Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
C'mon y'all . . . pay your taxes . . . all those freeloaders and politicians are depending on you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
What if you spend a month is several states? Please count me in on the next Tea Party.

Nick

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #17

This is an interesting topic, and amusing anecdote on the 'state' and disparity of different State Tax policies...

I really wasn't aware of the requirement to register my vehicle in a State I spend time in...
I'll have to look into that...

It all just makes me glad I have Canadian plates...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the law allows you to avoid paying taxes, it's a loophole. If the law allows me to avoid paying taxes, it's an incentive. We need to close the loopholes and offer more incentives.

If it's legal, use it. Do you think the lawyer/politicians have written any laws so that most of their revenue is not "taxable income"?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #19

Good thing you guys are talking about states, and not commonwealths.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #20

According to this article. The RVs were registered to LLCs. http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=92215

CO having been sucessful, other states are bound to follow suit soon.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
You're being redundant. Politicians are Freeloaders ;o)

Just watching Rome burn while our politicians fiddle.

Nick
Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know this topic is a fertile ground for all sorts of opinions and comments. While your input is wanted and appreciated, lets all be careful NOT to violate our rules # 1. which is pasted below:

Is not consistent with the permissible uses outlined by the Terms of Service (TOS) including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abrasive, harassing, hostile, defamatory, inciting brand wars, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive, religious,political, illegal substances, illegal activities or otherwise objectionable.

Thank you, ED
Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I have no sympathy for those who try not to pay their fair share. These are the people who probably complain that the community doesn't provide enough services for them, ie: fire and police protection, but don't want to contribute to the tax base. While taxes are not fun, they are necessary, and trying to evade them is wrong. It is never a bad idea or time to "Do the Right Thing".
Old 05-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buckeyes:
I have no sympathy for those who try not to pay their fair share. These are the people who probably complain that the community doesn't provide enough services for them, ie: fire and police protection, but don't want to contribute to the tax base. While taxes are not fun, they are necessary, and trying to evade them is wrong. It is never a bad idea or time to "Do the Right Thing". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gene;

Do you ever stop for gas in a low gas tax state just before entering a state with higher gas taxes????

Do you ever buy mail order from out of state and fail to pay your states sales tax on the mail ordered merchandise?? You do know your state requires sales tax to be paid by you on out of state mail ordered merchandise, don't you???

Need I say more????

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #25

Tom N,

I read with interest your signature about "experience" I wonder if you have the USA posted backwards on purpose?

Jim
Old 05-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #26

I wonder how much money they were talking about per unit. If 7 percent sales tax and I was buying a $400,000.00 unit. That would mean the state would have thier hand out for $28,000.00 for a vehicle that probably is driven 10 times a year at most. That seems a little overtaxed. Does Colorado charge sales tax for homes? No wonder they are on the list of states with the most foreclosures. For $28,000 I would move to Montana and commute.
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glen41:
I wonder how much money they were talking about per unit. If 7 percent sales tax and I was buying a $400,000.00 unit. That would mean the state would have thier hand out for $28,000.00 for a vehicle that probably is driven 10 times a year at most. That seems a little overtaxed. Does Colorado charge sales tax for homes? No wonder they are on the list of states with the most foreclosures. For $28,000 I would move to Montana and commute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that is the point of the crack down. If you want to live in the state with all the services and benefits that the taxes pay for then pay your share of the taxes and if you don't want to pay for them then move to the state with the level of services and taxes you are willing to pay.

Yes there may be corruption in government etc that prevents the tax money from being used 100% properly but overall the results are beneficial.

Anyways this is a cautionary that hangs the sword of Damocles out for those who form an LLC so as not to pay their (or what they consider to be unfair) taxes. In Colorado the courts are deciding what is considered using an LLC so as not to pay ones taxes and other states will most likely follow the leader to some extent on this one.

We simply need to be aware and have our own things in order so as not to get burned by this one. For some that will mean no LLC so one will never have to worry about this while others will toss the dice and take their chances. If you toss the dice on this one depending on where you live you could end up with snake eyes.

Personally I am not a gambler and the only sure thing I know is to pay up front and not take a chance.

We have to make a personal choice on this one and be ready to live with the results.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have no sympathy for those who try not to pay their fair share. These are the people who probably complain that the community doesn't provide enough services for them, ie: fire and police protection, but don't want to contribute to the tax base. While taxes are not fun, they are necessary, and trying to evade them is wrong. It is never a bad idea or time to "Do the Right Thing".
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I would agree with you but the key word you mention is "fair share" which in itself compared to other states Colorado is way too high for RV's on their different taxes. It's not only sales tax, but they gig you big time with year to year ownership tax. This computes to annual license fees of thousands of dollars. Likewise many of these RV's spend two thirds of their time in storage. Meaning they spend very little time on the roads.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyways this is a cautionary that hangs the sword of Damocles out for those who form an LLC so as not to pay their (or what they consider to be unfair) taxes. In Colorado the courts are deciding what is considered using an LLC so as not to pay ones taxes and other states will most likely follow the leader to some extent on this one.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> In regards to LLC's what's the difference between an individual living in Colorado doing this then the hundred's of corporations that are doing this to avoid Colorado's taxes. Many of these companies have operations here, yet they moved their LLC's to states back east that are easier on business's regarding taxes and other issues.

Don't get me wrong I for one live on Colorado and I do not have an LLC in Montana, I pay my way out of proportion taxes and I pay exorbitant annual license fees for my motorhome. However, I feel for these guys and don't blame them. Personnally I would hope they'd get together as a group and hire an attorney and take it to court.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote