Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by read & learn:
First let me say I am very pleased with the responses to this point,but was hoping to get input from Active Air owners.

Knowing I can't get Comfort Drive without buying a new coach and being very happy with my current coach, I was looking for a system that would do for me what Comfort Drive does for Newmar owners, making driving a whole lot more enjoyable.

Bob has a seperate thread "Tests for Comfort Drive Owners or Test Drivers" gave some good info on the Comfort Drive workings.
Jeff Regan stated it had past problems, but could be a great system if improvements have been made and put together with Comfort Drive would be an out of this world driving system.
Route 66 stated the the system is tied up by Newmar for at least 2 more years, but that the system could be retrofitted.
Lug-Nut had a very good question on how the system would handle road crowns and what would happen if you changed lanes to pass.

These are the questions and answers I am looking for, but maybe I should be in a different area of Irv2.com. If that's the case help to put this thread there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry there has been some confusion, but when your post mentions you own an '05 KSDP and you mention Comfort Drive in a Newmar Forum, I'm thinking this is where the thread would go....
It is apparent now you were really wondering about the possible differences between HWH Active Air and the Comfort Drive and of course whether or not you could even get Comfort Drive.

Let me first clear up sone misconceptions you already have, based on your above post and then I am going to retitle this and move it to a generic MH thread to see if I can get you some HWH "Active Air" answers.....You could always call HWH as well.

First of all, Newmar currently has an exclusive through the '08 model year, but apparently is negotiating for an extension.
While it's certainly "physically possible" for this to be retrofitted, Spartan has the contract with TRW and they're certainly not going to allow that to happen, and you can bet that, if the contract expires TRW will be selling this to someone else....like hotcakes!

I will link this post to the generic motor home thread to give some folks the opportunity to answer your HWH Active Air questions, but your best bet just might be contacting HWH.
Having been to HWH in Moscow,IA I can personally attest to their being some really nice folks there....Give them a call.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Bob
I have been in contact with HWH. Took awhile but they got back, but after talking to Jeff Wallick I think a trip to Moscow will answer the rest of our questions, plus a Test Drive.

Depends on how we schedule our next trip [2/3 years] begining in Sept. wheter we will be there Oct/Nov or on our way to DuQuin, Ill in the Spring.

It also gives us a little more time to think about upgrading current Coach or a getting a new Newmar coach. If we decide on Active Air it would be installed at the HWH factory.

We are a little like you when it comes to Newmar service, it can not be beat, they just step up to the plate on their end and have their venders do the same.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Regan:
A few years ago, Spartan offered an active ride option. American Coach was the only builder to
use it. It went through a couple of generations, but was problematic.

I believe that a well implemented active ride suspension makes a lot of sense on a big coach,
more so than on a luxury car. To be able to control roll and pitch on a coach beyond what current air suspension offer mechanically would
be a big step forward.

I would love to hear from somebody who has had
experience with the HWH system. If done effectively, there is no reason why active suspension would not be as big or even a bigger
step than Comfort Drive. Used together, it could be the hot setup.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our new Foretravel has active air suspension. I've only test-driven them, so I don't have a lot of experience. It is a bit uncanny having the coach so level under braking and while turning -- a very nice thing to have if you're walking around the coach!

The 1st thing I noticed about the system was the sound. As you brake or turn you can hear the air going into the bags. It sounds just like you're letting off the brakes and you get that brief hiss of air. I asked why the brakes were hissing so much only to find that it was the active suspension at work.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Jason, congrats on the new Nimbus....will be sorry to see you leave the Newmar family, keep us posted on your experiences with the Active Air....

Looks like your Nimbus with the Cummins ISM is priced in the high 400's to maybe the low 500's and wondering if you'd considered the MADP or the EXDP?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Jason, congrats on the new Nimbus....will be sorry to see you leave the Newmar family, keep us posted on your experiences with the Active Air....

Looks like your Nimbus with the Cummins ISM is priced in the high 400's to maybe the low 500's and wondering if you'd considered the MADP or the EXDP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did...just don't feel the new Essex is up to the quality standard of our 2004. Also like the features Foretravel has...fully customized interior, disc brakes, transmission retarder, semi-monoque chassis, flush slide-outs, etc.

One of the biggest differences is the quietness of the ride (this is reason #1 we decided to upgrade) -- the longer we've had the MADP the louder the CRASH on every bad spot in the road). The hung sidewall construction and the front overhead area of the Newmar is rather loud on a bad road -- the Foretravel is like a Caddy inside. Jeff Regan knows what I'm talking about!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #20

Jason, Congrats on the Foretravel-would have one now if they had a toyhauler. Will most likely be our next coach(when we get tired of playing).
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #21

Jason,

Who's active system is Foretravel using? Is it
HWH? Do you know anything about it, like how many
sensors it uses? In Formula 1, active suspension
technology worked so well it was banned.

Outboard airbag coaches like Monaco and Foretravel
have very little roll to begin with, but the Monaco brand coaches I've driven definitely porpoised and didn't have enough suspension
travel compared to Spartan with IFS. If the
active suspension in the Foretravel controls
porpoising, that is a big step forward.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joseph:

If you are interested in investigating a simpler, less expensive system that will significantly minimize body roll/leaning, you may want to consider the Super Steer ride height control valves. They are simply placed in line with the air lines to your air bags and control the rate of air movement in/out of the bags. A number of folks on IRV2 are using these, including myself, and all report excellent results.

Check out the following thread:

Super Steer Motion Control Units
Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
smlranger,
I read the thread that your link took me to. This may be the best kept secret since the paper clip was invented. The only problem is, it is dark now and I can not get under the coach until tomorrow. The sway and overly soft feel of my coach is my biggest dissappointment with the IFS suspension. Now, for the second problem, how do I sleep tonight. I can't wait, this is going to be good,,,,very good. Can you tell, I'm excited.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #24

It's the HWH system, that's all I know. I don't know any particulars of it.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Finished my investigation of the SuperSteer Motion Control for my coach. My coach requires:
1/4" for the front
3/4" for the rear
1/2 to 3/4" adapters for the rear

The RV upgrade price is right at $600.+ shipping. That is much higher than the quick look at the web page $169X2= $338+shipping.

My excitement has gone down a bit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote