Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #15

I would like to add if you are going to use that RV in the southern states look for one with two AC,s a must have,one AC wouldn’t cut it down here to hot.One with opposing slides will give you room to watch tv in comfort with whatever fur children you have with you.
chef 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner View Post
hi

if you buy the older coach, will that restrict which camp grounds you can go in, some have a 10 year old limit ( i am told )
We travel across country every summer and I am asked How old the Motorhome is about 20% of the time. And I have heard the 10 year rule as well.

Btw I will second the 2 a/c units !!!!! Even if you can get by on one it sure is nice to have a spare. This year we were on our last stop in Sunny Amarillo Texas. Rear a/c went out. Wow so glad I had the front one to get us home.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #17

Check out*RV.org. They rate RVs and have information on the selection and dealing process. Good RV hunting.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
2 things very important to us.
We want drivers side kitchen so our dinette is on our camp side, not the neighbors.
Windows, we want to see outside, not be in a cave.
Residential fridge, king bed, Aqua hot....
Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #19

Pay attention to the length to wheelbase ratio. There’s plenty written about it. We had a 2903 Baystar which was a great coach in most respects, but the short wheelbase kept the driver in their toes.

Good insulation, big tanks, double pane windows are all on our must have list.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #20

It seems most campgrounds with a 10 year rule will make exceptions if the coach is in good cosmetic condition, though you may be required to send a photo of the coach and request an exception, .... While there are a few that strictly enforce such rules, most people here report never having such an issue.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It seems most campgrounds with a 10 year rule will make exceptions if the coach is in good cosmetic condition, though you may be required to send a photo of the coach and request an exception, .... While there are a few that strictly enforce such rules, most people here report never having such an issue.
Our coach is 16 years young..and Yes we have been turned away twice due to age ... not the condition..NOT A PROBLEM!
Their business..Their Rules...

There were other campgrounds nearby (more room and for less $$ )

I see no reason to spend a million five plus on a replacement when this one isn't wore out yet...(mebbe when it reaches 20% of new price... then again...mebbe not ?)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
2 things very important to us.
We want drivers side kitchen so our dinette is on our camp side, not the neighbors.
This is a good idea but seems like it’d be like finding a unicorn.

Again, lots of great advice...Watch wheelbase, 2 ACs, etc.

This 10 yr thing seems bogus. What is the purpose for it? To weed out the perceived “riff raff” to me, no? There are a few older units for sale mins from me that look immaculate and clearly are owned by folks who care about things they own but not sure I want to deal with this hoa mentality, justifying why I should be allowed in. Even if it’s 20% of the time.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
1. Floor plan
2. Floor plan
3. Floor plan
4. It doesn't really matter because you aren't going to know what you really want until the third motorhome. Lucky if then.
Agreed we just bought our 3rd MH. We have progressively moved from a Class C to gasser Class A to a DP. One thing that we found as we shopped just recently is their are a lot of people in your same situation that jumped into a rig and then found out the floor plan, length or driving comfort didn't fit their needs. We prefer used, you can get a lot of rig and comfort for the money you have budgeted, however will it get you to the places you want to be. Good luck, take your time and enjoy the journey.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #24

Since this is your first unit I would say the best coach for 80K is a 40K coach. Seriously, the learning curve is a bit large.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Agreed. I will say one of the coolest coaches we have seen on our travels was in a park with a "10 year rule" It was a vintage "Tour Bus" (now owned and restored by an Individual ) parked right beside us. It was formerly a Rental tour bus in Nashville !!!
In fact we left 30 min before him and he ended up passing us on the highway...Wow what a rig !!!!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Itasca Suncruiser 32H would be my recommendation. Look for 2012ish when they still have the good slides, 22.5 wheels and went back to roof top A/C's. The are about $80K and have a good cargo weight rating.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
Since this is your first unit I would say the best coach for 80K is a 40K coach. Seriously, the learning curve is a bit large.
I’m guessing this is good advice cause it’s my main concern. In some ways I really feel like starting with a used smallish 5er and seeing where it takes us. I have the truck already and have been around trailering boats for many years so I’m not starting completely blind.

My dad and Mom did the RV thing and have had every type. His advice is a 5er and has some good (to me) reasons why.

Class A just seems to be a better way to move....
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #28

What hasn't been addressed is whether you plan to tow a car 4 down or on a dolly. Do you have a towable car? You have to plan for that and see how it impacts your budget. From what we saw in our search, you have to get 2012 or so newer to have televisions that are mounted on a wall and at good height for viewing from couch or chair. Prior to that, they are typically mounted up on the area above the driver/passenger seat.
If you already have a good 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up, and don't have a problem keeping the truck on your property, it may be a better way to go. We moved up to a class A because our garage was awfully crowded with a Tundra and our Subaru and we wanted more more room than our 27' trailer had. And, we would have needed a different truck to go to a fifth wheel trailer of the size we would want. With your budget, you could get a really nice slightly used fifth wheel and have more room than in a 29' to 34' motorhome. And...if you already have the truck...at a lot less cost!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbies