Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #15
Agree with all that has been said--don't see the problem here? Maybe 13 or 14 years ago when the economy was better, it was pretty hectic around the trucker pumps. Wait times were longer, pump lines were a couple trucks deep and there was a lot of jockeying to get in position--but not any more. Today, we usually drive right to an open pump lane--not always, but often. Don't need another credit card but using the FJ loyalty card gets the pump started and the discounts. DW goes inside and pays while I pull forward--no problems. Compared to the "RV lanes" up front with slow pumps and cramped turning lanes, the truck pumps are a breeze.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
I fuel 100% at truck stops. Mostly Flying J and Pilot (I have their pay-at-the-pump card) but have used others, too. I have never had any kind of a problem. Not with the pumps, other drivers...nothing...ever. A side benefit is the long-handled squeegee for cleaning the windshield while the pump is doing its thing. The few dollars to be saved fueling at the neighborhood station just aren't worth it for me.

Just follow the truckers etiquette and pull forward as son as you finish fueling. Do your paperwork after you pull up.

Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #17
I use PFJ all the time. Many have added RV lanes for those who don't want to get in the Truck lanes but I have no problem using the truck lanes, just be considerate as others have stated, they are at work. Pul forward as soon as you are done fueling and if you need to go inside do it after pulling forward. I have a love-hate relationship with the big truck fuel fillers. Much bigger and much higher flow rate but I have a tank foaming issue and it is excerbated by rapid fill rates. The good sam card with the 8 cent per gallon discount is great and it works at the RV lanes (and regular lanes) too. saves time.
2005 Airstream 396 XL Land Yacht with Cat 330 C7
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL-R 5th Wheel
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Another vote for no problems at truck lanes. I pay cash so I have to make an extra trip in and out of store unless DW wants to go in. (good exercize since I usually stop at far islands) I also pull forward when done filling. Peter
Peter, Carole, and Buzz Where am I goin'? I don't know Where am I headin'? I ain't certain
All I know Is I am on my way! (plagiarised)
Petcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:38 AM   #19
I use the big truck stops pretty much exclusively. I have driven many miles and been to truck stops in many states and have never experienced what you talked about. I just get in line with the trucks, fill up and leave. I have a Pilot card so I look for Polite stations and swipe at the pump. Otherwise, I go in and give them my card - no problem. I have always been treated courteously.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
I use my gas buddy app to locate fuel stops and the price. If I am forced to use the PFJ I will, but many corner gas stations have dedicated diesel/big vehicle pumps to the side or rear. The savings can be significant over the PFJ pricing. Example; in Sioux Falls SD there was a corner store 2 blocks from the PFJ and $.35 less. 4 diesel lanes, pumps on both sides for those that need that and clean.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD, 2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
drwwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #21
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I applied for the Flying J/Pilot RV Plus charge card back at the end of July - in anticipation of a trip to Arizona. On July 26th, shortly after submitting my application - I received a "Welcome" email which included the "last 6 digits" of the card # and a "control #" which is apparently something that must be entered when actually using the card. The email said that the card itself would be received via "snail mail" within 4 weeks.

The 4 weeks came and went with no card. I sent and email - to which they responded and apologized for the inconvenience, promising to send another card.

Unfortunately, yesterday we left on our trip nearly 7 weeks after receiving the first email advising that the card was on the way - without actually receiving a card. Needless to say - I'm underwhelmed by their service so far.
I sure won't vouch for their customer service but the card is well worth the trouble. I would never go back to having to go inside and before & after pumping.
Bill & Kelli 2015 Dutch Star 4366
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
We have used both truck stops and neighborhood gas stations to fuel our DP. We found truck stop fuel to be $.20-.30/gal more than the neighborhood stations near our house. But, but that extra $$, you get WAY faster fill times, on the order of 2-4 times faster. So if your tank is low and you're on a schedule, the truck stop may be the best bet. I do highly recommend getting one of their CCs so you can pay at the pump.

BTW, our experience as first time truck stop users was the professional drivers were very friendly. We had to get help to start the fueling process, were completely surprised when our CCs did not work in their pay at the pump setup.

2003 National Tradewinds 375 LE
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have had the Good Sam / Pilot J card for a while and will use it if I stop @ a PFJ. But I have lessened my visits in that they ARE usually much higher, but never had a problem there, in fact, most truckers are glad (if there are lines at all the pumps) to pull in behind my lil' 100 gallon rig versus a 300 gallon 18 wheeler

(to the poster that asked about the 'code', it's a pin just like with your debit card, and is asked for after you start the pump...)
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I sure won't vouch for their customer service but the card is well worth the trouble. I would never go back to having to go inside and before & after pumping.
I hope so - because these days I purposely avoid stations where I can't "pay at the pump". I can deal with the time and inconvenience of having to "go in" before and after filling up - it's common practice of having to "leave your credit card with the clerk" while you go fill your tank that give me significant heartburn.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #25
Country Coach Owners Club
I as others use the GS Card for convenience and getting in and out of the fuel lanes quickly. The only time I saw a minor problem is when we as MH people need to put in the DEF and the fill area is on the opposite side of the MH. I have seen MH drivers pull out turn around facing the wrong direction in the truck lane, because they need to put in DEF. I have also had to wait additional time when the truckers also need to be in DEF and need to wait that extra time for them to fill 2 tanks and their DEF. It's part of life and I do not let the little things in life bother me.
2007 Allure 430 & 2012 Jeep Overland
SoCal Mountains
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #26
Freightliner Owners Club
I almost always use flying j/pilots when traveling, and use the truck lanes. When mapping out our trips we always include them for stops. I strongly suggest getting the rv plus card so you can just do pay at the pump. As some else mentioned remember you are on vacation and they are working. Time is money for them, so i try and remember that when fueling up. Get fuel and move from the lane. Haven't had any issues with truckers. Most have been extremely nice and helped me once when I broke down in the fuel lane. We often overnight at them also. Used them from coast to coast.
2005 Coachmen Encore Sportscoach
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #27

Never ever have we had a problem at either of these Trucker stops..
Unless a tractor trailer is directly in front, when finished fueling, they too must pull ahead, to allow another to fuel, have never ever had one not do so..
Have also yet to have run into a Trucker with animosity just because we are in 45 ft Coach pulling a toad...on the contrary, they have expressed interest in our full timing way of life...
And has for being more expensive fuel, through the Good Sam Club, with. Pilot/Flying J credit card, we do get a discount on fuel..
These Trucker stops are a godsend as they are the only fuel stops we can easily make considering our length in some cases is longer than some Tractor/Trailer units...
We have an admiration for all Truckers and give them the right of way..all times...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	139556  
zajobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #28
Another vote for no problems using truck stops. I own a 30' TT and find pulling into the standard fuel pits for non-truckers either impossible or very painful at best. Moreover, I'm typically blocking two full pumps if I do use the non-trucker pumps.

I just follow the previously described etiquette: Get in, fuel up, get out when done. Never had a problem - not even a dirty look.

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote