Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

Considering 2011 Monaco Knight...

Am running thru the in my head argument of: do I buy "better but older" vs buying "new but lower model level" and wanted to ask about Monaco DP. The candidate is a Monaco 2011 Knight 36' w MaxxForce engine. I've heard about Monaco going downhill then closing up for a few years but don't know much beyond that.

Was 2011 part of the problem years?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomon View Post
Am running thru the in my head argument of: do I buy "better but older" vs buying "new but lower model level" and wanted to ask about Monaco DP. The candidate is a Monaco 2011 Knight 36' w MaxxForce engine. I've heard about Monaco going downhill then closing up for a few years but don't know much beyond that.

Was 2011 part of the problem years?

2011 was during Navistar's ownership of Monaco and is the reason for the MaxxForce engine. No particular issues but the engine needed to be upgraded with a computer reflash under warranty.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2011 Monaco Knight 36PFT and have had no problems with it. The MaxxForce runs great. Recently took a trip from California to Texas and back, averaged 9.44 MPG towing a Jeep Wrangler (calculated). The only problem I did have was the "brain" of the Tecma toilet died, replacement brain is $300 but this was a Thetford problem, not Monaco.
desertvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 40' 2011 Monaco Knight PDQ. Had a lot of little things repaired under warranty when first picked up unit. Great coach and engine.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

Geomon - Both the Monaco and HR's used a Roadmaster Chassis. Unfortunately, the design of the chassis has a design flaw, which causes swaying and wandering. There is a very extensive blog about this on the IRV2 site. Yes, it can be corrected, but not cheaply. From what I read, it is more pronounced on the smaller motorhomes - like 36 footers. I read both pro and con about the MaxForce. At the design outset, it was intended to do away with DEP fluid and less hardware to make it compliant with clean air standards. Great idea - poor execution. Based upon these two factors, I would recommend looking at another manufacture.

Regards
Mark S.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4317 Tax Axle, ISL 425HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Geomon - Both the Monaco and HR's used a Roadmaster Chassis. Unfortunately, the design of the chassis has a design flaw, which causes swaying and wandering. There is a very extensive blog about this on the IRV2 site. Yes, it can be corrected, but not cheaply. From what I read, it is more pronounced on the smaller motorhomes - like 36 footers. I read both pro and con about the MaxForce. At the design outset, it was intended to do away with DEP fluid and less hardware to make it compliant with clean air standards. Great idea - poor execution. Based upon these two factors, I would recommend looking at another manufacture.

Regards
Mark S.
I'm thinking there are a lot of happy owners with the 2011-14 Monaco Knights and Holiday Rambler Ambassadors. As for the Maxxforce 10 most owners have had no problems and are really happy with them.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post

Regards
Mark S.
I have made the modifications to my Roadmaster chassis and I though the cost was very low compared to other chassis modifications I did which had no effect. This issue is not related to the Navistar built coaches but to some Roadmaster chassis back to the beginning.
As for the Maxxforce 10 engine, it does not require the use of DEF which works just fine in the Maxxforce 10, the problems were related to the larger 13 series engines.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco