Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #1

Combo Washer/Dryer

We're new to the RV world and Class A in particular. We've been looking at a variety of floor plans to find one(s) that might fit our "plans" which could run from full timers to 2 to 4 months out at a time depending on several variables.

What's the story on the usefulness of the combo washer/dryers? We've seen many rigs with them and several with stack-able ones. And gotten very mixed stories. What say you?

If the combo was in the rear would you consider modifying cabinetry to put in stack-ables, since the plumbing is already into the area?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I like having the combo in our rig. No trips to the laundry mat. We do call it our washer mangler as the clothes come out looking like they were tied in knots while wet then ran over.

Load size is smaller than home so you wash more frequently.

Our only negative comment is the extended dry time.

If I could change to stackable units with out modifying the cabinet I would just for the added capacity.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a combo unit and would not be without one.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Had great satisfaction with our Splendide 2000 in 91 Kountry Aire 36 triple slide 5er ! We fulltimed in it for 8 years and that washer/dryer probably ran daily to several times a day for the entire time without missing a lick. Drying was a bit of a challenge at first until we learned to NOT OVERLOAD. Ours was short tube vented to outside and this made it much more efficient at drying ! Have also used the stacked units but hated giving up the closet space. If we had had it with kids along then stacked would be the way to go... seems would be a never ending job to run the splendide that much !

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !
Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have the combo unit and like the fact that we can put dirty clothes in when we leave in the morning and have clean dry, ones when we return. The trick is to keep the loads small. The person who complains about the condition of the clothes when they come out is putting too much in. We'd never give up the space to get stackables; that's the deepest closet in the rig.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For two people there great, but if you have kids there to small and take to long. We had one in our old MH but when we bought the new MH we passed on the washer/dyer.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I had the Whirlpool stacked units and they worked out great.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't overload mine. 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair socks, 1 or 2 t shirts and 1 or 2 pair of shorts. Wrinkled beyond belief, fortunately I don't hate ironing. Gladly deal with the wrinkles for the convenience of having w/d onboard
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

I think it really depends on several factors that really need to be considered before deciding on which one is right for you.

There's the issue w/all-in-ones taking longer to 'dry' then normal stack-ables. On the other side of the argument, I'm sure one could get more done w/a stackable unit.

Then of course there's the cost of installation and space needed if you happen to do an aftermarket install because the MH you may eventually decide to buy doesn't have one!

Personally...in my perfect world, I'd go for a stack W/D setup as I wouldn't mind giving up on closet space if needed. I could always store the winter/summer clothes in the storage bays if space became an issue!

Guess it all just boils down to personal taste and knowing how much you love/hate doing laundry!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the splendide combo. Took it out for the extra storage space and less weight to carry. Don't regret it.

Also, I don't mind a couple hours each week using the campground laundry facilities. A good book, cup of coffee to pass the time.

Have met and made some great new friends there that we would not have if it weren't for those laundry days.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our rig came with one and my first thought was to take it out for more storage room but the little lady said we should try it out first. Well to keep the story short it's still in there and she loves it. Sure beats going to the laundromat all the time. The only thing we go there for is when she wants to wash the throw rugs and/or the comforter on the bed.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Love our Splendide combo. Just right for us (2). The advantages of a stackable duo for us would be mostly reduced time to cycle through a load from beginning to dry if you are running multiple loads as you can be drying the first load while washing the second. Losing the cabinet space would be a big minus.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #13

Combo Washer/Dryer

Herself used the combo for quite awhile. Complained the whole time, and used the campgrounds W/D when loads became too large. Had the combo replaced with stacked unit. The installed did a great job, replacing the doors and you would not know there was anything changed. Now she does bigger loads and the dryer does a great job. Now she is happy, which is great for myself!!!
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I don't overload mine. 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair socks, 1 or 2 t shirts and 1 or 2 pair of shorts. Wrinkled beyond belief, fortunately I don't hate ironing. Gladly deal with the wrinkles for the convenience of having w/d onboard
You may want to refer to the Splendide recommended loading.

Splendide Laundry Centers Consumer Tips

Our clothes are relatively wrinkle free. Using too much or the wrong detergent also causes the clothes to wrinkle.

Since my friend that owns laundromats told me stories of what people put in machines I wouldn't launder my shop towels in a public washer. Yep, greasy shop towels was one of the better things. Its the bodily fluids that really concerned me. Maybe a washboard down at the creek would be more sanitary. Makes wearing wrinkled clothes sound better all the time doesn't it?