Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Condensation on Windshield

Was just wondering how badly the front windshield and side windows we're for condensation in cool damp weather. The rest of the windows in the units we;re looking at have dual pane windows.

Also would getting a windshield cover help with the condensation, we're going to be fulltiming in ours and since we;re Canadian we will have to spend a little time in Canada in late fall and early spring.

Thanks Trap

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Was just wondering how badly the front windshield and side windows we're for condensation in cool damp weather. The rest of the windows in the units we;re looking at have dual pane windows. Also would getting a windshield cover help with the condensation, we're going to be fulltiming in ours and since we;re Canadian we will have to spend a little time in Canada in late fall and early spring.
Trap, There is very little you can do short of directing a space heater right at the windshield to keep it dry. I have a windshield cover and an internal sun screen and I still get condensation. If you want to get less condensation in the coach, it is recommended that you keep a window open but who wants to freeze?

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Was just wondering how badly the front windshield and side windows we're for condensation in cool damp weather. The rest of the windows in the units we;re looking at have dual pane windows.

Also would getting a windshield cover help with the condensation, we're going to be fulltiming in ours and since we;re Canadian we will have to spend a little time in Canada in late fall and early spring.

Thanks Trap
Hi there i understand what you are talking about i use a portable dehumidifier Supentown w/UV+TiO2 .... I love it it helps with that problem i leave it run all the time i use the coach and it will help keep the moisture down on the glass..... If one wanted and i am looking to do is have 2 one in front and one in the back of the coach ...... I bought mine off ebay open box but new and it was 35 dollars well spent and wish i would have bought 2
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #4

I can STOP IT. Tested down to 10 degrees (only because mother nature would not make it colder).
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
No dual panes would be a deal breaker for us, even with vent cracked we had con densation on our other coach, no problem with this one,also helps with heat in summer..
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I can STOP IT. Tested down to 10 degrees (only because mother nature would not make it colder).
How
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Stay at home in the winter!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wood? I have found that down to about 30F if we open the windshield curtain when we go to bed we don't get the condensation. Other windows are dual pane.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marv what is supentown w/UV+TiO2
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #10

Perceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Wood? I have found that down to about 30F if we open the windshield curtain when we go to bed we don't get the condensation. Other windows are dual pane.

Hi,

I believe what you are saying. When the curtains are closed the air movement is less and the cold glass lowers that trapped air to its dew point. My solution works to very low temps. Mother nature only cooperated to 10 degrees fahrenheit in my experiments.

All motorhomes made, no matter how much you paid, have a single pane of glass in front. All are massive wasters of heat. So the perception is that nothing is wrong when you don't see condensation. The fact is your heat is being dumped to the outside of your motorhome. When vapor is changed to a liquid, condensation, that's a phase change. Massive amounts of heat are released. It's just the reverse when you heat water. It takes massive amounts of heat to turn liquid water to steam. The released heat from condensation travels to cold. If you get to the point of ice forming that's another phase change. More heat being pumped to cold.

I stop this problem without using any electricity as people are doing using dehumidifiers or even worse opening their windows to "dry" out the inside air.

At the same time I conserve your heat.

None of you is immune to what I'm explaining here.

Perceptions can make you think you don't have a problem. An example. Years ago I started an offshoot to my general contracting business retrofitting insulation in homes. Some of the hardest to sell were the people who were warm in their homes. They were the ones with boilers which could keep up with the rapid heat loss. The heat was still flying through the walls but they could not feel it so the perception for them was nothing was wrong. It took a lot of extra work with scanners and such to convince them.

My post Full timers and heat in winter is another attempt I made to address heat loss in MH and Trailers. The fix seems drastic but I explain that. The results will be dramatic. My attention to full timers seemed logical since most, it seems, want to cut back on their costs to live. That's why many full time. For me the only way I'd full time is with a bus conversion so I could prepare it properly against heat loss and gain.

OK I've said enough.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Marv what is supentown w/UV+TiO2
Its a portable dehumidifier i love it and it works great i get about 6 ounces of water in the collection cup each night

mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
We have had the same problem. The best solution we have had so far was keeping curtains open at windshield placing small table top fan on dash and when cold nights happen in Mississippi (they do) we have a curtain draped behind driver and passanger seats. So far it's worked? Good luck! We head to Lake Placid, NY in April hope we don't need it then??
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We don't have dual pane windows and if we have condensation, it will be on the windshield. I turn run the dash fans to clear.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is somewhat normal that a windshield will get some condensation during cooler weather. It is caused by the dew point of the air and the surface of the windshield being colder than the dew point. You have to methods of fixing the problem. One is to reduce the humidity of the air in the RV. This is not the easiest thing to do.

The other is to increase the temperature of the windshield surface. One way to do is is head south until the temperatures are warmer.

You can also direct a small fan toward the windshield and it will help a bit.

Controlling humidity is an on going problem. as you breath, you expel moisture. cooking adds moisture to the air and showing adds more. Keep a vent cracked open and a window cracked to let the warm air rise and carry the moisture out. When cooking and especially showering, run a vent van to get moisture out.

The little chemical dehumidifiers work, but in a very limited manner. If you have a lot of humidity issues after working on humidity control, you may need to ressort to a mechanical dehumidifier.

Ken