Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Stacked units have the advantage of allowing a second load to be washing while the first is drying. The more loads runs at a time, the greater the time savings. The downside is one has to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer whereas a combo can be allowed to run from start of wash to end of dry without user intervention. That, however, has a caveat. Even when using a combo, it is recommended that the user remove the clothes at the end of the wash cycle and fold them before putting them back for the dry cycle to reduce wrinkling.

Combo units do save space but they have a reduced drying capacity. The Splendide 2100XC can wash 15 lb. but will dry only 11 lb. The equivalent stack unit can also wash 15 lb. but it will dry 13 lb. Combos also weigh less than stack units.

A combo can run on a single 15A circuit. Stack units usually recommend a separate 15A circuit for both the washer and the dryer (although I suspect a single 20A could handle both on the same circuit, depending on the brand).

One thing to keep in mind is most of the stack units can be placed side by side instead of stacked. If side by side, the units can be raised so it it isn't necessary to bend over as much to access the clothes (I believe it's Splendide that makes a base for that purpose). One can still have storage underneath.

If getting a combo, be sure to get a vented model if at all possible. The ventless use more water, take forever to dry, and tend to wrinkle clothes more. It may take some serious creativity to figure out how and where to put an outside vent but it would be well worth the effort.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We used laundromats for years, then finally got a coach big enough that we could spare the space for a combo washer/dryer. The wife loves the convenience of having a washer in the coach, so that makes me happy too! She would probably love having a stack set even more, but then we wouldn't have a closet and would have to leave our clothes home anyway?

Our Spendide 2100XC wrinkles more than the separate washer & dryer at home, but by no means a big problem. We usually hang shorts and t-shirts on hangers after taking them out of the dryer, so any wrinkles fall out. I made an outside hanger rack for the rear ladder.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
paz

We love the convenience of an on-board washer/dryer. We wouldn't be without one. We can do a load of wash every day or two and never have to go to a laundromat where who knows what was in that washer (pet bedding, diapers, muddy clothes, etc.) before your clothes.

We have a combo unit. It works well, but it takes a little getting used to in order to minimize drying time and wrinkles. The stackables are more efficient and faster; but, of course, a stackable will take twice as much room as a combo, and will be heavier than a combo, so make sure you can spare the room and can carry the weight before switching.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
You may want to refer to the Splendide recommended loading.

Splendide Laundry Centers Consumer Tips

Our clothes are relatively wrinkle free. Using too much or the wrong detergent also causes the clothes to wrinkle.

Since my friend that owns laundromats told me stories of what people put in machines I wouldn't launder my shop towels in a public washer. Yep, greasy shop towels was one of the better things. Its the bodily fluids that really concerned me. Maybe a washboard down at the creek would be more sanitary. Makes wearing wrinkled clothes sound better all the time doesn't it?
Thanks for the link. I'll share it with DW.

Seems like 1 pr jeans, 1 pr socks, 2 t shirts 2 pair shorts would equal
Sample Load 3: 1 Hand Towel, 1 Pair of Jeans, 1 Sweatshirt

Thanks for not telling us the rest of what goes in public washing machines
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #19

We have a combo, small but works great. It gets used mostly to keep bath towels washed up. The secret I think is use fabric softener it stops the wrinkles.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #20

Splendide combo is great. Stacked separate W/D is better. If you have the space to loss to install a stacked unit you will be able to much more than you can with the combo. If you want to save the save you just need to "learn" how to use the combo. We have used our combo since 1999 with only an occasional trip to the laundry room. We love the convenience.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #21

Heartland RV Club
Our previous coach had a combo unit ,the Winnie has a stack able . the stack able is much faster . The only issue is the drier makes a funny noise when running. Lazy Days says It is normal.
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we started looking for our coach 3 years ago, my wife said she did not want a washer/dryer. Well, the coach on the lot that we purchased had the combo washer/dryer unit already installed from the factory. The dealer said they could remove it. But since it was already there, we said to just leave it.

Since then we have used it a number of times. Since I am not retired yet, we do a lot of weekend trips where we do not use it at all. However, we have used it on a number of occasions when we have been out for a week or two.

The trick is to stop the unit between the wash and dry cycle. Take the clothes out, shake them a bit and then throw them aback in to dry. The same you would normally do when taking clothes from a standalone washer and placing into the dryer. You get less wrinkles this way.

By the way, it also works out well even when on a weekend trip when you get caught out in the rain and need to dry your clothes.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
The trick is to stop the unit between the wash and dry cycle. Take the clothes out, shake them a bit and then throw them aback in to dry. The same you would normally do when taking clothes from a standalone washer and placing into the dryer. You get less wrinkles this way.
Will try this on our next trip.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Whatever you so, do not use dryer sheets! Those things can deposita thin, lint attracting layer of oil over the works that can jam it up. I had to replace the motor in a residential dryer because of the build up. It took me forever to clean the gunk out and get the drum freely turning again.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #25

I like the combo unit we have in the motor home. My wife does not. Even for me and I do not mind a few wrinkles, the combo unit puts out clothes with lots of wrinkles. I think irons cause cancer so I never use them. Certainly heart disease.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the Splendide WD single unit and love it. It is only intended for a few articles of clothing at a time - you'll know you've overloaded it because when the clothes come out of the dryer, they WILL be very WRINKLED. It's great for socks, underwear, shorts - small articles especially. If you want to do levis and/or towels, I wouldn't try to do more than 2 at a time. Fabric softener (sheets or liquid) are a must. We'd much rather have the W/D than the extra storage space. Besides, both add weight so what's the real difference? We think the W/D also adds value to our MH.

Jim and Susan
2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 37B
with '97 Suzuki Sidekick "toad" and 2 Westie girls too
Oregon
Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Washer/Dryer is A must have. A no-brainer.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
We have the Splendide WD single unit...Fabric softener (sheets or liquid) are a must...

Jim and Susan
2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 37B
with '97 Suzuki Sidekick "toad" and 2 Westie girls too
Oregon
From the Splendide manual:

IMPORTANT:
NEVER USE FABRIC SOFTENER

SHEETS!

Read my previous post about why not to use dryer sheets.

I won't even use fabric softener in my washer. Fabric softener deposits a thin layer on oil on the cloth fibers so they will slip over each other easier, giving the illusion of softness. Even if just used in the washer, some of that oil could evaporate in the dryer and be redeposited in the works, eventually gumming it up (granted, that wouldn't happen nearly as fast as with dryer sheets). Also, the oil in the fabric will attract and hold dirt.