Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Of those still in production: Newmar, Entegra, American, Foretravel, Newell, and of course Prevost conversions. Others will soon chime in with their favorites too.

Out of business, but may come back: Country Coach (now owned by Winnebago and we hope they bring back the original quality but I have my doubts!).

They mounted the AV stuff on a slideout cabinet, separate from the outside cabinet on ball bearing slides. The workings of the slides are covered with vertical fan shade material. Thought I had pictures of the AquaHot interior switch panel but I guess it's on my laptop, but they used 5/8" Cherry faced plywood, and it's not the cheap US stuff, looks more like the European no void stuff. Frame was built by CC and is a semi-monocoque with all steel upper.

I think Mr D has a solid list of currently being built higher end manufacturers.

If you take the top models of Tiffen, Winnie, Fleetwood, and probably a few others, you would get the "B" quality level and components and materials mix of coaches.

As you do not specially mention new or used in your hunt, I assume you are considering new. If the is wrong, and you are also considering used. The come back and post that you are. As this opens you to to many no longer manufactured great quality coaches. (As mentioned, Country Coach. Add in Wanderlode, Beaver, Monaco's Dynsasty/Executive/Signature (And equivalent Holiday Rambler sister rigs of these.) Western RV's Alpine is a fine coach, Travel Supreme, Tripple E made some good Class A's, etc., etc.)

If shopping used also. I always recommend picking your budget point for purchase, leaving a hunk of available for catch up maintenance and making it your coach, as well as an additional hunk of funds for contingency. And then find the highest quality coach that meets your needs. Drop years to remain within budget, as quality lasts. The higher end coaches, provide a great foundation to update to what you may specially like. (Change of carpets, adjust cabinetry, modernize electronics, change over to residential fridge, etc.) And being a higher end, they usually have chassis and BIG BLOCK engines that will outlast the coach many times over.

Others like the comfort of new, and that is OK, as someone has to buy it to take the hit on depreciation. I think somewhere around 2014-2015, someone bought a Prevost Marathon 40' XL chassis based two Drivers Side slide coach - that will someday be my next rig. And I thank them for taking that new coach depreciation!

Happy hunting, keep using the search feature and reading about "Best Class A" or 'High End Coaches" etc... Go kick some tires, sit in some coaches, and drive some coaches... Then make you best decision and go have some fun.
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #16

Absolutely fell in love with Foretravel when we were looking to upgrade. Could not afford a newer one and ultimately decided to move to something newer we could actually comfortably afford with residential appliances.

But hope one day to actually own a 36' U320 with slide(s). Love the quality.

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

If you want to get good quality and yet affordable, buy used. You loose a lot of money in depreciation with a new one and you have no guarantee that you won't have issues. Look at one a few years old. When you find the one for you have it thoroughly inspected by a qualified person - not the dealer. A used one will have those first year kinks worked out.

We had excellent experiences with our Newmar Dutch Star for 8 of our 16 years of full-timing. We traveled constantly, including Alaska. We boondocked a lot on national forest lands and BLM lands which necessitated us to drive gravel roads. It was a very sound, dust-proof coach.

Good luck finding the one meant for you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #18

Anyone have experiences with the LazeDaze Class C or the new Nexus Class A or Class C motorhomes?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
Anyone have experiences with the LazeDaze Class C or the new Nexus Class A or Class C motorhomes?
Just sold our Nexus Phantom 28P today. Owned it for a little over 2 years with no major issues. Very good quality. Only reason for selling it was for a DP to fulltime in with more towing capacity. After almost a year long search we bought a 2005 Foretravel U270 36' 400HP Cummins ISL with 18K Towing capacity.
I would highly recommend looking at an older Foretravel. Check out Motorhomes of Texas, they usually have a good selection of high quality motorhomes in stock.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

Owned two Winnie's. A 2011 26' vista (cheap baseline model) and a 2014 journey DP. Both I felt had a quality build. I have taken them apart and added some of my own features in both of them. What frustrated me was my journey. The lack of quality venders in the contruction, particularly the lippert autoleveler and schwintech slides. Both garbage and will avoid those components in my next rv. Also the camera system and radio in the journey are questionable as I have already had some issues with it and did the repairs myself. The Vista had HWH in the levelers and slides. Both worked flawlessly and felt solid. Both units have a good chassis, but the DP is certainly more fun to drive.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
What's quality to one person is junk to the next. We are in our third Tiffin. We have an excellent dealer 45 miles away that can handle anything that the factory can, so no wasted trips to Red Bay to wait in line for service. After the first year with some very minor fixes, we just load it, add fuel and hit the road. On the other side, I have read about people who have had to take their Tiffins back to the factory for numerous repairs. Our sons new 45' Mountain Aire has been back to the Newmar factory three times with 45 items to fix/correct in the last 10 months. They used to have high quality standards. So depending on what you consider "Quality", it's anybody's guess. From what I have seen, I think that the quality of the higher end coaches like Monaco, Country Coach, Navigator, and a couple others manufactured from 1998 to 2008 are all made with better quality materials and workmanship. With one from that timeframe, you might give up some of the modern electronics, but you get a solid well built motorhome from the ground up. Although we are very happy with our 2013 Allegro Bus, if I were in the market for a change, I would look long and hard at ones mentioned.
My idea of "quality" is a coach that is assembled correctly when it leaves the manufacturer... solid construction...door aligned, not full of sawdust, everything working as it should etc. I know things can go wrong down the line, but even the cheapest Chevy Spark is likely to come off the line put together right.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
My idea of "quality" is a coach that is assembled correctly when it leaves the manufacturer... solid construction...door aligned, not full of sawdust, everything working as it should etc. I know things can go wrong down the line, but even the cheapest Chevy Spark is likely to come off the line put together right.
Funny.
But 2 years ago when we were looking to buy a new toad, they wouldn't let us test drive several Chevy models due to various safety recalls. We opted for a new 2014 Honda CR-V. Glad we did since they are no longer towable 4 down.

I think on factor that reflects quality would be R, K, C factor(s) of insulation. A tight ship with 4 season insulation is probably a good indication of a well built coach. I know our Bounder could be much better in that regard. Other than that though, she is holding up and performing well so far.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #23

I think part of the answer depends on need.

My wife and I are retired. We purchased our 2016 Winnebago for short trips, say a week at a time. We have around 6,000 miles on our rig and three week long trips under our belt. We have traveled over the Sierra's on I-80 and through mountain grades on I-5 on our way to Oregon. I am thrilled with performance and build. Plenty of power and the house is very comfortable.

Do I think this unit would hold up to full time use? Probably not and is not marketed for full time use. Admittedly it is for vacation type travel only but, for well under $100,000, I think it is well worth the money we paid.

Just my opinion.

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #24

Our extended research into class A DP left us looking at Tiffin, Newmar and Monaco

2015 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
tjkwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #25

Quote:
LazyDaze Class C's don't have slides if that would be a concern for you. Of course, many years ago we stopped at Foretravel and the salesperson adamantly stated Foretravel will NEVER have slides.

We couldn't stand the confinement after having slides.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #26

That my friend is an excellent post.
You are right on the money in regards to the love of the negative.
It even applies down here in little ol New Zealand
Regards
David Stuart
Old 11-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I think there are multiple aspects to this. The more expensive brands have better quality materials inside & out, and mostly better construction, i.e. better plumbing, wiring harnesses, heftier chassis, etc. And they generally spend a little more time on the assembly line to make things right. But they all fail on consistency of quality, i.e. they routinely make production mistakes that sometime result in major problems, or rigs with numerous defects instead of a few minor things. Even rigs in the $500k-$750k suffer from this. They all also have design flaws, mostly things that simply are not well thought out when a feature or gadget is added.

I don't know if the $1M rigs have the same kinds of issues, but a custom built coach gets you a lot of personal attention at and after delivery! Makes up for at least some of the potential problems.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkwny View Post
Our extended research into class A DP left us looking at Tiffin, Newmar and Monaco
I looked at a older Monaco Cayman deisel the other day ... really pretty

Tags
fuse, quality