Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Commercial license

Hello e1, a bit new to air brake, I live in AZ, and do i need to have comercial license to drive a 36' DP mh, hopefully not lol. Thx

Elmer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elang View Post
Hello e1, a bit new to air brake, I live in AZ, and do i need to have comercial license to drive a 36' DP mh, hopefully not lol. Thx

Elmer
I'm sure some AZ people will chime in here anytime, but a basic answer is No to a CDL.. That is like it says for commercial vehicles ... Your state might require a lower license for air brake equipped vehicles. Call the local state police office. I bet they would be glad to answer that for you, then there is no doubt in your mind,,, or finding out the hard way from an officer having a bad day.... (I'm a user of a CDL)

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to the linked AZ handbook - Having Air Brakes does not require you to get a CDL in your state, unless you have a GVWR over 26,000.

http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub...ormInfoKey=567

See page 9.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No state requires a CDL for personal use. Your state may require a different class od license for air brakes or weight, but not a CDL.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
No state requires a CDL for personal use. Your state may require a different class od license for air brakes or weight, but not a CDL.
This does not seem to be totally correct - for Arizona, according to the MVD guidelines linked here...looks that Arizona don't have a heavy weight (26,001lb GVWR or towing over 10,000lb) license that is non-commercial - so they required a CDL for the B-I-G RV's.

See classes of licenses here:
Motor Vehicle Division

And the flow chart on page 9 of the MVD CDL handbook has the exact same requirements...theres' no mention of an exception for not-driving-for-hire.

Interesting...

Where are our 'Zonies? Are you all here at the beach in SoCal to escape the heat?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This does not seem to be totally correct - for Arizona, according to the MVD guidelines linked here...looks that Arizona don't have a heavy weight (26,001lb GVWR or towing over 10,000lb) license that is non-commercial - so they required a CDL for the B-I-G RV's.

See classes of licenses here:
Motor Vehicle Division

And the flow chart on page 9 of the MVD CDL handbook has the exact same requirements...theres' no mention of an exception for not-driving-for-hire.

Interesting...

Where are our 'Zonies? Are you all here at the beach in SoCal to escape the heat?
CORRECTION>>>
I just found this on-line...
Format Document

They did an "Arizona Revised Statute" ARS 28-3102 to exempt RV's from CDL requirements...but they didn't put the exception into the MVD handbook

So, with a Class "D" Operators license in Arizona you can drive ANYTHING that fits on the road - as long as you call it an RV
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Well, it has to be registered as a RV.

As you discovered, many states have difficult to understand licensing requirements and there is RV exempt from CDL wording somewhere. Sometimes it's hard to find.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

As an individual who holds a CDL, IMHO there is a lot learned in a CDL course that is relevant to driving an RV. Air brake operation is one such key topic. I cannot understand how a state can require special certification for air brake operation on a CDL but then go ahead and exempt drivers of RVs. Well, I can understand it--they were lobbied by the RV industry otherwise sales would plummet.

For your own safety and that of others it is important that you know how to drive your vehicle in all situations. Even if you don't have to get a CDL or a non-commercial equivalent in your state, I highly suggest that you at least obtain a copy of the CDL licensing booklet and read the material. There you might learn little things like why pumping the brakes on an air-braked vehicle is exactly the wrong thing to do. I'm not saying that reading the book is the same as getting the CDL, but even a little bit of knowledge might save your life someday.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As an individual who holds a CDL, IMHO there is a lot learned in a CDL course that is relevant to driving an RV. Air brake operation is one such key topic. I cannot understand how a state can require special certification for air brake operation on a CDL but then go ahead and exempt drivers of RVs. Well, I can understand it--they were lobbied by the RV industry otherwise sales would plummet.

For your own safety and that of others it is important that you know how to drive your vehicle in all situations. Even if you don't have to get a CDL or a non-commercial equivalent in your state, I highly suggest that you at least obtain a copy of the CDL licensing booklet and read the material. There you might learn little things like why pumping the brakes on an air-braked vehicle is exactly the wrong thing to do. I'm not saying that reading the book is the same as getting the CDL, but even a little bit of knowledge might save your life someday.
X2!!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
In the state of NC if your GVWR exceeds 26,001 lbs. you are required to get a class B non -commercial liscense. I studied for the test, same test for CDL liscense except no cargo but haz mat, air brakes etc. I don't believe even troopers in NC were aware of this requirement but it's on the books and in the case of an accident If one doesn't possess this class B liscense you would have a major problem! Bottom line moved to FL no requirement, no personal property tax, on a MH it was in excess of 2 K plus on and on. I agree the study enlightened my thought process for driving a large MH, so i agree on knowledge, it Is a terrific asset for RV'ers.