Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have skills to do what you are doing both mechanical, electrical and furniture building etc, but at 70 no I don't want to start a project like this. Were I 25 years old you bet.

I've read or skimmed over all the posts on this thread and this subject was not brought up. We owned three TT's and three MH's. Our first two were MH's then the TT's. I never realized just how cheaply TT's are built until we bought our first one. MOST have no shocks, no self adjusting brakes, most brakes are drum not disc, the frames are very thin to save weight. Thin frames translate into a lot of flexing as it is driven down the road. No shocks means more internal shaking. Air Stream TT's are said to be some of the best driving TT's. They are aero dynamic and all have shocks. All TT's (and I mean ALL) are built on the edge of destruction. The axles and tires are just barely able to handle the maximum weight that they are designed to carry. Find one TT that has axles which can carry 1,000 lbs more than the max. Our last TT maxed out at 7,000 lbs and it had two 3,000 axles to carry the weight. What's wrong with that picture???? Need I say more.

Some TT's are decent inside but most builders use the eye candy so you won't see how poorly they are constructed. Yes you will get more for your $$$$ in a TT but most are junk. If you found one 20 years old yes you might find some quality.

After three TT's we went back to a MH. We now have a 2014 WBGO. I liked the idea of steel frame and foam insulation. It increases the structural strength of the side walls. If you can find an older unit built somewhat like that with 15-20 years it might be in better shape.

Best of luck with your project

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi An1...my son is in the same boat as you and I have discouraged him from a MH. (And I own one) The problem is, he could end up anywhere in the country or even Europe. I suggested the Tiny House because it was mobile and the insulation and heating is more like a S&B house. Right now he will be in the Appalachians for the next couple of years. The thought of living a couple winters in a MH in the mountains is not appealing. Not to mention what it will do to the systems in the MH. Most people store/winterize their MHs for the winter months. Unless you are sure you will be in temperate climates, not sure a MH is the way to go. If he leaves the country, I could store the Tiny House (on a trailer) in my backyard. I've also seen where people once they move out of their Tiny Houses then convert them into a guest house or office at their S&B home. Very interesting concept! Lots of good suggestions and options!! The world is your oyster!! Good luck with your search and choice!!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't have any pictures but I've seen a couple of truck chassis and flatbeds with a towable trailer placed on the back of the truck with the suspension and wheels removed. Instant RV. You can buy a towable pretty cheaply and look around for a good truck frame and go to town. You can google "redneck motorhomes" for some ideas.
Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #32

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
I am living in a "nice" 5th wheel and in S. Oregon winters suck! Propane is an expense and hassle, I'm on private land and have a fenced in yard for my dogs and have a shop on the property with a bathroom and washer /dryer so it could be worse. But the bottom line is most RV's were not built for full time living, mine states that in the owners manual. I imagine it will fall apart before I pay it off if I continue to live in it, however it's better than renting a crappy place that would even consider two dogs . The tiny house is an appealing option, likely a warmer and drier one. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, good luck and enjoy whatever you do!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you are buying used - get out and look - a lot. You will learn a lot and know when you find the right one.
After many years looking i found a 10 year old 30 foot Class A gasser/no slides with 39,000 miles for $13. I put $5 into it over the next 2 years and have been happy camper since.
Key items I learned that may be an interest to you:
1) 99% of new buyers want slides - so no slides = no resale market = the best deals if someone is serious on selling. (One guy pestered me for a full year after I purchased another and basically said make any offer and I'll take it). Don't buy on 1st visit.
2) Up at the top of this page you see a "RV FORUM" pull down - Read "Chassis Club" area to see what owners concern are - all chassis have their gremlins/warts. You learn and work through them.
3) Each motorhome 'house' will have it's unique issues. Get it water tight/weather proof 1st, then prioritize (livable items). Upgrade/fix/focus on one major item at a time.
Mostly - Don't get discouraged - We all waste some $ on items we didn't fully understand at the time. It is a learning process.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Since you are buying used - get out and look - a lot. You will learn a lot and know when you find the right one.
After many years looking i found a 10 year old 30 foot Class A gasser/no slides with 39,000 miles for $13. I put $5 into it over the next 2 years and have been happy camper since.
Key items I learned that may be an interest to you:
1) 99% of new buyers want slides - so no slides = no resale market = the best deals if someone is serious on selling. (One guy pestered me for a full year after I purchased another and basically said make any offer and I'll take it). Don't buy on 1st visit.
2) Up at the top of this page you see a "RV FORUM" pull down - Read "Chassis Club" area to see what owners concern are - all chassis have their gremlins/warts. You learn and work through them.
3) Each motorhome 'house' will have it's unique issues. Get it water tight/weather proof 1st, then prioritize (livable items). Upgrade/fix/focus on one major item at a time.
Mostly - Don't get discouraged - We all waste some $ on items we didn't fully understand at the time. It is a learning process.

X10
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #35

So I've done a little research and it would appear that most RVs from the mid 90s actually have a floorplan (no slides) I could modify without completely stripping. The sofa and recliner can be removed for workspace. the kitchen, bathroom and dinette are fine. the bedroom i'd remodel into a gaming room with a bed (either a futon or a bunk over the sofa). that just leaves the question of where to put the washer dryer.ideally i'd have the w/d combo under the closet to save space. I'll probably also install electric heat and an electric w/h kit to avoid having to constantly refill the lpg.

It's looking more and more possible, even with my budget and limited skills.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a man with a plan.
You might look into late 90's or early 2000's. Prior to about 97 or 98 the chassis have R-12 AC, and it seems to me that the fuel efficiency gets better with the later model electronic ignitions. (OBD2 with more sensors enabled better efficiency - more sensors can be good or bad).
Of course if you only drive 3,000 miles a year fuel efficiency isn't important. (Example: 470 gal/year at 7MPG vs. 330 gal/year at 9MPG or an extra 140 gal/year with an older chassis)
Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #37

Carolina Campers
Complete RV Rebuild?

Continue making your plans and dreams come true. You sound like a smart man with goals to accomplish and plans for an independent life, doing things your way. The more ambitious your conquests, the more you will learn along the way.

I'd suggest that you and Beeper do some talking. I followed his efforts working through his water pipe issues and am sure he has learned lessons he will never forget either, and I am proud of him for making the efforts he took on and never gave up trying. Looking at his pictures earlier in this thread show me that he has learned many more lessons that may be helpful to you.

At my age, I'd never try to take the risks that I did at 20, but I will never forget them either.

Ted
Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
This may not be a bad place to start

1994 36’ Foretravel U225 Unihome | 1994 Foretravel Motorhome in Rochester NY | 3728903199 | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace
Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #39

AN1...when you firm up the decision to get your MH....and find your dream model. Getting it ready for appliances will be the big hassle. Winterizing and tying in a big propane tank is how fulltimers survive...LOTS of youtube videos out there on extended dwelling in a MH. We add second and even third tanks of propane....we skirt the RV to keep heat trapped below the rig and snow and ice out....we heat the basement storage compartments and wrap our water lines with heat tape and insulation.....there is more and the learning start now.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A little shopping trick - go to the local 'CraigsList' (Rochester, NY in this case) and you will find the same RV for sale by the owner for $2000 less - go talk to him and you can get several more thousand off the asking price.
1994 ForeTravel 36' U225 Unihome.
Lots of scams on CraigsList, but if you shop local it is valuable.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #41

I so agree.. right now I can still keep doing a lot of the things that I used to do electrical and plumbing all that kind of stuff but even then I'm getting to the point where it's just too much work I know its still fun but we'll see in the future I totally agree with you
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #42

Or you can look for a "Park Model" trailer. They aren't as big as mobile homes and can be towed behind a regular pick up. Even new ones can be bought for $30,000.

Since they are designed for full-time living they usually don't have holding or storage tanks; you will need hook-ups. And they usually have residential refrigerators.

They are more acceptable into trailer parks than an old motorhome.

If you're only moving every few months, towing could even be managed by a service provider so you wouldn't necessarily need your own truck.

Go to an RV show, they're coming up, and look for a Park Model trailer.