Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Question Coleman 14.8 BTU Air Conditioner Problem

I have a 1997 Winnie Brave 31RQ with a Coleman 14.8k BTU Mach 15 ducted air conditioner. It's technically a Coleman Model 7335B898, commonly referred to as a 14.8k BTU Mach 15. The a/c has worked fine until now with plenty of cooling capacity. All of a sudden the compressor didn't work on hi. When selecting hi on the thermostat, there was a clicking noise directly under the a/c. I pulled the ceiling screen out which houses the filter (clean) and was unable to locate the source of the clicking noise. I then went to the roof, removed the exterior plastic a/c housing and again tried to locate the source of the clicking noise to no avail. Couldn't hear anything from up on the roof. This noise sounds like a relay or switch clicking on & off, but now it is inconsistent. Sometime it clicks and other times nothing. While on the roof I visually inspected the 3 condensers and all 3 appear to be fine, but I haven't yet checked them electrically. Since the original problem of not running on hi, the a/c now doesn't even run on low cool. The fan comes on and runs as it should, but no cooling. I'm not afraid of purchasing a new unit, but I suspect the a/c compressor is still in good working order; only some component is preventing it from coming on. I'd much rather spend $50 or $100 to repair it if my suspicions are correct. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
vdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

20 year old RV AC? It does not owe you anything. Newer units will be more energy efficient.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

I have had some similar issues with an 87 pace arrow. If i turn the switches a few times shutting it off then on along with the temp knob it seems to do the trick. I found to leave ac set to high and turn the master switch in cupboard off. I think my issue i the connectors inside the switch are worn. Hope this helps
schrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
20 years on that unit? I think you've gotten your money's worth. I had to replace both Duo Therm units on the KStar in the last year and they were only 10 years old. The mobile tech the replaced the salon unit told me that 10 years is about the life of most units. On another note it could be the start capacitor is bad. That's an easy and cheap change out. My money is on a frozen compressor. Good luck.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

Coleman 14.8 BTU Air Conditioner Problem

Vdvan,
I just went through all this. Both my AC's seemed to start having issues. One would turn on, and I could hear the compressor kick on after about 20 seconds, but it would only blow luke cool air. I cleaned the coils, replaced the capacitors, and still Luke cool air. Ordered a replacement Coleman Mach energy efficient unit and swapped them out. Not really that difficult at all to do yourself. Other AC unit would run, but the compressor would never kick on. Replaced the capacitors and still no joy. Replaced that unit also just last week with another Coleman Mach and now my RV could be used as a meat locker if needed - haha.

Save yourself time, money and frustration and just replace it so you can go on trips and not be concerned if it will work or not.

Just my .02
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner