RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 88
Commercial Drivers licence To Drive A Class A Motor Home?

Just wondering if you need a commercial license to drive a Class A Motor Home if the weight exceeds 26,000 lbs. Will a chauffeurs license do the trick?

Coachmen Joe is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 79
Laws vary by state, but generally a commercial license is only required to operate commercial vehicles.

So, it can and usually does depend on how the vehicle is titled.

RiverBurt is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto , Canada
Posts: 383
If the gross vehicle weight is 26,000 lbs or over most states and areas in Canada require a D License, if you have air brakes than you need a Z rating , this will change by state as well, also your insurance will require the proper Lic as well to cover you
2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710 , 26,000 lbs chassis Ford V-10
tvp is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
Ray,IN's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 15,138
The first word is "Commercial"; this means if you are driving for profit-for remuneration of any kind, a CDL is required. Some states require a "non-commercial drivers license" that has some of the same requirements as a CDL though., like air brakes endorsement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,290
Non-Commercial Class A or Class B depending on STATE Laws pertaining to Drivers Licenses

IOWA does NOT have a Non-Commercial License

Class B Commercial License is required for vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds
(Class D-Chauffeur only up to 26,000#)

2007 Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
FT traveling 2007 - 2014 "Still DEBT Free"
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
Mr_D's Avatar
Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 33,882
Most states do not require a special license, a few do. WA State does not.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
momdoc's Avatar
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 4,671
IN Florida RVs are exempt from needing a commercial or special license.
2018 Tiffin Allegro RED 37PA
2016 Veloster Toad
momdoc is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
Winemaker2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,989
Many states gave special license reqmts see
For facts vs opinions and generalities. Bottom line only thing important I a the state where you live.
Even these websites have errors so best tp check your home state DMV reqmts.
Don & Marge
'13 Newmar Ventana 3433 - '14 CR-V TOAD
'03 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y - SOLD
Winemaker2 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
Domo's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Desert Hot Springs, CA
Posts: 380
Here's a listing of states that do, that don't, that require something different...

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with flat tow wiring mod.
Blue ox - Brakemaster
Domo is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rendon, Texas
Posts: 365
Check the laws in your state for info about what is needed.
May your smiles be many and the miles be plenty.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #11
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 88
So what happens when you have a coach in excess of 26,000 lbs and a standard drivers license? I'd rather be safe than sorry. Being bored this winter I opted to drive school bus. I went down took the tests needed and can drive anything now but a semi. So, my motor home weight fears are over now since I can drive wit weights above 26,000 lbs
Coachmen Joe is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior Member
Lt Dan's Avatar

Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,609
Originally Posted by Coachmen Joe View Post
So what happens when you have a coach in excess of 26,000 lbs and a standard drivers license? I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I'm glad you went ahead and got your license upgraded, you won't regret it. To answer your question, if your state requires a special license for vehicles over 26,000 lbs and you are involved in an accident your insurance company can refuse to cover it since you are not legally operating the vehicle. Technically, you would be an unlicensed driver.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 19,381
So what happens when you have a coach in excess of 26,000 lbs and a standard drivers license?
Assuming we are talking only non-commercial driving: If you obtained your driving license in a state such as Florida or Washington, nothing. If you are licensed in a state such as PA or MD, you are driving illegally because they require a higher class license for that. All 50 states recognize each others driving licenses, so as long as your license is legal for your vehicle class in your home state, you are golden.
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #14
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,008
So we're going to discuss CDL's again?

To Coachman Joe - you NEVER need a CDL of any class to ever drive a motorhome as a private person. CDL's are for people getting paid to drive, hence the name Commercial Driver's License. I'm paid to drive motorhomes so I have a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement. With that CDL comes keeping driver logs, HOS regs, DOT medical exams, all sorts of federal regulations, and the dreaded traffic stop by state troopers to inspect you and your rig. Oh, and if you get a traffic ticket you are not allowed to go to driving school - either fight it or pay it.

EDIT- I just read that you already have a CDL so you should have known the answer to your original question.

V3600 is offline  
Closed Thread

class a, driver

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Training to get Maryland Class B Non-Commercial Drivers License flyboy013 Class A Motorhome Discussions 34 12-05-2018 06:36 AM
Special Non Commercial Class A Licence for Pennsylvania SteveA1220 Just Conversation 18 07-21-2018 12:24 AM
Calif. Non Commercial Class B Drivers License LJowdy Newmar Owner's Forum 70 03-01-2017 04:45 PM
CDL Requirements(commercial drivers licence) JBP Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 15 09-27-2016 06:01 PM
Non Commercial Class D drivers license Japper Dan Newmar Owner's Forum 5 12-12-2015 03:12 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.