Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Compressor Unloader/Governor

Our coach is a 96 Holiday Rambler Imperial on a 95 Spartan Mountain Master chassis. The engine is an 8.3 Cummins. I would like to order a replacement air compressor unloader/governor to cure a problem with frequent purging by the moisture separator. The compressor is a Holset Model QE296C.

Does anybody here have a part number and/or a good on line source for a replacement unloader?

Thanks for your help.

DonL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Pretty much all D2 governors are about the same and pretty universal you just have to put the plugs in the right holes.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Don, Sorry I can't help with a number for you.

Just wondering why you think the air governor/unloaded need replacing?

The "spit" from the air dryer is a function of the air governor/unloader I know, but that's designed to do that to eliminate the water from the system. If it is building to the correct pressures and cycling often it may be that you have an air leak in the system. Replacing the air governor will not help with that unless it's the leak in the system. JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Don, Sorry I can't help with a number for you.

Just wondering why you think the air governor/unloaded need replacing?

The "spit" from the air dryer is a function of the air governor/unloader I know, but that's designed to do that to eliminate the water from the system. If it is building to the correct pressures and cycling often it may be that you have an air leak in the system. Replacing the air governor will not help with that unless it's the leak in the system. JMHO
Agreed. The "spit" from the air dryer occurs whenever the governor reaches maximum adjusted air pressure. Sounds to me like your governor is working properly. I suspect you have an air leak in the system.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I think, if you haven't done so, you need to service your air drier. Lots of spit means your drier could need some service
Old 10-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Thanks guys for your responses. Charlie Fisher at Spartan Chassis suggested that the governor is the most likely culprit and that the air dryer is next. He suggested a test that I haven't yet been able to run so thought I'd just order a replacement governor and have it put on.

I do have some system leaks. The air suspension will settle and my air pressure gages will go from 130 to 60 psi in a days time. Also,I hear a small woosh of air about 15 seconds following each purge. Purges are occuring about every 30 to 40 seconds.

I'm still looking for an on-line source for the governor/unloader and possibly for a Bendix air dryer service kit.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
DonL
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Hey Don I think I would do the cheapest thing first. The air dryer service kit would be my choice.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
I tend to agree with Greg to service the air drier, especially if it hasn't been serviced in a while.

However, I would fix the air leaks at the same time and then check to see how often the system cycles. Cycling every 30 to 40 seconds without any system usage is not acceptable.

I say this because the way the system works is to build up air pressure to the high pressure setting in the air governor/unloader. When that setting is reached the air compressor continues to pump air but the air governor/unloaded does not allow it to continue to charge the system. It also sends the signal to the air drier to discharge.

Once the low pressure setting in the air governor/unloader is reached by lowering of pressure in the system (i.e. brake usage, air bag usage, LEAKS in the system, etc.) the system is again charged with air until the maximum is reached and the air governor/unloader stops charging the system and sends the signal for the air drier to discharge.

This "cycling" frequency will continue until the system stabilizes with the air pressure remaining between the low and high pressure limits of the air governor/unloaded. It won't stabilize if there is leak in the system.

It could be the air governor/unloader is leaking and a quick check for external leaks there can be done with some soapy water solution applied to it. Internal leaks will not show up with this test, but once all external leaks are repaired then a diagnosis of a failed air governor/unloaded could be made.

JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Fix leak FIRST!

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal operation of an air system with a small leak.

The blast of air happens every time the compressor completes a cycle to refil the tanks...the dryer shuts off the compressor and purges itself.

It very well may need servicing but determine why it is cycling too fast first.

Try this...

Park and just let the engine idle and time the cycle duration.

Should come to ride height then blast one and only one time.

Going down the road brake use and axle movement consume air and cause more cycles.

If it is cycling while parked you have a leak.

If you have jacks then lift all 4 corners a bit and see if it changes.

We had one leveling valve with slight adjustment inside that allowed it to leak as it was turning on the lower valve just a bit when at ride height.

A 1/2 turn of a schreader valve fixed it.

If raising it changes cycle time then drop one corner at a time to see where it is.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
NAPA has D2 govenors for $18.00. It's a cheap fix and easy to change. Just did mine last month. Next thing is to rebuild your dryer. That's a little more pricy. Around a $100 or so. But it sounds like you have leak somewhere in the system. A spray bottle of soapy water and a creeper will help you find that. Check your chassis leveler valves and you tank dump valves (auto and manual). These are the usual suspects but check all of your air connections.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #11

Going from 125 psi to 90 psi every 30 to 40 seconds is one huge air leak that however the compressor could not recover from that quickly. SO my money is on a bad air governor. A easy test is run the air down to 90 psi and hold it at 1500 rpms time how long it takes to spit my bet is over a min. Now shut the coach off and watch how long it takes to get back down to 90 psi If the problem was a air leak your air pressure gauges would be going from 90 to 125 and then back to 90 to do this in the 15 to 20 seconds half way time between purges would be a massive air leak.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #12

While I am giving away free diagnostics lets do the entire system.with the coach at full pressure and ride height walk around with the engine off and listen for leaks. Next go inside and pump the brakes till you have no air in the system the coach should still be at ride height walk around and listen for leaks. Now grab a beer or your favorite drink and let it sit for a while 30 min or more and see if it starts to lean over or settle down. Next part of the test with a watch in your hand restart the coach and hold it at 2000 rpm and time how long it takes with empty air tanks to fill the system and purge. Must be under 3 min by DOT rules. Last test block the wheels and with coach at full air pressure and engine off release the parking brake and once again listen for leaks. You have just isolated and leak tested nearly all of your air system.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
Also,I hear a small woosh of air about 15 seconds following each purge.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
DonL
This is normal, at least for a Meritor/ Wabco dryer.

What MY issue is, I've heard this same 15sec release of air from the dryer, over an hour after shutting the motor down .
Old 10-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
This is normal, at least for a Meritor/ Wabco dryer.

What MY issue is, I've heard this same 15sec release of air from the dryer, over an hour after shutting the motor down .

Do you have air leveling? If so, this air release is most likely the coach re leveling.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor