Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Condensation in headlights of Itasca Meridian

Does anyone have a problem with condensation in the headlight assembly? I have about 1/8" of condensed water on the passenger side. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom to drain it out and then resealing it with silicone. Comments?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are the headlights made by Depo?
They are the largest manufacturer of oem and aftermarket headlight housings and have been known to have quality issues with sealing

You can drill a hole or you can take the headlight out and strip it down then bake it at 200* to 300* for 5-10 minutes. most recommend 225-275 for 7-13 minutes. Use wood so the oven rack doesnt damage the housing.

The sealant will soften and the whole thing will come apart. clean it out, reheat the housings and then use butyl tape to add extra sealing and put it back together.(or 3m window-weld ribbon sealer)

This is done all the time when people add the led halos to oem headlights.

nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

I don't think Depo makes any true OEM headlights. Some RV manufacturers use them, but those lights are copies of the real headlights.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot to mention that the bulb seal could be bad, take the headlight bulb out and make sure that it has a complete seal all the way around the rubber gasket ( some models use foam) if it looks suspect, you can leave all the bulbs out and park with the headlight so that it will get sun for most of the day, occasionally blow fresh air (you can use a computer duster can) into the housing to displace the moisture and you won't have to drill or disassemble anything. put everything back together and see if it happens again, then it might be the housing to lens seal.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukerj View Post
I forgot to mention that the bulb seal could be bad, take the headlight bulb out and make sure that it has a complete seal all the way around the rubber gasket ( some models use foam) if it looks suspect, you can leave all the bulbs out and park with the headlight so that it will get sun for most of the day, occasionally blow fresh air (you can use a computer duster can) into the housing to displace the moisture and you won't have to drill or disassemble anything. put everything back together and see if it happens again, then it might be the housing to lens seal.
Ya, I do the MDX by removing the bulb and blowing hot air in with a hair dryer...moisture goes in a few minutes. I do this about once a year, cheaper than a new headlight, especially with free campground power.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. It is a Depo and would not be easy to remove. I'm on the road so I drilled a hole on the bottom and let about 2 ounces of water out. I'll let it air out a day or so and maybe seal it.

Tags
itasca, light, lights