Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #29

KZ RV Club
We have the Splendide combo . . . I've found if you use the fabric softener with every load and keep the loads small, the clothes come out fine. You don't have to go straight into the dry cycle . . . if there are "finer" items that you don't want to dry, you just have to be there to remove them, and set the combo to just dry. I don't like using fabric softener for towels, but I have found that you have to set it to wash, shake the towels out individually, and then dry unless you want a "wad" of towels in the end! I like the extra space that the combo affords, and also like to be able to do quick loads without dealing with the park's laundry room. I still use the park's laundry, though, for sheets and blankets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We had a spledide combo in our first coach, it was horrible. Wrinkled mess, 3 or 4 hours to dry one pair of jeans... horrible.

New coach has a big closet instead, like that better.

If we need to luander, we go to a nice campground. Use thiers. A couple pairs if commercial maytags makes fast work of laundry. And no, we don't sit there and watch em, someone wants my underwear, they can have em.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #31

Wouldn't travel without it....thanks for the tip about removing the clothes and reloading them...another good thing is warm towels after a shower....
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Splendide has great information on it website.

Splendide Laundry Centers Customer Support Center
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Splendide has great information on it website.

Splendide Laundry Centers Customer Support Center
This is a quote from the FAQs in the linked Support Center:

""What kind of fabric softener/How much should I use?"
Answer: We recommend using 1-2 tablespoons of a liquid fabric softener as needed - to reduce wrinkling and speed drying. Bio-friendly fabric softeners, or those that appear light in color, dissolve more quickly in less water and minimize build-up within your machine and in the environment. NEVER use fabric softener sheets."

Again, Splendide specifically bans the use of dryer sheets.

Even though Splendide recommends the use of fabric softener to reduce wrinkling and speed drying, it also recommends "bio-friendly fabric softeners" to minimize build-up within the machine. Note the word minimize, not eliminate. That strongly suggests there will still be some buildup in the machine of the oils that make fabric softeners work which supports my experience. I would prefer to live with a few wrinkles than to have to deal with degunking another machine, especially at my age.

If wrinkles were a problem, I can always iron them out (except for underwear). Even though irons cause cancer (said Jeannie tongue in cheek), at my age, I'll be dead before the cancer shows up.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
This is a quote from the FAQs in the linked Support Center:

""What kind of fabric softener/How much should I use?"
Answer: We recommend using 1-2 tablespoons of a liquid fabric softener as needed - to reduce wrinkling and speed drying. Bio-friendly fabric softeners, or those that appear light in color, dissolve more quickly in less water and minimize build-up within your machine and in the environment. NEVER use fabric softener sheets."

Again, Splendide specifically bans the use of dryer sheets.

Even though Splendide recommends the use of fabric softener to reduce wrinkling and speed drying, it also recommends "bio-friendly fabric softeners" to minimize build-up within the machine. Note the word minimize, not eliminate. That strongly suggests there will still be some buildup in the machine of the oils that make fabric softeners work which supports my experience. I would prefer to live with a few wrinkles than to have to deal with degunking another machine, especially at my age.

If wrinkles were a problem, I can always iron them out (except for underwear). Even though irons cause cancer (said Jeannie tongue in cheek), at my age, I'll be dead before the cancer shows up.
Can someone list a couple bio-friendly fabric softeners so I can sound smart when I explain it to the DW.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #35

We have a combo unit.... Hardly ever use it as it takes forever, wrinkles everything, can only work with small loads, cannot handle our sheets & bedding, etc. We find it is much more efficient, quicker and less all-round hassle to spend the time & money in a campground laundromat (where we can also hook-up to wifi and clear-up email at the same time).
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems as if the OP can see this is a mixed bag .. Smaller, bigger , more closet space, such choices.
I put a fabric sheet on my forehead once. No wrinkles yet..
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Slendide W/D Unit vs Stackable

Thanks so much for the info about not using fabric softener sheets. I should've read the Splendide operating manual a bit closer, but haven't done too many loads using the sheets, as I started with using liquid fabric softener and used the sheets a couple of times just because it's neater.

Yes, it's faster to get all your laundry done at once, at the RV park laundry center - but who wants to make sure they have the correct coins, stay there and watch the stuff and wait forever for it to dry? I'd rather just do a load here and there in my own MH, where I can relax, watch TV, listen to music, chat with hubbie, use the laptop, cook, read or nap, etc. Plus some laundry rooms are just plain creepy and not the cleanest.

I guess if we were full-timers with a lot more laundry accumulating, including bedding and towels, I'd use the laundry facilities, but for just being gone a week or two for now, the W/D is a blessing to have for us. Also nice when it's raining outside and you don't feel like trudging with your laundry basket, soap, etc., to the laundry room (or even driving there in our toad if necessary).

As we always say - to each his/her own - and that includes Splendides, Stacked W/Ds, and RV park laundry rooms!

Happy Trails,

Susan and Jim
Oregon
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote