Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

? Comparing Extended Warranties AGWS vs Protective (ExtraRide) vs Good Sam

My current Protective (ExtraRide) warranty is set to expire soon and am looking at options for renewing. I have had great experiences with my ExtraRide warranty over the last 8 years but the AGWS warranty is alittle cheaper plus I can divide the payments over 18 months. I checked into Good Sam but that doesn't impress me.

I'm looking for personal experiences with either of these 3 companies. I know I could just "Bank" the premiums and gamble for the next 3 years but that's not going to happen. I like having an extended warranty because they have more then paid for themselves over the years.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with these 3 companies?

Thanks for any help and guidance.
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #2

Good Sam changed their age limit from 18 to 16 last year. They refunded last years premium in full because they had my MH listed as a 2002 instead of 2000, and when I pointed it out I was told of the new age limit, since I had no claims that year I got the full refund.
Camping World changed their age limit to 7 years from 18 three years ago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpusher View Post
My current Protective (ExtraRide) warranty is set to expire soon and am looking at options for renewing. I have had great experiences with my ExtraRide warranty over the last 8 years but the AGWS warranty is alittle cheaper plus I can divide the payments over 18 months. I checked into Good Sam but that doesn't impress me.

I'm looking for personal experiences with either of these 3 companies. I know I could just "Bank" the premiums and gamble for the next 3 years but that's not going to happen. I like having an extended warranty because they have more then paid for themselves over the years.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with these 3 companies?

Thanks for any help and guidance.
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with your question because I also have Protective and I have been very pleased with their service. Having said that, I do have a question for you.

You mentioned you have had Protective for eight years. My policy is only good for five years. Did you renew your policy after five years or were you able to purchase the policy new for eight years? If you were able to renew, how did you do it?

Thanks!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #4

I am shopping around and so far and after checking BBB site, forums I have come to the conclusion they are all scammers out for my hard earned cash

I will say they are a necessary evil unless you are able to do your own repairs. With shop labor rates of $100-$200/hr depending on where you take it spending around 1k-2k a year doesn't seem that bad .

So Far i am leaning towards coachnet for a exclusionary with consequencial. But AGWS also is a close 2nd. Good Sams I ruled out as its more of an insurance where claims can hurt your standing with them. Also heard they will use aftermarket parts rather then factory but haven't confirmed this yet.

Cornerstone is way overpriced and wholesale is very pricy almost double the cost of AGWS and Coachnet.

Good luck and always ask to see a contract as the devil is in the details[emoji48]
RGRoadTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:01 AM   #5

I had Xtraride and was pleased. This is coming from a person who normally does not think warranties are worth it.
I can understand why you are also satisfied with them. Their process is simple. You get the work done by who you want. Get it approved first and they take care of the rest.
So, you purchased something, you are happy with it, now it's time to renew and you are looking for a cheaper option?
When it comes to warranties on RVs and you found a good company you stick with it.
You get what you pay for. IMO you are off your rocker thinking a cheaper option will compare to the quality company you are currently with.
That said, I would not get a warranty as I understand RVs now and can fix all but the most difficult things.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with your question because I also have Protective and I have been very pleased with their service. Having said that, I do have a question for you.

You mentioned you have had Protective for eight years. My policy is only good for five years. Did you renew your policy after five years or were you able to purchase the policy new for eight years? If you were able to renew, how did you do it?

Thanks!
We purchased the MH when it was 2 years old and the original owner purchased a 7 year plan when he bought the MH. The warranty was transferred to me and when it expired I called and called to try and find a company that sold the warranty. You cannot purchase it direct from Protective. At the time, I could not find one locally but it was easy to purchase it over the phone from a non-local company so I got another policy for 3 years. The only catch is that you cannot let your current policy expire before you purchase a new one or you will have to get your MH inspected prior to them issuing a new policy.

So the MH has had an extended warranty for 10 years but I've only had experience with 8 years. One thing I have noticed is that the prices for the policy varies greatly between dealers so I'm going to try and negotiate a lower price with a local dealer if I go with Protective. Getting service at the dealer where you purchase your warranty means that you only have to pay half the deductible.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 AM   #7

IMHO Do not even consider AGWS. I Paid over 6000 got their silver pkg.. So far they have denied claims for my AC, engine failure, and inverter. To date I have paid over 25,000 in repairs for items that are listed in the contract and should have been covered. Their initial response to any claim is to deny, then negotiate.Like I said IMHO it is my recommendation that you consider anybody but AGWS.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
. . . . So, you purchased something, you are happy with it, now it's time to renew and you are looking for a cheaper option?
When it comes to warranties on RVs and you found a good company you stick with it.
You get what you pay for. IMO you are off your rocker thinking a cheaper option will compare to the quality company you are currently with.
That said, I would not get a warranty as I understand RVs now and can fix all but the most difficult things.
Yep, you could be right, I might be off my rocker. BUT I'm cautious with my funds and if there is a comparable option available that is less expensive, then I need to do my homework. There are good, bad and ugly choices out there and that is why I asked for opinions.

Understanding how to fix RV problems is great but you do still have to pay for those fixes. It's those "difficult things" that one normally plans for ahead of time and gets a warranty for. Our Norcold recently died and yes we could have done alot of the replacement ourselves except for the gas hookup. BUT that knowledge would not have paid for a Norcold replacement refrigerator of ~$3000.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
IMHO Do not even consider AGWS. I Paid over 6000 got their silver pkg.. So far they have denied claims for my AC, engine failure, and inverter. To date I have paid over 25,000 in repairs for items that are listed in the contract and should have been covered. Their initial response to any claim is to deny, then negotiate.Like I said IMHO it is my recommendation that you consider anybody but AGWS.
Thank you so much. This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with them.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used to sell insurance. Remember all insurance companies are out to make a profit. That being said, at this point in my life and considering the cost of some possible repairs, we now have Good Sam coverage on ours.

It just paid $2000 for a slide out repair last month. We also have the 3k Norcold refer that has been in class action lawsuits. We also have the leaking windshield problem common to WGO. Some have reported $1000 plus to fix that. I did repair that myself not wishing to have another claim for something I could fix. With the cost of repairs these days and my inability to fix everything like I used to, especially when traveling, we have opted for the warranty and so far would recommend Good Sam.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

I switched from Good Sam Extended Warranty to "Wholesale Warranty" after Good Sam increased their premium nearly $800.00

Wholesale Warranty offered more comprehensive coverage for less cost and covered the things that are normally not covered. They will even pay for a mobile RV tech service provided you pay the initial service call fee.

They are backed by American Bankers Insurance Group.

I typically fix most things that happen myself, but carry the policy to cover large cost in the event of an engine or drivetrain issue. Therefore, I carry a higher deductible.

Like all insurance, your decision to carry it or not depends on your individual risk tolerance and budget.
Toribk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
I recently purchased our first motorhome. It's just a smaller class c. I also bought the AGWS platinum plan. But ours only cost $4900.00 for six years, I assume because of the smaller purchase price of our rv.
I am now concerned after reading your post. If you don't mind saying, what were their reasons for denial? I have read reviews on this company that were really good. But like I said I am now worried should I need to make a claim.
Fjcjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 AM   #13

Fjcjmc,

The majority of claims that are disputed or denied are because A. It's not a covered item if you read the contract carefully or B. You initiate a claim without complying with the policies and procedures of your insurer.

Most, if not all, insurers require you to call them first BEFORE authorizing any repairs or services regarding a covered expense. Unless you have extenuating circumstances, and are able to document it, that would otherwise prohibit you to do so, this is the most important thing to remember.

I always like to start my conversation with my extended warranty with a question. "Hello, my slide-out made a loud noise when I retracted it and now it won't extend (true story)." In accordance to your policies and procedures, how to I proceed with a claim from here"?

In all three cases where I have filed a claim, I have never had any issues getting a repair done following my initial phone call. In some instances, the insurer has contractual agreements with certain towing companies, repair facilities, parts distributors and the like that they use if they can because of their willingness to work with them on cost and reimbursement issues.

Make sure you read your policy THOROUGHLY.....line by line. If it is not clear whether a specific item is covered, have it written in the policy before you sign it. In my case, there was nothing in the policy regarding the Charge Air Cooler (diesel pusher) and they said it was covered under the radiator. I was not happy with that response so I had them add an addendum addressing the CAC specifically.

Anyhow, my best advice is understand the limits of your policy and always contact your insurer first before taking any action.
Toribk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 AM   #14

Toribk
I agree it is important to carefully read the warranty and follow the procedure for filing a claim.

In my case I did exactly that. When my AC needed repairs I called and followed their directions. After getting the unit repaired they denied the claim as they said "basement" AC wasn't covered. This is after telling me it was.
As for my major engine repair, we had a three way conversation between myself,AGWS, and the authorized Cummins repair facility. They approved tearing the engine down and repairing. Then they claimed I had not followed the recommended oil changes etc. After provided proof of all maintenance as required by Cummins they still denied the claim. Initially it was because their adjuster hadn't inspected the failed parts. The MH. Was in the shop for over three weeks and the repair shop held the parts for the next two weeks before some of them had to be returned for core credits. Then they denied the claim saying the shop hadn't followed the proper procedure for filing the claim. Bottom line, they didn't want to pay, my attorney advised that their contract was written to provide them multiple opportunities to deny claims. When our air dryer failed it was an emergency roadside repair. Again called asked for a recommended repair facility in the area, told get it repaired and call with cost, answer denied as we "didn't follow procedure for repairs".
My experience with AGWS is they will cover minor repairs but if you have a major claim be ready to fight to get it covered, document all calls, get names etc and if possible record conversations.
Even my selling dealer was appalled at their actions and got involved to no avail.
As I said, my experience is leads my to recommend others look at anybody but AGWS.