Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Connecting a Coleman gas gril to my low pressure connection in MH

Could you please advise if I can connect a Coleman gas grill (road trip) that we have purchased to my existing low pressure propane outlet in my RV? If any kit needed where can I purchase it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can get an Extend A Stay kit from any camping supply. If your grill has a regulator, you can get the kit with a 12' hose to hook up your grill. I use a Baby Q on mine. Works great
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
To use the low pressure outlet with your grill means you are going to have to remove the regulator and associated plumbing. The better way to do this is use the high pressure side (Extend-a-Stay) and the exiting regulator on grill.

You might want to look into a small (5-10lb) LP tank and extension hose.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

Typically, the cheapest way is to purchase a standard 20lb. cylinder for about $30 and the extension hose/adapter (about $19). This allows you to locate the grill anywhere rather than near your onboard LP tank and you can get the tank refilled easily. A tank carrier (to hold the tank upright in a vehicle) is about $10.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

Thanks to all. I ordered the Extend the Stay. I dont want carry extra cilanders. Space limitation and concerns with carrying propane under the RV.
Please elaborate what should I do to my gas grill for this to work.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Thanks to all. I ordered the Extend the Stay. I dont want carry extra cilanders. Space limitation and concerns with carrying propane under the RV.
Please elaborate what should I do to my gas grill for this to work.
This will not solve any concerns over carrying propane. here's an install video.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

on my rig there is an extra valve that says vapor just like the vavle with the regulater...now if you have this on your tank then you can just attach a hose to that valve and use the regulater that comes with the grill...i dont think all the class a rigs have this extra valve but many do and many dont realize that is what its for..i just went to the local propane company and had a 20 foot hose made....jeff
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
To use the low pressure outlet with your grill means you are going to have to remove the regulator and associated plumbing. The better way to do this is use the high pressure side (Extend-a-Stay) and the exiting regulator on grill.

i agree, with low pressure it wont work unless you remove the existing regulator which is difficult if not impossible.\\

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

It's quite simple. Your Road Trip has a regulator designed to attach one pound cylinders. You can buy hoses and tees from any RV supplier that are threaded just like the one pound cylinders. Disconnect the regulator at your on board tank, install the tee and reattach the regulator. You can buy the hoses in varying lengths. Now you can hook as many hoses in line as you wish to allow you to set your grill anywhere you like. One end of the hose(e) attaches to the tee installed at your tank and the other end attaches to the Road Trip. No high and low pressure issues and you're not taking up space with additional tanks. I've been fueling my grills like this in two different rigs for nearly 10 years. If you need pix, I'll post a few shots of mine.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
What I did on mine was to remove the regulator from the road trip grill and use a brass nipple to the grill screw on fitting. Then I used a hose about 15' long with a quick disconnect to plug into a remote fitting on the pass. side of the coach. It worked great, I'm with you about carrying extra tanks.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
on my rig there is an extra valve that says vapor just like the vavle with the regulater...now if you have this on your tank then you can just attach a hose to that valve and use the regulater that comes with the grill...i dont think all the class a rigs have this extra valve but many do and many dont realize that is what its for..i just went to the local propane company and had a 20 foot hose made....jeff

I would suggest and I am no expert the following, t into the high pressure side of the main suuply line from your tank to the main reg,(before the reg) either install a lp high pressure quick disconnect there or run a short line to the other side of the coach and mount and install the quick disconnect there, buy one or two 12 foot length of lp high pressure hose, purchase the male fitting that mimicks the top of the green lp bottles, either connect the two 12 footers or install quick disconnects and away you go, one thing to remember, there is no checlk valve in the line so when you disconnect the lines be very careful, there is a **** load of lp and pressure in there enough to run the barb cue for several minutes, ill be looking for a check valve this year.

finally have an expert at least look at what you have done before you turn it on.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
I watched the video for the extenda stay and now I am really confused. They hooked up a small tank to their coach tank then hooked up a weber Q grill. What is gained doing that? Does he have to carry the tank along in the MH.
The extenda stay seems to be a big PIA. What am I missing here?
recycled55
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled55 View Post
I watched the video for the extenda stay and now I am really confused. They hooked up a small tank to their coach tank then hooked up a weber Q grill. What is gained doing that? Does he have to carry the tank along in the MH.
The extenda stay seems to be a big PIA. What am I missing here?
recycled55
The Extend A Stay has two distinct functions. Firstly, the small fitting allows you to attach an external tank to supply the motor home instead of the internal tank. Lets you go get a propane fill without breaking camp. Secondly, and completely independently, you can attach a hose to the large fitting and run your grill from the internal (or external if hooked up) tank. The hose has a "disposable cylinder" fitting which attaches to the grill instead of a throwaway bottle. The regulator MUST be in place on the grill.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #14

I got a 20 ft extension for my low pressure propane and the appropriate quick connection from www.tejassmokers.com. Great service and quick delivery. Works great!
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote