Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #1

Recently we started looking around for another motor home. Prices have fallen dramatically for high end motor homes. Then we hit reality our motor home was upside down in value from what we owe by over $100,000. That came as a shock as we paid down the balance on the loan by over $20,000.00 over the last three years.

Then came the second shock. B of A along with most lenders will not loan to full time RV’rs, and they won’t give you a loan on two RV’s. I’m sure that is because you might tell them to keep your old one and save $100,000! I guess I should say tell you that our credit is solidly in the 800’s and that we have almost enough cash in the bank to purchase the $250,000 motor home. Our problem is that we don’t have the $100,000 needed to sell our present motor home if we do. Obviously the Billions in bail out money we gave the banks is simply not working!

We own two lots in an upscale RV resort. This resort has been running at 15% occupancy. The other day Monaco stock was down to $0.37 per share.

This comes at a time when I’m sure many of you believe that the economy is sound! However, faced with hard reality the real question is will our RV lifestyle survive?

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #2

Recently we started looking around for another motor home. Prices have fallen dramatically for high end motor homes. Then we hit reality our motor home was upside down in value from what we owe by over $100,000. That came as a shock as we paid down the balance on the loan by over $20,000.00 over the last three years.

Then came the second shock. B of A along with most lenders will not loan to full time RV’rs, and they won’t give you a loan on two RV’s. I’m sure that is because you might tell them to keep your old one and save $100,000! I guess I should say tell you that our credit is solidly in the 800’s and that we have almost enough cash in the bank to purchase the $250,000 motor home. Our problem is that we don’t have the $100,000 needed to sell our present motor home if we do. Obviously the Billions in bail out money we gave the banks is simply not working!

We own two lots in an upscale RV resort. This resort has been running at 15% occupancy. The other day Monaco stock was down to $0.37 per share.

This comes at a time when I’m sure many of you believe that the economy is sound! However, faced with hard reality the real question is will our RV lifestyle survive?

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Michael,

I guess it's a matter of perspective. If one were wanting to get into "the RV lifestyle" right now, I don't know that there's ever been a better buyer's market for trucks, 5th wheels, motorhomes, etc. if one has the cash on hand to make the investment.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #4

Michael,
Your coach along with everybody elses have drastically lost value due to the fact most of the Dealers are selling the new ones up to 45% of MSRP from what I have seen. That has had an effect on all the used ones out there. Why would somebody want to buy a used one when you can have a brand new one probably cheaper.
BOA owns mine and they probably wouldn't do it again for us right now even though I have great credit too. The banks are all scared right now. I don't know where all the bailout money went to other than they are holding on to it?
The recession has hit us hard in south Florida. My business is down 25% since last year. We will survive this and the RV lifestyle will recoup as for most of us that RV,we love the lifestyle. I wish I was a full timer (I'm jealeous), but due to my 401K losses it will be quite some time before my wife and I realize our dream of extended travel on the road. Happy travel to you,it will get better.

Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">will our RV lifestyle survive? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no doubts it will survive.

We went through a similar situation in the 70's when countless RV manufacturers folded, but the RV lifestyle survived.

The RV scene is and will be different, but it will survive.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
You know what? I had a pretty good life before I knew what a motorhome was. We will survive. I cannot imagine trying to finance something like a luxury coach with the economy like it is today. We were able to pay cash for the last coach and probably would not have bought it if we had seen the where the economy was headed.
People with money (IMHO) are sitting on it right now, waiting to see where we are headed. The market keeps jumping around like an excited flea. When it begins to show some stability, then I believe you will see some investments and buying taking place.
We did not get into this situation over night and we will not get out over night.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
Recently we started looking around for another motor home....

...I guess I should say tell you that our credit is solidly in the 800’s and that we have almost enough cash in the bank to purchase the $250,000 motor home. Our problem is that we don’t have the $100,000 needed to sell our present motor home if we do. Obviously the Billions in bail out money we gave the banks is simply not working!

We own two lots in an upscale RV resort. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see - you can afford to pay cash for a $250K motorhome, your credit rating is in the 800's, and you own two lots in an upscale resort - I don't think the bail out money was meant for people in your position.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't think the bail out money was meant for people in your position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Allen, I agree with you - it wasn't meant for any of us. What is was meant for was to pay the ex-CEO of Merrell Lynch $25M for about 3 months work so that he could go and by a $37M apartment in NYC. When BofA bought out ML, there was supposed to be controls in place that prevented exceptional executive compensation. They obviously didn't work.

We will continue to enjoy our version of the RV lifestyle as long as we can. The limiting factor for us will be the longevity of my job. The economic crisis has made retiring right now and trying to work off the 401K a pretty unattractive option.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the price of diesel stays reasonable, this next spring/summer/fall will be an ideal time for DW & I to take that long trip we've been planning. Would be helpful if the price on some of these expensive would drop a bit also.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know, I wonder why anyone who is upside down by a 100 thousand dollars in thier present coach would even be looking at another coach that costs 250 thousand. Isn't this a large part of why the finiancial bailout was given to our financial institutions? I hope the B of A has learned something from recent past history.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a simple solution to alot of problems. Enjoy and appreciate what you have, and can afford. I think that if more people would buy what they can pay for with cash, and less credit, they would be very happy.
Personally, if I was ever 100K upside down on anything, it would be time to re-evaluate my decision making process.
Easy credit is what got this economy into this mess, and we will not "borrow and spend" our way out of it.
I have a hard time blaming the banks for my errors in spending.
The motorhome in the driveway may not "keep up with the Jones", but it serves me well, and it is paid for. Let the "Jones" spend their time worrying, I won't.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
The "RV Lifestyle" will survive; after all we are the "Decedents" of the "Tin Can Tourists" from the 1920's.

The "Mode of Travel" will surely take a drastic turn in the upcoming years, however the "Lifestyle" will survive.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #13

I am sitting in South Texas and everywhere I look are RV's of all sorts. Money has gone South, the entire Country is upside down including RVers. We are no different than mainstream America. I am convinced we will survive. Aside from that it would be lonely having to camp alone.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Just wondering how the up-scale rv parks are doing. If they are feeling the pinch like the small mom & pop campgrounds are or are they full.
If they are starting to hurt will they change their policy on age of RV or let none Motor Homes into their parks.
Oh my goodness someone in a pop-up is camping next to us.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote