Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #1

GETTING READY TO BUY ONE OF THE TWO THIS WEEK.
ANY OPINIONS? THE WINNEBAGO IS A WORKHORSE VORTEC ENGINE. WE LIKE THE LAYOUT AND THE DEALER.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #2

GETTING READY TO BUY ONE OF THE TWO THIS WEEK.
ANY OPINIONS? THE WINNEBAGO IS A WORKHORSE VORTEC ENGINE. WE LIKE THE LAYOUT AND THE DEALER.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Mike & Judy, there is a lot of difference between the two units mentioned, first and probably foremost is the initial cost and maintenance of a diesel unit over a gas coach. My best advice is to study the units closely in both appearance and mechanical components, get under and around the coach, take drawers out, look at the construction details and methods used to route wiring. Drive the units; preferably more than just the short "test drive"ť most dealers are willing to give, look or a variety of road conditions. The selling dealer is the number 1 after the sale condition, if you scour the threads on this and other RV sites you will see many sad stories related to poor dealer support and possibly lack of manufacturer support. If you haven't been looking and investigating RV's for at least 6 Mo to a year, keep looking and kicking the tires, the investment is just too big to make snap decisions.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #4

Mike and Judy,Welcome to irv2, My opinion is if your not going to spend alot of time traveling its hard to justify the monoco, we are very happy with our winnebago and we get out at least 10 times a year for long weeekends and the family vacation 7 days +-. and as far as towing goes i was suprised on how well the 8.1 with the alison trans pulls our coach and our colorado. good luck with what ever you choose.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard. The gas Winnie and the diesel Monaco are two entirely different coaches. Like noted above,if you do not intend to travel a lot, the Winnie will serve you well.

If this is your first Moho, I;d suggest you try finding a nice used coach, 3 to 5 years old and save a lot of cash. The depreciation on RV is horrible. If you make a good deal on a used coach, you can drive it for several years and sell it for not a lot less than you paid for it. A new unit will drop in value like a rock.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #6

Which gas model and which diesel model. The range is huge from the bottom of one to the top of the other.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Depending on the Winnie dealer you're talking about,I may see ya there.
Picking up my new Vectra the first week in January.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #8

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
How did you choose that model? What type of power does it have?
Judy
Old 12-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #9

The Winnebego 38t new floor plan Adventurer is one we are considering with the Workorse GM motor. Not sure yet if it is 200 or 2400 version.
The other is the Monoco diesel for more money , of course. The length is 40 ft. We are buying this week and these happen to be in stock now.
Judy
Old 12-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Mike & Judy, check your P/M, I replied earlier today.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know what model of Monaco your looking at, but you will do yourself well, if your going to be a long time MotorHomer, to make the move to the diesel now rather then later and have to shell out more money then. Before you jump into this project, take your time and do a real close comparison of each coach, and I do mean close comparison. Look at all the little stuff as well as the big. I think you'll find the Monaco will inch it's way ahead of the Winnebago and hold a good lead over all. Of course it's going to depend on which model your looking at and that's going to effect the cost also.

Your in a great position right now, because there are thousands of like new coaches for sale right now, that have extremely low miles and have been loaded with great options. These high fuel prices have scared a lot of people away and the deals are wide open. Don't make a mistake and jump into a deal just because that's all they had in stock, you'll be short changing yourself if you do.

It's your money, get the biggest bang for your buck.

radarr
"God Bless America"

edited: proof read
Old 12-28-2005, 03:41 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Having made the jump last year from an '03 Winnebago Adventurer to a '05 Holiday Rambler (Monaco) Ambassador DP, I'd like to weigh in on this topic. Some things to consider:
1. How you will use it is primary. ie: local or long distance, Eastern states vs Western states, large tow vehicle vs none or small, you get the idea....
2. How long you will keep it. Diesels will retain a larger percentage of their value longer (at this time, anyway)
3. Currently fuel economy is not important as a gasser in this size range will be more economical than diesel due to the temporary disparity in fuel prices (where I am, diesel is .45/gal higher than gas)

As far as a Winnie VS a Monaco; my opinion is that the quality is very similar with the edge to the Winnebago. This will vary from coach to coach as each one I have owned has had it's own set of different bugs. MH's are extremely complex and I can't imagine buying one that didn't give "some" trouble to the new owner.
I will venture to opine, that the ergonomics of the Winnebago, ie: light switch locations & sizes, utility connections, etc. are more logical and easier to use than the Monaco line.

But as was said before.....this is a research project. Don't rush into this or you may be paying later. Ultimately though, it all boils down to individual tastes and needs.

Good luck and best wishes on your upcoming purchase.

Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #13

I remember when I purchased my first Motorhome, a Winnebago Adventurer, my thoughts were that I really wanted a diesel rig and would start out cheap just in case I didn't like it. Since that time I have realized a major mistake on my part, I should have went with the diesel rig. My Adventurer has depreciated so rapidly that I am unable or unwilling to take such a beating to upgrade to what I really wanted. The depreciation will out run your loan value and I will not consider going upside down just to trade. Just wish I had used our rv forums before I made my initial purchase and I would have known that it will take many years before I can upgrade. My Adventurer has been flawless and performs like a champ, but would have liked something bigger and air ride suspension. I wish that I had gone with a two or three year old upper level diesel rig. The initial depreciation would already have been paid by someone else. Good luck!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #14

Like R Gordon I too bought a nice gasser (2004 Allegro Bay 37DB) on a WH chassis instead of a diesel- which was a mistake. The noise from the engine, noisy and rough leaf-spring ride, limited cargo and towing capacity, and poor handling made my ownership experience unfavorable at best. Between all this and the myriad problems the coach kept having I was at the point that I hated driving the thing- so I took the hit financially and traded up, and I couldn't be more pleased.

My opinion is- regardless of how many miles you'll drive it each year, or what your going to tow, maintenance costs, fuel costs, or whatever else- test drive both at length before deciding. If you like the way the diesel handles- buy it now and save yourself the financial hit of upgrading later.

While both of the coaches you're considering are fine machines, the decision for me would be a no-brainer- Monaco DP all the way. Experience has tought me that even if I only drive mine for one weekend a month, the extra cost associated with a diesel coach is worth it for the comfort, convenience, and safety afforded by the DP chassis.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote