Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

Commode runs over after flush

Our class A has a SeaLand Traveler commode. On at least 5 occasions over the past 8 years it has overflowed after flushing- water continues to slowly flow into the commode bowl and it overflows onto the floor.

We are extended travel folks and are typically out for 2 to 5 months at a time. The water flush valve does not leak into the commode except on these rare occasions. We try to watch and confirm that the water has stopped flowing into the commode after each use but sometimes I fail.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, how did you repair.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAIL1 View Post
Our class A has a SeaLand Traveler commode. On at least 5 occasions over the past 8 years it has overflowed after flushing- water continues to slowly flow into the commode bowl and it overflows onto the floor.

We are extended travel folks and are typically out for 2 to 5 months at a time. The water flush valve does not leak into the commode except on these rare occasions. We try to watch and confirm that the water has stopped flowing into the commode after each use but sometimes I fail.

My Thetford would (will) occasionally do that because I wasn't paying attention to water pressure at the parks I stayed at. If the pressure was just a little too high, the flush valve wouldn't close all the way and trickle so slowly that is was almost (almost) unnoticeable. I know nothing about SeaLand commodes, but submit this in hopes of helping/providing ideas. My problem might be related to the flush valve spring getting tired - putting the regulator on the park hose bib is easier than changing the flush valve spring.

stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks, we use a pressure regulator on the water supply always. Don't think that is the problem.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replace the value at the side of the commode, that is what fixed the trickle on ours. Also, make sure the stop on the valve is set so it closes completly

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAIL1 View Post

We had a similar problem but I caught it before the bowl was full. DW likes to use those smelly things and one got caught under the flush valve. Anything interfering with the return of the valve is going to be a problem.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
Replace the value at the side of the commode, that is what fixed the trickle on ours. Also, make sure the stop on the valve is set so it closes completly

Item 10 on the following diagram/list
Easy-Peasy

Traveler Toilet Parts - 511, 511+ 911 and 2011 - Environmental Marine Services, Inc.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Are you sure you don't have a slight clog in your pipe going to your tank?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Yes, I am sure. It does not run over when flushing. It runs over because the valve sticks open after flushing and I don't catch it . The commode is full of clear water when it runs over.

I changed the valve today so hopefully that will solve the problem.

I really believe something is causing the valve to stick in the slightly open position. Like mentioned in a former post above.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

We have tbe Dometic Traveler Lite. We had the same problem 3 times. Does yours have the brass nut at the bottom of the valve? On ours, the nut had loosened so the spring was not fully closing the valve. I tightened it snug and have had no problems since.