Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #15

Good advice

kyrv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #16

More concrete and a longer cover. Might be OK for now but the next one will surely be longer. Mine is 20X40 and was fine for our 32' TT. Now having it extended 8' to cover the 41' MH. Sun and rain come at angles, not just straight down.
Neighbor also having his extended to fit his new TT.

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #17

I am having both sides put on carport all the way down. Both ends open, extra bracing and 12 gage post. I do not want a motorhome longer than what I now have. If I did it would not be over 37'. Will get some pricing on concrete but most likely now will go with the rock. Sounds like what I need in concrete will be more than I really want to pay.
kyrv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"kyrv37"........Do you do your own RV maintenance and servicing? If so, you'll regret using stone. It's a pain, literally, to work on stone.

A 4" concrete slab with a good sand base and rebar is plenty for what you want to do. The size slab you mention is 9 yards of cement. That is a truck load. Price out concrete in you area. Probably looking at $1000.00 in concrete and $2000.00 - $2500.00 for that job in today's market, depending on where you live.

You can also save some money by installing concrete runners, the width of the tires and then fill in around the runners with stone. If you use just runners, they'll need to be 6" deep.

Concretely is rough figured at length x width divided by 80 for a 4" slab.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #19

You didnt mention yoiur location and the type of soil you are beginning with. For instance in Florida we can drive a 50,000 MH on grass and make only a small indention. Having said that proper preperation of your soil is most important. I would never do 4 inch under any circumstance. 6 in yes which is what most RV Parks do. We just did Pavers over compacted road grade gravel, then 4 inch of compacted paver sand and finally 3 in pavers. I park a Phaeton on it and after a year it looks perfectly flat.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrv37 View Post
3/8" rebar set at 18" for both or only if you were going with a DP?
That would be for both.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #21

Here is what I did
Removed all topsoil and installed 12" of small processed gravel
Compacted gravel with large vibratory roller and then puddled with water from hose .
Then final graded with more gravel .
Then install wire mesh
Then poured 6" of fiber reinforced concrete
Then saw cut relief joints as needed as all concrete will crack so we install joints to tell it ware to crack !
I owner a excavating company so it only cost me material witch was around $3000
The labour would have run around $2500 more
Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2494083064.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	59235  
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #22

One more pictures of pad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3181674872.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	59236  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with the "Ask your supplier" there is concrete and there is concrete.. IF I were doing it I'd specify six inches.. but then I'm into over building.. I figure if it will hold 40 tons, it will hold 13. But the reverse,, Perhaps not so well.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Where U

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
You didnt mention yoiur location and the type of soil you are beginning with. For instance in Florida we can drive a 50,000 MH on grass and make only a small indention. Having said that proper preperation of your soil is most important. I would never do 4 inch under any circumstance. 6 in yes which is what most RV Parks do. We just did Pavers over compacted road grade gravel, then 4 inch of compacted paver sand and finally 3 in pavers. I park a Phaeton on it and after a year it looks perfectly flat.
X2 - My 35 X 45 patio is 4". My Driveway for the MH is 6" 5K mix. with mesh. you can also get concrete with fiberglass too. In any case I would not go with anything less than 6". Your local code may override you decision anyway. it is based on soil bearing, temperatures and other factors not attached to your wallet or non-engineer thought processes.

I can't imagine wanting to lay on wet soggy soil, stone or blacktop to do anything under an RV. Save your money for the right stuff. the work you will do to grade and install a crushed dust mix stone will cost a bunch of money as well so why not simply grade and stone for concrete. It is also a lot easier to find a lost nut, washer or screw that always ends up falling somewhere.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
4" of concrete is sufficient with 6x6 10/10 wire, pouring 400# concrete. But the base for th e concrete is the key. Remove all the top soil, may need top go deeper but 12" with a good sand that will compact, in Tennessee we have red sand, when it sets and dry it is like concrete. If you don't have good sand you can back fill with limestone gravel, 33C would be the bet, it is small and will set up good. 33C has a lot of lime stone dust which acts like a binder. One thing make sure your area will drain, you don't want to have a pond on your base because it will penetrate the soil and make mud. When you get ready yo pour dig around the outside perimeter of the to the bottom of the limestone or sand, just turn the edges down and allow the concrete to be about 8" thick. As for steel you really do not need it, you could put two bars around the edge in the turn down about 4 " from the top but I would put the above mentioned wire.

Turn down edge, a true 4" all over, tight dry base and wire, 400 lbs. concrete
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not a concrete expert but will share my driveway experience. We had a concrete driveway put in 8 years ago. I told them we would park our MH on it and it had to handle a 35k lb MH. Contractor said he had a Safari and understood what we needed. I told him I wanted rebar in and he told me he would poor 5" of concrete with rebar and that would be more than enough. I wasn't home for the pod but my wife took pictures. He put down a loose wire mesh over the base and no rebar. Fast forward to now and we have several large cracks where we park the MH. I don't know if it's the lack of rebar, the thickness or the type but our driveway isn't holding up to the weight of our MH. I checked with the local RV dealership and they told me their service bay building has 9" of concrete.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #27

Craigls2,

I am going to assume your concrete pad is in WI so you have quite a bit of rain with a lot of freeze and thaw cycles. Also, you did not mention how much soil was removed in addition to the 5" for the pad, so I am assuming none. My experience is you have a drainage/base problem and not a thickness,re-bar or mesh problem. The contractor should have removed at least another 2", but preferably 6" of soil, and put in stone and made sure that under the concrete there was proper drainage. 2" thick, 9" thick, re-bar, wire mesh, 3500# to 6500# concrete will all brake and crack and heave when just a small amount of water under the pad freezes. If your area in WI is heavy in clay, when the spring thaw comes that clay is more like a water bed than anything solid, the addition of re-bar and mesh or fiber will help, but over time it will all crack. Never underestimate the amount of damage a little water that freezes can do, especially over and over....
Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
Craigls2,

I am going to assume your concrete pad is in WI so you have quite a bit of rain with a lot of freeze and thaw cycles. Also, you did not mention how much soil was removed in addition to the 5" for the pad, so I am assuming none. My experience is you have a drainage/base problem and not a thickness,re-bar or mesh problem. The contractor should have removed at least another 2", but preferably 6" of soil, and put in stone and made sure that under the concrete there was proper drainage. 2" thick, 9" thick, re-bar, wire mesh, 3500# to 6500# concrete will all brake and crack and heave when just a small amount of water under the pad freezes. If your area in WI is heavy in clay, when the spring thaw comes that clay is more like a water bed than anything solid, the addition of re-bar and mesh or fiber will help, but over time it will all crack. Never underestimate the amount of damage a little water that freezes can do, especially over and over....
Our soil is indeed clay based and I don't really know how much soil was removed. Ignorance on my part led to a poor result.