Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #1

Considerations for navigating the "Trucker's Dominant" fuel stops.

Hopefully one day we will be the proud (?) owner of a diesel MH (42' to 45').

While very used to and skilled (?) at fulling at the gas pumps with our 38' gas coach while pulling a toad, once we've upgraded, I'd like to use the "truck lanes" at the typical Flying J's type station. Our reasoning - if I'm correct - is that their pumps are larger and will fill our tank faster.

Question specifically for those who have the experience of fueling your MH in these diesel pumps:
1. What is the excepted way so as to not piss-off too many 18-wheeler's off. While I do realize that most of these drivers are really nice, I've found that if you enter there "professional driver" domain, they change their demeanor.
2. Do you pay first as we do at the gas pump
3. I've noticed that when a larger diesel MH lines up behind a truck at "their" fuel pumps (and have a toad making backing up very difficult) that the trucker will leave their rig at the fueling lane (in front of the MH) and go have dinner or obviously take longer to return to the pump and drive off. Yes, I've witnessed this several times!!! And it was VERY obvious.
4. Etc.
And a rather large and very hairy Bear for a traveling companion
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #2

Hmmmm....

I've been fulltiming for almost 11 years and have fueled up at countless truck stops. Never managed to P-off a commercial trucker or see one PO-ed at any RVer. In my experience they basically go about their business, ignore RVers at worst, are cordial and friendly at best.

I've never seen a commercial driver block access to a pump while they go to dinner. They normally pull forward immediately after fueling. If they do not come back out relatively quickly, I suspect something else is going on, like the truck stop computers are down, etc. THAT I have seen happen, and is not the truckers fault.

I follow what seems to be their process and we all seem to get along. 1) Pull up to pump, 2) Go inside and provide a credit card for payment, 3) fill up, 4) pull up enough so that the next vehicle can enter the bay, 5) go inside and settle up, 6) be on my merry way.

Once in all the years, I was blocked from EXITING the fueling bay due to a parked truck that had pulled up. Turns out that was the case where the computers were down and the whole operation came to a standstill.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Used Flying J for years, no problems. Quit using them after the Pilot takeover, they are some of the most expensive. Gas Buddy and Google Earth will find stations and help keep your wallet a little fatter.

Another option Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder

Be alert, pull forward and fuel, pull forward and pay if it didn't let you use your card.
The DW and I use 2 way radios, if we need to prepay or go inside to pump start, she handles the inside part..
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

1. I guess I'm somewhat confused. You start by saying you're unfamiliar with the diesel lanes, but then offer that you're familiar enough to detect an attitude shift among professional truckers you've never met. This seems contradictory. If you act in an adult manner, and go about your business in a focused and reasonable way nobody has cause to be upset. They're just trying to earn a living like most folks.

2. Yes, pay inside as described above. There are a few credit cards that allow full pay-at-the-pump, in which case you can stay outside.

3. I have never witnessed any such thing. I always fuel at large truck stops, so I've certainly had the opportunity to observe the event, should it ever have occurred. Since by your own words you are unfamiliar with the diesel side, I'll offer you the benefit of the doubt and presume you to have grossly misunderstood whatever it was that you observed. I'm surmising that the reality was not so VERY obvious as it appeared.

4. Etc.? What "et cetera"? Do you have more specific points?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #5

We've never witnessed truckers leaving their rig by the pumps and going in to have dinner. This would hold up not only the RVer behind but also other truckers on a time schedule. It doesn't happen.

Be polite to the truckers and you'll get the same in return. Many have commented on our MH and in talking to them that short time were interested in our lifestyle and where we're heading.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 AM   #6

I use a Good Sam Lifetime member credit card with FlyingJ, swipe card at pump, pump fuel, get receit at pump and go. Never have to go inside and get 8cents off the cash price. I used to be a Owner-Operater and understand both sides.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have a look here, most of the reasons some always use vs never use, love vs hate have been recorded in this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ps-300032.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Flying J/Pilot RV Plus charge card will allow you to swipe at the pump in the truck lanes. No more inside trips for me!
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
The Flying J/Pilot RV Plus charge card will allow you to swipe at the pump in the truck lanes. No more inside trips for me!
I applied for the Flying J/Pilot RV Plus charge card back at the end of July - in anticipation of a trip to Arizona. On July 26th, shortly after submitting my application - I received a "Welcome" email which included the "last 6 digits" of the card # and a "control #" which is apparently something that must be entered when actually using the card. The email said that the card itself would be received via "snail mail" within 4 weeks.

The 4 weeks came and went with no card. I sent and email - to which they responded and apologized for the inconvenience, promising to send another card.

Unfortunately, yesterday we left on our trip nearly 7 weeks after receiving the first email advising that the card was on the way - without actually receiving a card. Needless to say - I'm underwhelmed by their service so far.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #10

My experience mirrors that of tkcas01. Here are a couple of suggestions that I follow.
When parking behind a truck in the fuel line leave at least 10 feet or more space. Some of the newer trucks have there DEF tank in front of their fuel tank requiring them to back up 5-6 feet to get DEF. if you have a toad you cannot back up to accommodate them.
The Pilot/FJ charge card allows you to pump and go. No need to go inside.
If you travel out west you should get a Pacific Pride fuel card as the predominate truck stops are card lock. You can get theses from Pioneer Fuel. These cards are also honored at Loves truck stops. I haven't tested my card at a Loves so I don't know if it allows pump and go or that the card is just honored there.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I applied for the Flying J/Pilot RV Plus charge card back at the end of July - in anticipation of a trip to Arizona. On July 26th, shortly after submitting my application - I received a "Welcome" email which included the "last 6 digits" of the card # and a "control #" which is apparently something that must be entered when actually using the card. The email said that the card itself would be received via "snail mail" within 4 weeks.

The 4 weeks came and went with no card. I sent and email - to which they responded and apologized for the inconvenience, promising to send another card.

Unfortunately, yesterday we left on our trip nearly 7 weeks after receiving the first email advising that the card was on the way - without actually receiving a card. Needless to say - I'm underwhelmed by their service so far.
Yes, four weeks was a long time to wait for a card these days. Unlike yours, mine did arrive. Maybe you can get them to FedEx you one. I realize you shouldn't have to work that hard to set up a way for them to get your money but being able to use the truck lanes without having to go inside was worth it to me.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Have a look here, most of the reasons some always use vs never use, love vs hate have been recorded in this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ps-300032.html

Yes, read this ^^^ thread folks.
I don't use truck stops. Don't need to! The new fuel station designs have plenty of room.
The reasons are clear in this ^^^ thread.
Lose the fear. Save $. Get cash back on your CC. Keep your shoes clean. Etc.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #13

Just remember....they are at work...and you are on vacation. Be considerate of their time.
Esc Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #14

I read the above thread "The Big Truck Stops" and I just don't get it. What is so hard about fueling at a truck stop. Other than being bigger with a bigger fuel tank it's no different than fueling up a car. Yes some trucks stops a dirty, so what? It's not like your going to live there. Ingress and egress is always easy and I have not seen these huge price differences some people talk about. You can probably drive 10 miles off the interstate and find it a little cheaper but prices between stations at the same exit are always competitive. Plus with the Pilot charge card you get the cash price and a discount.
I see truck stops as one of the great advantages of a DP.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel