Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #15

I would be 'testing' the batteries myself. A good battery load test unit is good to have. As old as the batteries appear to be, I would be changing themout as soon as I could anyway. Some of the places we boondock, do not have a service to jump start when your batteries go dead.
I would also be concerned about the flashing light on the dash. While it could verywell be the 'dead' batteries, there might be another issue.
If the MH is one that really suits your 'wants', see if they will reduce the price for YOU to replace the batteries.
Good luck
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Community Moderator

ask for price reduction at least 1 grand to cover the batteries, assuming 4 golf cart batteries and a chassis one are needed, at final stage.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Lawyers resent remarks comparing themto the shark family, ambulance chasers, shysters, etc.
Unfortunately the really good lawyers--AND the really good RV dealers and mechanics---end up getting lumped with the bad ones.
RVRepairnut, it sounds like you are one of the really good ones and were hurt by being lumped with the bad ones. Chin up!! Keep your statements positive and, if possible, tell detractors of your satisfied customers.

Remember, bad news and comments travel at light speed while, unfortunately, good news and comments travel at a snail's pace.
I hear you Nitehawk and thanks for the support.[ moderator edit ]
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I too would be concerned about the batteries. I would have them charge up the batteries and make sure all the gremlins mentioned were dealt with before I signed on the dotted line. Then if I felt the batteries needed replacement I would make my own choice. Good luck and hope it all goes well.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
In my new to me Signature I replaced 4 of the 8 house batteries and the 2 new chassis batteries
Chassis batteries were not much more than car batteries and needed to be 1800 cranking amps from memory
4 of the house batteries looked very old and the other bank looked brand new.
I suspect all were dead flat at some stage as this coach was notify of love for some period.
I will not be able to report back about the error of my ways or otherwise till march.
I have either saved a $1000 or NOT
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #20

It's a used coach which has been sitting awhile. That is reflected in the price. To expect all to be new is unreasonable. The price reflects the "used" nature of the beast.

I don't know what the cost of the batteries is, but I'd almost welcome the opportunity to put new batteries of my own choice in.

It sounds a lot like me - an expenditure of that size makes me nervous, and I find something to fret over. It isn't necessarily anything significant, but my mind makes it very significant. I have to talk to friends.

I'd offer to split the cost of the batteries with the dealer, and if that didn't work I'd ask him to give them to you at his cost. If that didn't work I'd walk away.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #21

Most likely if the batteries are OEM lead acid at 4 years old they are not long for replacement anyway, especally if they have not been cared for correctly. As to the ATC light that could be a whole new set of issues. For me IMHO if I was shelling out $$ for a 4 year old coach it would have to be ready to go Gremilin free at time of purchase, Give the dealer a chance, make your offer (with all new batteries and no ATC light on), if they say no deal and you still want the coach adjust your offer accordingly and address the problems yourself. Batteries are not to much of a problem, the ATC (automatic traction control) light is an issue for the chassis builder. It will also take your time and diesel fuel moving the coach to have these issues taken care of. Good luck
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #22

Funny you should mention this subject....
while the coach was parked for a few months our house batteries went dry, dead, and therefore I found out about all the things that are connected to the batteries....
Inverter switching and charging control module, transmission shift control module, leveling system, ATC, etc, etc, etc......
The batteries are in constant use for many different aspects of the coach operations, I would recommend that you have complete confidence in your chassis and house batteries, don't take any shortcuts, it could mean a world of difference between those unknown gremlins that keep popping up and everything working as it should.
Its a small price to avoid any potential disasters down the road.......

RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Insist on new batteries.. though the house batteries, if they are Six Volt pairs.. MIGHT recover and be good for years to come, the chassis battery is toast..

This is the biggest difference between starting and deep cycle

And even knowing that,,, I'd insist on new batteries.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #24

i just last week bought our '97 london aire and the dealer told me straight up that they are replacing coach batteries and the chassis ones were replaced last year...now after the negotiations they still said they were going to check every system and repair as needed..then they changed oil and the tranny oil and chassis service..i was there to day ago and the mechanic handed me all the manuals about 5 0r 6 binders with all the serial numbers for all systems and recepts for the previuos repairs...he said if we get familer with the systems from the books it will make it easier to do the walk thru..isnt that they it should be with all dealers for rv's?? is it just different here?? And this is why i wanted to deal with dealer instead of private although i probably could have saved 5 grand.yes we paid 387000.but everything is going to work......jeff
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
$387,000 for a '97? They should have read the manuals to you, not just handed them to you for that price!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #26

sorry its 38700
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #27

1st M/h we have ever had at the age of 65 was told from dealer that they did a 200
check point to make sure all was good.Sign the papers and gave him the check to pick up M/H in 7 days. to make along story short they never did anything they promised.Took us 21 days to get the M/H. change the oil myself had to replace one of the 3 battery and do many other things too. But the dealer just screw himself we told him in 3yrs we were going to buy a new one,or a almost new one and guess what it won't be from him.Good M/H bad dealer.
TRELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRELL View Post
1st M/h we have ever had at the age of 65 was told from dealer that they did a 200
check point to make sure all was good.Sign the papers and gave him the check to pick up M/H in 7 days. to make along story short they never did anything they promised.Took us 21 days to get the M/H. change the oil myself had to replace one of the 3 battery and do many other things too. But the dealer just screw himself we told him in 3yrs we were going to buy a new one,or a almost new one and guess what it won't be from him.Good M/H bad dealer.
Bad dealers go broke eventually. It's insane that he doesn't want a good reputation. Must live in wonderland

Tags
batteries