability of the tire to withstand. After I set the tire pressure in WI per the chart and when I arrived in the SW I had to re-adjust my cold pressure. After that I never blew another tire. The down side was when I got back to a colder climate I had to re-inflate my tires to the proper cold pressure.

With my present coach the Michelin chart states 85 Rear and 95 front after weighing loaded for travel. When I get to Albuquerque my pressure is 100 R and 110 F hot. My tires state 110 cold so like you I don't worry about it and I don't have to re-inflate them when I get home. Perhaps nitrogen would solve much of the tire pressure fluctuations like I have I don't know? Perhaps someone could jump in here if they have the answer.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

If I may add my 2 cents. Before we had the TPMS we filled our tires in the morning or before we started our trips for that day and didn't think much more about it until the next day or two . Now we have the TPMS and it's in our face and we are monitoring it on a continuing bases. The tire manufacturing companies are telling us to fill our tires as stated above , cold.
We are beating the tire situation to death. As we all know that's a big expense and if they blow can cause a lot of damage if not death. Let's just try to enjoy the ride , that looking at the TPMS , you will miss one of the most beautiful spots on earth " ASPHALT " . LOL
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 10-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
If I may add my 2 cents. Before we had the TPMS we filled our tires in the morning or before we started our trips for that day and didn't think much more about it until the next day or two . Now we have the TPMS and it's in our face and we are monitoring it on a continuing bases. The tire manufacturing companies are telling us to fill our tires as stated above , cold.
We are beating the tire situation to death. As we all know that's a big expense and if they blow can cause a lot of damage if not death. Let's just try to enjoy the ride , that looking at the TPMS , you will miss one of the most beautiful spots on earth " ASPHALT " . LOL
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret

Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #13

The best accessory for nearly all TPMS units is a 4" length of 2" duct tape - stuck over the display screen.
Makes for less distracted driving as well as stops you worrying about things that don't need worrying about.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I prefer to be able to view the information on tires occasionally but not obsess, so I will keep the tape off....

conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote