Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #43

Used Safari

maccorgi - this definately sounds like a 'service' or 'shuttle' rv that has been used for that purpose only - a) 2008 and never titled?? - if you do buy it check the vehicle VIN before you sign the dotted line and verify that it is actually owned by that dealer - I have seen a couple of bogus deals happen like that in the past where the the numbers, both vehicle chassis and coach numbers did not match the documentation that came with it b) you mentioned that the slidout seal(s) are missing- sounds like the slidout has been in and out many times and that indicates the RV has been used possibly at shows, events, or for personnal use - it's also possible that this unit may have been used by one dealer for a while then possibly traded to the current dealer and they then used it as well - 3500 miles on the vehicle and 300 hours on the generator?? - absolute proof that it is well used and at that mileage I would check with the local highway authority to see if it has ever been in an accident even though it has not been plated or registered -if it was involved in an accident the police report will have the dealer name and dealer plate number that was on the RV at the time - there may be hidden damage to the body or chassis that has been repaired- a trained eye can spot this in most cases - you may also want to check who the coach was originally delivered to by contacting the factory with the VIN numbers c) 300 hours on the generator is not a lot but if several different people operated it who knows if the generator has been maintained and for that matter the vehicle itself ? - usually you find it has not so has any damage been done to the generator that will shorten the service life so that you will not get the running hours out of it that you would if you purchased new and maintained it yourself ? - this all has to be taken into consideration since any repairs will be paid by you after the purchase - are they offering any warranty with the coach? - the fact that they did not even clean the coach before showing it tells me that they want to dump it and that it's possible they did not take care of the maintenance on it - if you do want the unit hire an RV tech to look at it and have him check the operation of everything on the RV before you accept the deal- let us know what happens!
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #44

Interesting that you say I should hire a Mechanic. I do think that you can get a carfax even on an RV since all accidents can be reported. I had someone else tell me that they saw the unit in Charleston SC and it had been in a dealership that went under before it was in Charleston, SC.

If I still plan on getting it - I will get a carfax on it - there was water on the sill where the slides had definitely were seals has come off...

Thank you so much. All these things tell me that there are things that need to be considered with a used unit.

Have a great Fathers Day to everyone.

Regards,

LL

Jett, Andy and Yuri
maccorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #45

Hi maccorgi, Just a note Carfax is not always accurate. Only REPORTED ACCIDENTS or incidents appear. If a claim was paid privately without going through insurance it may not appear. In some States accidents do not have to be reported if under a certain dollar amount or no personal injury occurs.
Titles still can be "washed" in certain States even if a vehicle is Salvage.
There used to be a term with computers "Garbage in Garbage out" if no one transfers the info to the records it will not show up.
Buyer Beware!
Robert
Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccorgi View Post
If I still plan on getting it -
I'm curious. With 40 plus post and not one poster recommending you buy this coach and many saying to run away from the deal, why would still consider this coach at any price. It sounds to me to be a bad deal at any price and it also sounds to me that there is something about this coach that you just have to have...if thats the case, I'm sure the manufacturer built more than one unit.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
so here's the part I do not get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccorgi View Post
I like the dealer closer they have been really nice - I would have prefered to use the one closer - just did not know and now I feel obligated to work with this dealership - but don't exactly trust one that let's someone live in the coach and advertise it as NEW!
...how do you figure your are obligated???

do you think the dealer is being straight up with you???

as stated: RUN