Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #29
Newbie Here - Thanks and what are the abbreviations

As a newbie to the motorhome life, I read a lot of forums trying to glean all the info I can so that I don't look completely stupid when out on the road. So, I appreciate all the comments here about using the Truck Stops.

However, as I read thru forums I see a lot of abbreviations I don't understand. Can someone please enlighten me on the following? THANKS!

I know MH is motorhome, but what about DP, DW, and DEF that i saw in this thread?

2013 Itasca Sunova 30A (31')
No toad yet, but will use a tow dolly and 2015 Ford Escape when the time comes.

DWild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #30

RV Life used my pics for their recent article on this topic

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #31
Flying J/Pilot offer a RV card that you can use to start the pumps without having to go in. Still have to go in to pay. Yes, be sure to promptly pull up to the line marked on most lanes, pay promptly and get out of their way reasonably fast. We have had time pay and grab a to-go meal and park in the truck parking areas if there is plenty of room. I have had truckers say they prefer getting in line behind RVs as they can fill faster.
arl8733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #32
Smile A Smile Works

We've never had a problem dieseling up at truck stops. I've found a friendly smile as we go about our business helps. A friendly comment about the weather or asking "How's it going?" seems to always get a smile back. We use the Flying J/ Pilot stops as much as possible as the discount card makes it fast even if I have to go inside.
Rurallady, Eldertree & "Auntie Violet"

2007 Alpine Coach 36 FDTS
rurallady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by DWild1 View Post
....as I read thru forums I see a lot of abbreviations I don't understand. Can someone please enlighten me on the following? THANKS!

I know MH is motorhome, but what about DP, DW, and DEF that i saw in this thread?
Yeah it takes a while to pick up on the abbreviations ....

DP = Diesel Pusher
DW = Dear Wife
DEF = Diesel Emission Fluid (an additive that is used in many diesel engines as a means to meet exhaust emission requirement)
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
Making the truckers mad.

For heavens sakes ! You are a customer there too. The trucking community has nothing to do with whether you can use the truck fueling lanes or not. The facility owner controls that. If you were not welcome in the truck fueling lanes the owner of the station would let you know. Just do like you do at any other fueling facility by efficiently tending to your business of purchasing fuel and then leaving.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #35

I have a gasoline MH with a toad & often wonder if the truck lanes have gasoline pumps If so I would likely use them. Sometimes[ the car lanes are awkward to maneuver around.
QUOTE=Just For Fun;3252052]Hopefully one day we will be the proud (?) owner of a diesel MH (42' to 45').

While very used to and skilled (?) at fulling at the gas pumps with our 38' gas coach while pulling a toad, once we've upgraded, I'd like to use the "truck lanes" at the typical Flying J's type station. Our reasoning - if I'm correct - is that their pumps are larger and will fill our tank faster.

Question specifically for those who have the experience of fueling your MH in these diesel pumps:
1. What is the excepted way so as to not piss-off too many 18-wheeler's off. While I do realize that most of these drivers are really nice, I've found that if you enter there "professional driver" domain, they change their demeanor.
2. Do you pay first as we do at the gas pump
3. I've noticed that when a larger diesel MH lines up behind a truck at "their" fuel pumps (and have a toad making backing up very difficult) that the trucker will leave their rig at the fueling lane (in front of the MH) and go have dinner or obviously take longer to return to the pump and drive off. Yes, I've witnessed this several times!!! And it was VERY obvious.
4. Etc.
donboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #36
Tiffin Owners Club
I don't expect you will have any problems. Just pull ahead out of the pits if you have to go inside. The truckers are pretty interesting guys/gals. Except the guy with the full load of pigs who decided to hose them and his truck down one stall upwind of me. Not a pretty sight!

We are diesel fueled, and I avoid the big box truck stops whenever I can. Why? their fuel prices are high, generated for contract fuel clients; 2) their diesel is usually high bio content, which is not good for the engine, and generates less power per gallon even though the cost is higher per gallon! There are lots of smaller stations on your route that offer separate pumps for big rigs so we try to find those and patronize local owners.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #37
Considerations for navigating the "Trucker's Dominant" fuel stops.

My SAMs Club master card gives me 5% cash back which is a better return than the 8 cents off of the FJ/Pilot card. I also have the RV loyalty card which gives me 5 cents off for diesel and 3 cents off on gas per gallon. Just saying for your consideration on this subject.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #38
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just returned from a 1600 mile trip and traveled the interstates most of the way. We used Flying J and Pilots most of the time with no problems. We had no issues with the Truckers.. We just fill up and pull forward if we have to go in to pay or get a receipt just as the truckers do. For the most part they are courteous. Yes the fuel is a bit more but with 43' plus a toad, using smaller stations is a challenge sometimes. So far we've never had an issue with the big trucks. But I started wearing a disposable shoe cover to fuel up because the lanes are so grimy!!! Sure helps keep the coach cleaner!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #39
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Another vote for no problems using truck stops. I own a 30' TT and find pulling into the standard fuel pits for non-truckers either impossible or very painful at best. Moreover, I'm typically blocking two full pumps if I do use the non-trucker pumps.

I just follow the previously described etiquette: Get in, fuel up, get out when done. Never had a problem - not even a dirty look.
I also pull a travel trailer My F250 uses a standard size fuel nozzle I have found that the truck lanes only have the large nozzles that wont fit into my fuel filler Anyone else have this problem

Ron W
Colfax WI
Wolffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #40
The tax structure would be different for 18 wheelers in their fuel lane. They pay the road tax on their fuel which is different from the non18 wheeler side. Some Rvs or diesel truck would go in and ask to have that tax taken off their fuel since they are not 18wheelers might want to check before fueling so as not having to pay the D.O.T. tax for 18 wheelers.
Asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #41
Truck lanes vs Auto Diesel

Be aware that while rapid fill and easy drive through are advantages of the truck lanes, some states add road taxes to the price at the truck lanes, so you are charged more. I always phone ahead to ask if the truck lanes and auto diesel are the same price before arriving.
TheGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #42
Huge Volume Deliver Difference

I'm with Selah, There really is no significant reason to fear using the Truck Fuel Centers and one huge advantage - actually a couple now that I think about it: 1. The large volume hoses and nozzles with high volume pumps put out a significantly greater flow to fill your tank than the 'Vehicle' diesel islands. I am done with 100 gallons in a third of the time; 2. The ingress/egress and multiple lanes usually means a seamless and easy in-n-out.
Never had anything other than a smile and friendly nod from a commercial driver. Points made above: have your act together, handle your rig like you know what you are doing and be courteous. Like most other walks of life, you get treated in like-kind.

mjbergh is offline   Reply With Quote