Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #57

I guess I find it hard to believe that a trucker would sit and not move for 15 minutes or so - even if there was a RV behind him. He would, in addition, be holding up another trucker that's sitting behind the RV.

Our experience was the truckers fuel up and quickly move on or pull into a parking spot.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #58

IMHO there is nothing wrong with truck stops. Yes, some are greasy but I have seen plenty of regular stations that are just as greasy. Also have seen more inconsiderate people at regular stations than I have seen at truck stops. I have also been held up longer at regular stations while people screw around than I have ever exprienced at a truck stop. Overall truck stops have better access and I think that is worth the few cents more I "may" have to pay. For those that don't like them, just don't go there.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I guess I find it hard to believe that a trucker would sit and not move for 15 minutes or so - even if there was a RV behind him. He would, in addition, be holding up another trucker that's sitting behind the RV..

I've seen some truckers that park at the pump, go in and take a shower, and grab some food to go. Then come out and drive off without even getting fuel! The are the exception though not the rule.

When I drove a truck over the road, I'd fuel, pull forward, go inside for my receipt, then go park. I would then get my shower, eat, and then go back to my truck to sleep.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #60

I pulled into a truck stop last night at midnight and had to circle like a shark to find a spot for my truck for the night. Didnt see any rvers but being an rver it would not have bothered me. The occasional non rving trucker might get ticked if an rv took the last spot but tough cookies....rvs are allowed.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I pulled into a truck stop last night at midnight and had to circle like a shark to find a spot for my truck for the night. Didnt see any rvers but being an rver it would not have bothered me. The occasional non rving trucker might get ticked if an rv took the last spot but tough cookies....rvs are allowed.
Just keep your slides in if it is the least bit crowded!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #62

National RV Owners Club
Problem I have had is my coach fills on the passenger side, the local Marathon I usually full at the master pump is on the driver's side. I had to ask for help on how to fill it.
What I have to do is fire up the master pump on the driver's side remove the handle and lay it on the ground, yes I said lay it on the ground, go around to the passenger side and put $75 worth in it. then, I have to shut down both pumps, and stat over again to fill. Some times I need to do it a third time depending on price and volume needed. I really don't like the idea of laying the pump handle on the ground but there isn't any where else to put it and if I put it back in the pump the other pump will not work. Anyone else have this issue?
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
Problem I have had is my coach fills on the passenger side, the local Marathon I usually full at the master pump is on the driver's side. I had to ask for help on how to fill it.
What I have to do is fire up the master pump on the driver's side remove the handle and lay it on the ground, yes I said lay it on the ground, go around to the passenger side and put $75 worth in it. then, I have to shut down both pumps, and stat over again to fill. Some times I need to do it a third time depending on price and volume needed. I really don't like the idea of laying the pump handle on the ground but there isn't any where else to put it and if I put it back in the pump the other pump will not work. Anyone else have this issue?
Why do you only put $75 worth at a time?
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I guess I find it hard to believe that a trucker would sit and not move for 15 minutes or so - even if there was a RV behind him. He would, in addition, be holding up another trucker that's sitting behind the RV.

Our experience was the truckers fuel up and quickly move on or pull into a parking spot.
Last year I stopped at the Love's truck stop in Tehachapi California. All truck lanes had at least one truck at the pump and some had trucks in line waiting. I pulled in behind a truck that didn't have anyone behind them and shut my engine down to wait for the trucker to fill and move forward.

I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally after about 15 minutes (and not seeing any activity at his pump) I was ready to get the plate number and go inside to have the cashier use the PA system to locate the driver. Just as I was getting out, the driver came out of the building and immediately came over to me and apologize saying that when he went in to pay (he should have moved forward before doing this), he had an attack of "intestinal unrest" and didn't feel he had time to come back out and move his truck and then go back inside to the restroom.

Even tho the standard protocol is to move forward prior to going back in to pay, I felt sorry for his "intestinal unrest" situation and accepted his apology.

No big deal, but I gotta admit it tested my patience.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I have filled at "smaller than truck stops" that take the cc at the pump. You bet the transaction is usually limited to $75. You can also go in and give them your card and they'll just let you fill all the way up instead. If it's crowded you may be better off doing it your way though.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #66

I have been using Pilot/Flying J for over 10 years now. Yes, they aren't the cheapest but competitive with surrounding truck stops. I use a Good Sam Pilot RV charge card which gets me $0.08 off per gallon. The only ignorant people I have run into there have been others RVers. A couple of time I have seen where the pull into the RV fueling area fuel up and then go inside, one time they when into eat with their rig blocing not only pumps but the waste dump. When I've gone back to the truck fueling area, except for being a little hectic, I have never had a problem.
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #67

Master/Slave pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickelhead View Post
Why do you only put $75 worth at a time?
It is not an issue at all, you are dealing with a system set up for filling tanks from driver/passenger side at same time...so that tractors can fill up twice as fast..if you have access to your RV tank on both driver and passenger side then you can do the same, driver side pump is Master and must be ON before you can use SLAVE on passenger side..
zajobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel