Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Exclamation Consequences of Dead, DEAD batteries?

Need your collective insight.

We're looking at a Country Coach that was in excellent shape, but on the dealers' lot (for the brief time it was there), they allowed both the chassis and house batteries to go completely dead. Apparently couldn't even get a "click" out of it and had to charge them for a long time to get enought to start engine or generator.

It's a 2008 coach, but just standard batteries (not AGM), and they insist that the battery's health/cranking power wouldn't have been affected...but I'm suspicious.

Also, there seems to be a few gremlins as a result of it (blinking ATC light) they their tech said could be fixed with a "reboot".

In this scenario...what would you advise? We're newbies to this.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Yep

By all means insist on new batteries. Even the deep cycle batteries suffer from allowing them to be discharged to zero for long periods.

If "new batteries" is a deal breaker I would walk away...
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If otherwise a good coach, I would not get hung up on whether the dealer will or will not replace them. If the dealer will not replace the batteries, just factor their value into your price negotiation. Then replace yourself now or at some future date as needed. I would rather replace myself with the quality and brand of my choosing anyway.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd require price reduction to cover cost of new batteries. If you let them put in new batteries, they could go for the cheapest, weakest batteries and you'd hardly be better off than you started. If they insist on replacement, write down size and rating of the 'dead' batteries in coach and require comparable replacements.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
By all means insist on new batteries. Even the deep cycle batteries suffer from allowing them to be discharged to zero for long periods.

X2, I would insist on new batteries.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think new batteries are in order although I got 9 years and 11 months out of our OEM Interstate U-2200's and I regularly took them down pretty low, like 11.0 volts.

Check the cases, they may be bulging, if so they need replacing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

I agree with BFlinn181
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

Every used vehicle I ever bought I replaced the batteries. Its much better to have good new ones then cheap replacement dealers install.
To me good batteries are the requirements for good performance plus you own the replacement warranty
And there is no room in my purchase price for more frills.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Need your collective insight.

We're looking at a Country Coach that was in excellent shape, but on the dealers' lot (for the brief time it was there), they allowed both the chassis and house batteries to go completely dead. Apparently couldn't even get a "click" out of it and had to charge them for a long time to get enought to start engine or generator.

It's a 2008 coach, but just standard batteries (not AGM), and they insist that the battery's health/cranking power wouldn't have been affected...but I'm suspicious.

Also, there seems to be a few gremlins as a result of it (blinking ATC light) they their tech said could be fixed with a "reboot".

In this scenario...what would you advise? We're newbies to this.

Mark
depends on how old they are,how many times they have been run this low etc.If there 2008 more than likely there not in perfect condition although to try and answer your question it should not have hurt the batterys just because u ran them that dead.in other words they should charge up 100%
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #10

RV Dealers, if their lips are moving, they are lying, and not just about the batteries.

If its a $100k coach, budget at least 20% initially to bring it up to speed, because no matter what lie(s) they tell you, they've done the absolute minimum to get the thing off the lot.

Don't let "them" pick the batteries because they'll install the cheapest. You should specify, how many, and the make and model of the batteries.

Good Luck
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post

really? thats a rash statement when U dont even know what the deal is or
condition of MH or current ask? Maybe the dealer is already way way below market value? Maybe the OP is getting such a good dea;l he should just simply buy the unit and worry about new batterys on his own
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
RV Dealers, if their lips are moving, they are lying, and not just about the batteries.

If its a $100k coach, budget at least 20% initially to bring it up to speed, because no matter what lie(s) they tell you, they've done the absolute minimum to get the thing off the lot.

Don't let "them" pick the batteries because they'll install the cheapest. You should specify, how many, and the make and model of the batteries.

Good Luck
Iam a Rv dealer and I take personal resentment to your [moderator edit] comment
SIR!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Iam a Rv dealer and I take personal resentment to your [moderator edit] comment
SIR!!!

Quote:
although to try and answer your question it should not have hurt the batterys just because u ran them that dead.in other words they should charge up 100%
Quote:
and they insist that the battery's health/cranking power wouldn't have been affected...
Sounds like they went to the same RV Dealers' school
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #14

Lawyers resent remarks comparing themto the shark family, ambulance chasers, shysters, etc.
Unfortunately the really good lawyers--AND the really good RV dealers and mechanics---end up getting lumped with the bad ones.
RVRepairnut, it sounds like you are one of the really good ones and were hurt by being lumped with the bad ones. Chin up!! Keep your statements positive and, if possible, tell detractors of your satisfied customers.

Remember, bad news and comments travel at light speed while, unfortunately, good news and comments travel at a snail's pace.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries