Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrv37 View Post
I might Just go with rock. Sounds like it is starting to get pretty $$$. Now what is the best rocks to use for this?
"#57 with dust", packs down very tight, and the dust fills in voids so it is hard packed, long lasting.
You can park your wheels on large pavers.
viola',
$200.00 or less

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
After reading this I know our driveway was not designed to last. This year the frost line exceeded 36" and I know they didn't put more than a few inches of gravel down. The joints aren't cut, they look molded in and are about 3/8" wide and about that deep. The stamped, decorative concrete on the sides is saw cut but has still cracked in several places. They put felt between the drive and garage but the drive is sinking and the felt is sticking out. The patio they pored out back has moved away from the foundation of the house and we have a 1/2" gap. The felt fell into the gap. I wish I had known more before we started. Sorry if I've gotten off topic but I am learning a lot about what should have been done.
It sounds like the guy that did that was not qualified to do the job or just refused to do it. Our frost line is 13', I cannot imagine pouring concrete to withstand that weather. if you a four inch slab and no turn down you need to make sure it will move together and not hang on anything, the frost raises the slab and the thaw allows it to settle. When we have a bad winter just as we have had this year we see damage not so much as the sever freeze but when the slab moves it will key on the house which should not move or the brick or the garage slab, when one side moves the other does not then it cracks, the wire then helps hold it together. The cracks should occur in the saw joints, that is the reason it is sawed and the depth of the cut is really critical, it just simply makes it break where you need it to break, the caulk then keeps water out of under the slab. I have been in the construction for over 40 years and I still do not know how to keep concrete from cracking, I just hope I can control it. One other thing, do not use wood as expansion joints, looks good but sooner or later it rots leaving a 3/4" crack for water.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My driveway is 4 inch concrete with only fiberglass (kitty hair) mixed into the 6 bag mix. It was poured over my existing gravel driveway and I park my 36 class A. No rebar and no mesh, no problem.
Sounds like there is overkill in your plan.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #46

You can't really fight mother nature, the earth moves constantly, and all concrete cracks eventually. The goal it to prolong the inevitable, or limit the damage as long as possible, hence the grooves in concrete that crack first.

A concrete guy told me there is 2 kinds of concrete concrete that is cracked, and concrete that is going to crack.
He also said the same about basements, and leaks, The basement that leaks, and the basement that will leak
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
6 inches...
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #48

What is "road base"?

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36
Eastern NC
Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Talking She can be beat...... just have to out smart her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
You can't really fight mother nature, the earth moves constantly, and all concrete cracks eventually. The goal it to prolong the inevitable, or limit the damage as long as possible, hence the grooves in concrete that crack first.
Pouring all of your cement on 3/4" or 1" celotex insulation will give Mother Nature a run for her money, she has not beat me in over 15 years with my cement around my home. This patio is 16' x 24' with no cuts, no expansion joints, one big pad poured on celotex (fiber-crete) There is one hair-line crack (have to look hard to see it) 2/3rd's of the way across it. It has never moved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09394.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	59491  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
What is "road base"?

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36
Eastern NC
I also would like to know.
kyrv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #51

Road Base is a mixture of different aggregates that differs everywhere. It is laid down on compacted dirt to a certain depth and compacted also, then asphalt is laid down over it.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #52

jack cowan

I was in the concrete busness for quite a spelland the main thing on cocrete is the base. If you have a solid base, 2in will work I poured a 100 ft drive about seven years ago, had extra sack per yard pluss fiber. Have a couple of small cracks and I park a 40 ft D/P Holliday Rambler on it.No problem!!Good luck
Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
My pad is 4" of fiber reinforced concrete poured over a wire mesh lying on 6" of gravel.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
let all get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack cowan View Post
I was in the concrete busness for quite a spelland the main thing on cocrete is the base. If you have a solid base, 2in will work I poured a 100 ft drive about seven years ago, had extra sack per yard pluss fiber. Have a couple of small cracks and I park a 40 ft D/P Holliday Rambler on it.No problem!!Good luck

2" -- TWO INCHES-- COME ON, this is getting ridiculous. I was in the industrial scale business for years and installed 4 motor truck scales in the meadowlands of NJ where we weighed over 2500 trucks daily going into the dump near Giant stadium. I know about installing concrete and to hold trucks that came in with overloads weighing in at 128,000 pounds of rubble. I was qualified to design up to 1 million pounds and headed up jobs at Alcoa, Pittsburgh steel and a dozen other major industrial plants for Toledo scale and for myself with my own company. Now I'm not saying you have to design to 12" thick with 2" rerod. my monolithic pours of 15 truck loads never cracked.

how come no one here realizes that the township will require a permit to install your pad, sidewalk, drive etc etc. they are the people who will spec the minimum thickness, mix and location. you can put in all the excesses you desire but - the OP - two inches for 30k pounds NAaa !
Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #55

I would go 6". My first rig was a 36' Discovery. It cracked my 4" driveway in several areas. Subsequently I have purchased larger rigs which have further damaged the concrete driveway. My suggestion is to over-engineer and go 6" with reinforcement. I would also figure a way to go thicker along the edges. That't where most of my damage occurred. Maybe a footing, not sure.. I'm facing a $25k repair bill( long driveway). I'm thinking about asphalt to highway specs.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Do not use 3/8 gravel! it will just shift under the weight. Use a good road bsse instead: 11/2" minus crushed rock followed by a 3/4" minus top layer well compacted