Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Concerned!! 50 Amp Panel Clicking

Fellow RVer's,

This forum has provided many answers to my RV questions and I turn to your expertise once again.

We have a 2004 Monaco Windsor. Recently we have begun to hear a periodic clicking inside the 50 amp distribution panel in the bedroom. No breakers have been tripping, I haven't noticed lights dimming or browning but the clicking is a bit unnerving. It isn't any of the breakers themselves clicking but somewhere in the panel.

We have a 2500 watt intellitec inverter with a Smart EMS Xantrex RC7 GS controller.

We are currently attached to 20 amp service up here in MA. We are running a small electric heater to supplement the coach heat but I have not seen the EMS exceed 20 amps on the digital read out.

We will be moving into an apartment shortly and will have the panel checked out by an RV center before putting the coach into storage. I want to reassure DW that the panel won't spontaneous light up and to be able to talk intelligently with the tech.

What is causing the clicking? Thanks for all your help.

Bill
mrbodywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mrbodywork,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider posting this question in the Monaco Owner's forum. On the iRV2 main page, scroll down to the Owner's Corner. There you will find a forum specifically for Monaco products. I suggest this because nobody knows your coach like somebody who owns one just like yours.

For me, I'd do nothing until you connect to 50 AMP shore power. 50 AMP shore power is really 100 AMPS available to the coach. 20 AMP power is just that, 20 AMPS. Regardless what the monitor says, operating your coach on a 20 AMP power source is a challenge for the EMS.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Heartland RV Club
Welcome to the forum...On my 07 Neptune I had the same clicking ,a tech at Lazy days said it was the EMS unit shedding power . There are relays inside the panel . I had an inverter that had issues and the EMS was trying to compensate for it.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You told us about your inverter.. You did not tell us the make of the panel that's clicking nor did you mention if you have an EMS unit and it's model.

I can think of several reasons for clicking behind the panel.. alas, I need the answers to the above to figure it out.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Plus--A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you could download a picture of the unit that is "clicking" it would be a big help!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's the EMS shedding power. The EMS is built into the 50A load center and is trying to manage you down to 20A when you have that heater running. The heater is probably drawing 13-14 amps all by itself, so there isn't much left for anything else. The click is the EMS opening a circuit to hold the amps to 20. Then it reconnects the power and quickly sees that it is still going to exceed, 20A, so it opens the circuit again. In other words, it is doing what it is supposed to.

Trying to run an electric heater with only 20A available is problematic at best. Shut if off and use the propane furnace instead. That way you will have some electric left for the rest of the coach.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote