Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke View Post
Based on all this input, I think i'll do a little more research before making the decision. I didn't realize that there were several different chassis' and the major problems were isolated. We still have a couple of trips planned in the Damon, so I'm not pushed to make a decision. The stories of brakes locking up and not being able to find parts or service for some of the units was disconcerting. Again, will glean the wealth of knowledge (and opinions) on here and your input has and will be appreciated as to what to look for.
There is TONS of info and opinions in BOTH the Ford and the Workhorse chassis forums here on iRV2.com. Look for them in the "power train garage" section, or just scroll thru the list of forums.

In case this helps....the P32 chassis was carried over from GM when Workhorse bought the business in 1999. P32s have the infamous J71 AAPB, which you've apparently heard horror stories about. WCC introduced the W series in 2001 ( a much improved chassis, including an Allison tranny ) and the P32 was finally discontinued in 2005.

ALL of the W20 / W22 chassis were recalled for faulty Bosch Brake calipers, so you want to make sure that was done. The W-24 has different brakes and was not recalled. IMO, the W-24 is the best chassis they made but you're not likely to find it under a smaller, older coach.

They also made diesel AND gas pusher models, but those were limited productions and you'll not likely find them under small coaches either.

Happy hunting!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
WH - Parts............ :(
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...is-225903.html
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2003 W-22 chassis on a Itasca Suncrusier great ride good floor plan and plenty of power! Easy to service at any truck shop! Plus a oil change is under 60 dollars!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke View Post
We currently have a 1996 36' Damon Ultrasport that has been a great rv for us, but now that the family/grandchildren no longer go with us, we are looking at slightly newer (2001-2005, 30'-34' rvs with a slideout. There are many of these with fairly low miles priced in the low 20's. I am curious about general feeling about the Workhorse chassis and the GM engine. Have always had Fords and was looking forward to having the V-10, but don't want to pass up a nice rv over this if it's not significant. We put about 5k miles a year on the rv, so it's not really heavily used. I do most of my own repairs, when I can. Any concerns I should keep in mind? For that size, should i be looking at a unit with 2 ac's living in the south or will one be sufficient. Actually, rarely use the rig in the middle of the summer anyway. Thanks for any input
I will give you my opinion of the single basement AC unit in my 33' Nat'l Dolphin based on a trip to Texas a few years ago. I had to spend a month in my coach while assisting a family member in July, and the daily temps reached well over 100 degrees. I was never uncomfortable, and had no problems keeping the coach cool. Anytime we travel when the temps are hot, we simply run the genny and use the basement AC, and have the same results.

We live in Colorado, and have absolutely no problems traveling thru the mountains with our coach on the W22 chassis with the 8.1 matched Allison tranny. We recently retired and have started putting more miles on our coach, but before that only put about 3,000 miles per year. We have owned our Dolphin for 9 years, had the brake recall taken care of by the dealer, and have only had to take care of routine maintenance items.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I strongly side with edgray's assessment. The W20/W22/W24-series Workhorse is an rugged and reliable chassis and the 8.1L V8 and Allison tranny is hard to beat. Any you find now should have the brake recall already done (it's been many years now), but always check on that before buying.

In the 20002-2005 time frame, the Workhorse W-series is notably superior to the equivalent sized Ford F53 and Ford scambled to catch up with improvements such as a stiffer frame, 5-speed tranny, larger engine and other features that Workhorse pioneered. Ford succeeded and by around 2006 had achieved parity again.

In the model years you are shopping, I think yo need to give Workhorse a long look. Maybe not your preferred chassis, but definitely a contender.

FWIW, I owned a 2002 Workhorse W22 and enjoyed 50k miles over 5 years before switching to a DP. It had very few problems and even the Bosch brake fiasco caused me few headaches. Mine suffered only minor brake issues and the first Bosch recall fixed all of those with no further problems. Not all WH Wxx chassis had brake nightmares.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
What is the purpose of providing that link in this thread / discussion. That thread is about ONE specific part that is only used on the R26 UFO, which was the least produced chassis ever offered by WCC.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
What is the purpose of providing that link in this thread / discussion. That thread is about ONE specific part that is only used on the R26 UFO, which was the least produced chassis ever offered by WCC.
Sorry edgray..... comment is for any unsuspecting buyer of a WH. So they are Aware there is no WH Support. The one Rver, who now camps with us had No knowledge of the WH issues. The Parking brake issue on his 2002 Itasca has Haunted him since his purchase. He has spent $$$$ and his hours on this issue not counting a damaged motorhome and trailer. If you are a new, unsuspecting buyer, buying any or R26 UFO WH chassis you could be in another world of trouble. My buddy's only saving grace is that he is a diesel truck mechanic and has the means to fix his several WH Troubles.

On the other hand..... I did NOT Address Rumors, The Brakes, Calipers, Ignition problems are ALL factual. My only Point is to let Unsuspecting Buyers know of the WH Potential Difficulties.

Here is a list of some of the recalls......
http://www.workhorseclub.com/index.c...eid=8557&sub=d
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #22

So, is the Workhorse chassis in production? I am seeing some new smaller RVs (C class up to about 26') using the workhorse chassis in 2014... so are they or are they not in production?
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
So, is the Workhorse chassis in production? I am seeing some new smaller RVs (C class up to about 26') using the workhorse chassis in 2014... so are they or are they not in production?
NO SIR! That just isn't possible. WORKHORSE has not produced a MH chassis since 2010. WCC was "mothballed" by Navistar and the assets were later sold to AMP, who has no interest in RVs.

MOST RV chassis are sold by FORD, Mercedes, Dodge, Spartan, & FCCC, in no particular order. Ford makes the only Class A gasser.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #24

Interesting, I guess the class C MH I am seeing are on the "Chevy Van" chassis... not the workhorse chassis... Thanks for the info
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a comment about the Workhorse logo on some new Class C's...mentioned above.

I too have seen this on some Freedom Elite branded Class C's. I cannot link to an ad, because it was in-person at a dealer lot.

They were Chevy 3500 cab/chassis carrying the Freedom Elite brand Class C. Freedom Elite appears to be Camping World spec'd versions from the FourWinds/Chateau line.

The Workhorse fender logo was hard to miss...but is surely just a branding function. The grill still had the Chevy logo as did the steering wheel. My thought was that it must be a licensing agreement with AMP Trucks (not AmpElectric) to set-up the cab/chassis for an RV, like TMC uses MorRyde to set-up Class A Chassis for several models.

Just FWIW...when Ford drops the E-Series as reported over the next few years, Chevy will be the only mfgt making a real full width van cab/chassis. A big deal IMHO, since the Sprinter/Transit/ProMaster are about 10" less in width even on the DRW versions. Many RV makers are already jumping on the Chevy cab/chassis because of Ford's announced drop of the E-Series. And if the Chevy chassis is ever dropped, the gap between Class C and Class A will become even wider.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Interesting, I guess the class C MH I am seeing are on the "Chevy Van" chassis... not the workhorse chassis... Thanks for the info
I don't know which builders may be using Chevy cutaway chassis today, but if they are, it sure isn't a Workhorse.

However, there ARE some class C coaches from years ago that were on a Chevy-built 14,050 GVWR chassis that do have a Workhorse "badge" on the front fenders. Those chassis were sold to the coach builders by the Workhorse sales team during a time when Chevy/GM didn't have anybody calling on the RV industry. Those class c units that were "badged" as Workhorse, but were NOT covered by any Workhorse warranty, and I pretty sure they have a "bowtie" on the steering wheel and front grill. It was simply a marketing arrangement.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Just a comment about the Workhorse logo on some new Class C's...mentioned above.

I too have seen this on some Freedom Elite branded Class C's. I cannot link to an ad, because it was in-person at a dealer lot.

They were Chevy 3500 cab/chassis carrying the Freedom Elite brand Class C. Freedom Elite appears to be Camping World spec'd versions from the FourWinds/Chateau line.

The Workhorse fender logo was hard to miss...but is surely just a branding function. The grill still had the Chevy logo as did the steering wheel. My thought was that it must be a licensing agreement with AMP to set-up the cab/chassis for an RV, like TMC uses MorRyde to set-up Class A Chassis for several models.

Just FWIW...when Ford drops the E-Series as reported over the next few years, Chevy will be the only mfgt making a real full width van cab/chassis. A big deal IMHO, since the Sprinter/Transit/ProMaster are about 10" less in width even on the DRW versions. Many RV makers are already jumping on the Chevy cab/chassis because of Ford's announced drop of the E-Series. And if the Chevy chassis is ever dropped, the gap between Class C and Class A will become even wider.

Safe travels
Are you sure these are NEW units? Like I just posted above, the "Badging" of Chevy products was the result of a marketing arrangement, but that was YEARS ago. I don't know of ANYTHING done using the name of Workhorse since late 2010-early 2011, but I would be interested to learn about anything going on CURRENTLY.
THANKS, Ed
Old 11-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Freedom Elite's I saw (there were 2) were 2014's, and 2014 model year RV's could have been assembled in 2013...

And as we all know the chassis can sit - waiting for their turn on the assembly line, so it is possible these were the last of the Workhorse sold Chevy Cab Chassis(?)

I will keep an eye out for more info.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, workhorse