Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
Yikes! Is a registration like that typical? What is the annual registration for a motorhome in Florida? Anybody know?
I live in Fla. and mine is less than $73.00 annually.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #16

I pay 800.00 in Michigan every year on my birthday. I don't think it goes down ever. I should look into the LLC thing. We own a home here so most likely wouldn't get away with it. Sure hate paying unfair taxes. A 5th wheel is a permeant plate but they pay every year on the truck. I don't mind paying what's fair but 800 a year is to much.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #17

Just back from the DMV... Wrote a check for over $2800. Got a whole $168 dollar credit for the 10 months remaining on my prior plat that I paid $700 for. The response at the DMV was to run for Governor and change the law..... They said they get tons of complaints.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #18

New Essex in my state is $44,250 sales tax on $813,000 MSRP/$580,000 actual cost and $8,000 / year personal Property tax PLUS licenses. (And they say I could'nt park it at my house). So I parked it in Montana. Smart thinking on their part.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Someone mentioned GA ...many states I lived in during my military career (VA, GA, AL to name a few) charge a property tax fee along with vehicle registration. Most in the East/SE base it on a % of "assessed value." That figure is always lower than MSRP. The tax rate varies by county ...it is a county tax rather than state. In VA, that same personal property tax was due also on horses ...the county I was in was actively pursuing people who failed to report owning a horse and had not paid the annual tax! I too entered the military from CO, and ALWAYS found it to my advantage to register my vehicle in the state where I was stationed rather than in CO. I eventually changed my residency. When I retired from the military I also retired from my profession, partly to avoid having to return to CO.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel your pain...

Used to be the fee was based upon the amount on the bill of sale, but no longer, even if the vehicle was a zero dollar gift, it will based upon the value that they determine for the vehicle.
Another gripe I have is the 2yr emissions test, nothing against the test, but I live up in the mountains and the closest one is nearly an hour away, if they require the test, they should have a testing center in our area as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Same boat here - just registered my Winnebago last week in Colorado. Painful, but I knew what to expect. I discussed Montana registration with a lawyer, but would not meet the Colordo residency law to have the motorhome in the state no more than 60 days a year. And yes, they are checking for compliance.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #22

Georgia's new law is on any vehicle purchases after Mar 1 of this year, you pay 6.5% of value as a one time title tax. The supposedly have value tables for cars. When I bought my 2002 Endeavor in mid March, I got to write them a check for $3000. The motorhome was not in their tables, they used my purchase price. Going forward I should only have to pay the annual $20 tag fee. I will however have to own the Endeavor for many years, for the title tax to equal what i would have paid in ad volorum fees.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to make somebody (not me) feel better...here in Taxifornia, we have similar sales tax at the year of purchase and annual personal property tax...AND, the DMV charges a Weight Fee on every pick-up with the registration renewal.

The Weight Fee is based on the trucks empty weight and issues the owner commercial plates for the pick-up.

This is EVERY PICK-UP in the state...even the Honda Ridgeline and Chevy Avalanche...I guess you "could" use the Pick-up for commercial purposes(?).

For my 10 year old Dodge 3500, the property tax is almost nothing, but the Weight Fee is still over $200, which is the largest part of the registration renewal.

This does not apply to a RV, but if you have a towable RV or a boat the only way to avoid it is to tow with a van or SUV...there's no exception for private-use Pick-ups.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Odd experience here in NC, when you buy a car from owner you pay sales tax when you register, it is based on book value of car regardless of what you pay. Bought my MH in Fla, when writing bill of sale owner asked if I wanted a "second" bill of sale for tax purposes, told them about above so bill of sale would not matter. When I went to get tags they asked for bill of sale to which I responded, "what does it matter you are going to use book value anyway", well to my suprised DMV person says "not on motorhomes, we have no data base for them we use bill of sale"! STUNG!! Handed over my bill of sale for full purchase price. $878 later, had my tag.

Property tax seperate issue, they use a value they get from a "service". They did call me for a complete description, i.e. make, year, model, chassis, etc... property taxes (county) about $250. Not too bad compared to CO and GA, but enough.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW

I feel bad for you all.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #26

I Washington State you pay sales tax (as high as 9.8%) on the purchase price and then a registration fee that can be well over $100. So on my Class C I paid sales tax on $12,200 at 8.6% or $1050 plus another $125 registration fee. In Washington State you would have paid over $9000 in sales tax plus registration fee.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #27

Sounds like a lot of double taxation which if I'm not mistaken is supposed to be unconstitutional. But hey who follows that anyway when it comes to taxes.
Guess I'm lucky in Ohio you pay the sales tax per county which for mine is 6.75% then annual registration which is $81 for motor homes $46 for other RVs $31 for cars and trucks and $25 for motorcycles.
Should be a flat fee because registration is just a permit fee to drive on the road. Why should it matter what the value of what you drive is? Just seems wrong
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
WOW

I feel bad for you all.

Now that's a switch - New Jersey isn't known for being Tax Friendly
Here's the AARP map of the US...Tax Unfriendly states:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TaxUnfriendly.png
Views:	98
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	37548

I know - Taxifornia is right up there too
And, please notice that AARP thinks Montana (despite being good for RV's) has some problems too.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote