Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Commerical Truck/RV Wash

Last week - I had my diesel pusher motor coach washed at a commercial truck wash. The experience was about what I expected ... a couple of large wash bays ... a wash job that included a decent "hand" scrubbing by 2 or 3 attendants armed with long handled brushes - followed by a thorough rinse using a pressure wash system with the pressure dialed back a hair. All in all, the results were satisfactory - and at what struck me as being a reasonable price ($65 for a coach that's nominally 43 feet in length).

While I was waiting for my turn in the wash bay - I watched 3-4 large semi trucks being washed. Every one of them opened their engine compartment - and with engines running - had the truck wash hose down the engine and the engine compartment. When I asked about it - I was told the engine wash is an "added fee" service which uses some additional chemicals that aren't used as part of the "standard wash" service.

This is the first vehicle with a diesel engine that I've ever owned. I've NEVER considered hosing down the gas engines I've owned.

My question to the diesel pusher owners of the forum is this: Do any of you have experience with having your engine washed in this fashion? Did you experience any problems having your coach engine exposed to direct water in this fashion?

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I've never had our engine hosed down. Frankly, it never even occurred to me. \ken

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Washing with a hose IMO, is OK, but never a pressure washer. The ECM and TCM are not designed to withstand that kind of water pressure. In fact, mine has a large decal on the ECM stating in large letters (DO NOT EXPOSE TO HIGH PRESSURE WATER)
Another reason not to run/spray water on a running engine, hot exhaust manifolds do not like cold water, they can easily crack.
I do wash my engine-when it is at air temperature, and after covering the alternator, ECM and TCM with kitchen plastic-wrap. That reminds me, haven't done it this year. I use the foaming engine cleaner and water hose.

When I use a truck wash, I use http://www.bluebeacon.com/RVMotorCoa...ng/RVBenefits/
They never wash my engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I worked in the underground mining industry, very harsh working environment. Pressure washing the entire piece of equipment including the engine was standard operating procedure. This was the only way to get the equipment clean. All the wiring harnesses were designed for this type of washing and didn't have a lot of problems.

That being said I have not used a water hose on the top part of my engine. I have used engine cleaner and hose on the bottom half to get the accumulated oil off from the slobber tube.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carefully rinse my engine down annually with simple green HD and a garden hose, as I'm cleaning my rear radiator. I say carefully, as I do my best to leave the electronics untouched. I would personally never use a pressure washer.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Jayco Owners Club
Injectors can be damaged on some gasoline engines if washed hot. A little Simple Green sprayed on when cold and rinsed is all I'll ever do for any of mine... avoiding the electronics of course.
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
I do a wash down each time I have the engine compartment opened from the inside. A hand sprayer or pressure washer with simple green or Dawn/water mix and then a water rinse. This is our third diesel pusher and I've done this with each without a problem I use a 2000 psi pressure washer or a garden hose.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Last month, we ran into a lot of rain while in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. By the time we got home the engine compartment, fender wells, jack pads and rims were pretty nasty. I like using the ZEP 509 (their version of 409) and sprayed down the engine compartment. Mine is new, so power washing wasn't necessary, so I used a garden hose with a spray head. It came out nice and clean. Whenever I wash any engine, I always let it warm up so that water dries up and doesn't stay in places it shouldn't.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
Hello being a Diesel Mechanic for 50 years I worked on all types for hwy and off hwy diesel engines I own a 42 foot M/H with a cat engine and every chance I get to pressure wash my engine I do I don't spend a lot of time where the electric wiring goes by the rest of it I let fly I wash every place I can as will I do the battery compart. The wiring today is very well protected with water prove ends I just try not to hold the pressure nozzel on them for long periods of time but I do a good job it help with dust and dirt and oil I also give the rad a gently spray.A clean engine runs better and you can spot any minor problems before they become major problems.
2005 Beaver Patroit Thunder 42' Vicksburg Quid Slide.
Diesel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Neighbor once washed a hot diesel tractor while running. Cold water on hot injection pump caused it to seize. Nothing a new pump couldn't fix.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have hosed down a gas engine in a car or two when needed but it is not something you take lightly.. Some car washes use warm or hot water (the hotter the better for this job) and you want an engine that is as cold as possible to prevent cracking of vital parts.

Gas engines.. the ignition system is not a friend of water. Nor of you if you hit it wrong.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #12
Over more years than I care to admit to I have washed engines, and complete undercarriages countless times. Tractors, backhoes, dozers, excavators, cars, trucks, atvs, motorhomes, buses, etc, etc, It's mostly just good common sense. I never used a "pressure washer" but mostly siphon guns with various solvents (stoddard most often) and a usually water rinse. Most of the time the engines were idling. One guy I knew swore on using an STP rinse because he thought it was waterproofing and helped all the rubber stuff but then he had deep pockets, it wasn't cheap.

BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote