Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 for Pilot/Flying J. Use them exclusively. Always easy access and never had any problems with the truckers. Actually the truckers are very helpful giving directions and best roads to take. I'd rather spend a few cents more than damaging my motorhome at a limited access gas station.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #44

Let me tell you, I drove tractor trailers for 35 yrs. before retiring. I have seen many trucks park at the pumps and go eat or what ever. Some are just ignorant, but most will fuel and pull up if there is room, and go pay and leave. Do the same as they do and you won't have any trouble

Old 09-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #45

I am a trucker who frequently fuels and sleeps at flying js and I can tell you one day while fueling I noticed a dp pull up behind me in line and this got me so angry that after fueling I locked my truck and went in for dinner. When I came out an hour later the dp was still sitting behind me because he didn't want to unhook his toad. There was no way I was going to let this dp fuel at a pump that I had just used so I crawled into my bunk and went to sleep. My story is rediculous and false just like the ops sorry. We truckers have no issues with rvers especially me because I am an rver.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #46

Considerations for navigating the "Trucker's Dominant" fuel stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl8733 View Post
Flying J/Pilot offer a RV card that you can use to start the pumps without having to go in. Still have to go in to pay...

No you don't! The Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card allows you to pay at the pump. I never go inside to pay.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #47

Truckers don't own the road or the fuel pumps. I pull a 20ft tandem axle flat bed for my car behind a 2007 Damon Tuscany and fuel at the truck pumps. Once in a while you have a truck sit there but I get them moving. Most stations dont let them sit after they pay. And most are prepay. I have found some off brands will let you run your card and the pump. Most are setup for fleet accounts which pay at the pump. Good luck, catch you down the road
Old 09-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
The only time I saw a minor problem is when we as MH people need to put in the DEF and the fill area is on the opposite side of the MH. I have seen MH drivers pull out turn around facing the wrong direction in the truck lane, because they need to put in DEF.
OK. Something else I did not know. So if I do not bring my own DEF to fill my rig, there is a DEF pump at these stations?? If yes, what is the "typical" charge per gallon? Does it tend to be significantly higher than, say, WalMart?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #49

In addition to the other comments, I would add that truck fueling stations require card entry and fueling access on the DRIVER'S side. This requires sometimes having to remove the pump nozzle on the left side, lay it down, and fill your rig on the right. If you're lucky, some RVs allow left side fueling as well, so you can fill DOUBLE time! After filling, return BOTH nozzles to the pumps to stop the counters and get your amounts. And, before going to pay, pull your RV (& toad) forward past the line ahead, THEN do your payment. And everyone's happy. Most truck stops have parking, but most are only back-in, so going in for meals can be tricky. Find some out of the way place to park, if at ALL possible! If you are gone soon, most truckers won't bellyache much. Remember, THEY are at work, even if YOU aren't~!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #50

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had a diesel, so no need to use the big boy pumps. We do have what I would call a mom and pop type of Flying J, that has a pump set aside for RVs, which also has a dumping station. It also has a huge truck parking lot. Since this place is a couple of miles from a lake that has no sewer hook ups or dumping station, we use this place a lot.

Never had what I would call a problem with a trucker, just mostly ignored. I work for a living myself, and I understand not being in the mood to shoot the breeze with a stranger when I'm dog tired. I figure they are just like the genera public, mostly nice, decent folks, with a few jerks thrown in here and there.

I did have something happen once that I thought was very strange. We were too late to check in to the lake one Friday night, so we used a spot in the huge parking lot for the night. As far as the size of the lot, picture 2 football fields side by side, plus.

It was about 2am when we arrived, and I knew we would be leaving around 9am the same morning. Even though the lot was way less than half full, I parked in the farthest corner from the store/subway/dunkin doughnuts/gas pumps. Literally the farthest corner spot. Just like I would do at a Walmart.

Now even though there were more empty spots than full, imagine our surprise when we open the door to find a big rig parked so close that we could have almost hit it with our door! How in the world he didn't wake us up when he parked, I will never know.

Aside from being very strange, I got the feeling that a message was being sent that we were somehow trespassing on sacred ground. We let the dog do her business, and we were on our way. I guess if you do this long enough, eventually you will see everything.

If there are any truckers out there that can tell me what unwritten rule we broke, I'm all ears. I'd like to know, because there is a good chance we will do this again at the same place. Or if I'm just reading something in to the situation that really isn't there, I'd like to know that as well. Just keep in mind that there were so many empty spots that I would have considered it just as strange if I had been in my car, at a grocery store lot.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yes, read this ^^^ thread folks.
I don't use truck stops. Don't need to! The new fuel station designs have plenty of room.
The reasons are clear in this ^^^ thread.
Lose the fear. Save $. Get cash back on your CC. Keep your shoes clean. Etc.
Amen, you said it all. Go to Gasbuddy.com and save many $$. Dirty shoes! so true, we where wondering why our carpet got so dirty, found out that the diesel truck lane is soaked with diesel.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #52

Gas Pumps at Truck Lanes ?

So are there gasoline pumps at the truck lanes or just diesel pumps?
And, when using a regular gas station, if there is not a clearance posted on the overhang does that mean it is over a certain height - like greater than 13'? I sure don't want to get hung up on the overhane ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Deb
2013 Itasca Sunova 30A (31')
Old 09-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #53
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWild1 View Post
So are there gasoline pumps at the truck lanes or just diesel pumps?

And, when using a regular gas station, if there is not a clearance posted on the overhang does that mean it is over a certain height - like greater than 13'? I sure don't want to get hung up on the overhane ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Deb

2013 Itasca Sunova 30A (31')

This will help you
http://rvlife.com/accessing-fuel-sta...#comment-25988

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #54

Something else I did not know.

So if I do not bring my own DEF to fill my rig, is there is a DEF pump at these stations?? If yes, what is the "typical" charge per gallon? Does it tend to be significantly higher than, say, WalMart?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CarlAda
I've had more problems with inconsiderate automobile drivers blocking me in than I've ever had at a truck fueling lane.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #56

I have noticed the same thing as "just for fun" did. Don't know why. Like you said maybe entering their domain. Also they are at work while we "rich old farts" are just out riding around. Most are OK, but there are always a few that like to make it miserable. I remember once in Ft. Myers, Fla at a Pilot, I sat and waited for a driver to move for 15 minutes. That was after I was done fueling.

Love the RV lanes. Yes Pilot is usually more per gallon but it's good fuel. The RV lanes are a nice convenience, and the stores are clean.

I'm a retired truck driver. I've seen both sides.

Tags
fuel